im manly writing this to hopefully encourage you fine folks to check out  Wil's YM mini synth (kit or completely assembled) at Stray Technologies. Most of you probably already know of the Ym chip from the atari and sinclair computer systems, for those that dont the Ym has a rich and unique sound that you simply can not duplicate, its simplicity and character is undeniable.
  Now if you are lucky enough to be in england, germany or any other of the eu countries then finding an atari falcon or 1040 ste  may not be to difficult, but here in the U.S its is. i personally find the Ym mini synth to be a great alternative in the interum. the Ym mini synth wont replace an atari STE running Gwem's (amazing) Maxymiser or Dark Angels Musicmon, but when you combine it with your favorite midi program (or tracker, mine being Renoise ) you can get about 90% there. Wil is a great guy and is willing to work with you on small but significant mods for your personal Ym synth ( audio out puts, usb mods...etc.)...Ive emailed this guy probably 9 times and he's always been helpful and patient with my requests. im not trying to stroke this guys rubarb, but i do believe that his take on this wonderful sound source deserves a second and third look from those that might be interested in an affordable way to obtain YM sound in your music.
This little synth has led me to other great options aswell like STEem atari software emulator, and Gwems Maxymiser tracker for the atari systems...check them out, as they are great and deserve a strong consideration if you choose to go the extra miles for that YM chip sound in your music...
As a side note i have tried to contact the STEem team in relation to seeing if they could write a midi driver ( Wil suggested it, so i gave it a shot) but to no avail...if anyone knows how to get in contact with these guys...please do...i think you'll agree that it would be an amazing thing to bring this chip home and into a new chapter of Atari Ym-ness)....Also...Gwem if your out there, please write a program for this synth your the only one who can do it...ive asked wil about effects...but he said he didnt want to step on your toes( out of respect for your work with the YM ), but this baby needs a SID wave...and your the man to get it...:)....Im not going to bore you with detail...simply go to Stray Technologies.com or google YM synth...to get all of the specs and such, oh...check out his other work as well (vblank kits, and his blipmonotronic mods aswell...good stuff........cheers...DK

Philly, PA, USA

I've seen the YM synth, and it's really awesome, I've considered getting one, but it would be a little silly for myself as I don't really make music. but it's definitely a cool device.

London

the hatari guys may be interested in doing a driver. they've come a long way lately.