Adelaide, Australia

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I just got a new DMG but there's no sound. I thought it was the speaker so I swapped the front circut from another gameboy. Still no sound. Then I try the screen original screen on the other PCB and it works so the problem has to be on the PCB. I get sound from the headphone jack though. It's completely unmodified. So I'm not sure what's up. Quite curious indeed...

It's a CPU-04 if that helps in any way.

Rhode Island

Well, seeing as you had attached 2 separate front pcbs to the back i would assume the problem lies in the back pcb itself. even though the sound can come out of the headphones jack it doesnt mean that it is being transferred to the front pcb properly. One way to test this theory would be to hook up the front pcb that came with your new DMG to the back pcb of your other one. see if the speaker works then. i am willing to bet that it does

Adelaide, Australia
xandox wrote:

Then I try the original screen on the other PCB and it works so the problem has to be on the PCB.

Already did that as per the first post. I already know the problem is with the back PCB.

Rhode Island

ah misread your original post. my apologies. check the solder points on the back pcb. make sure none are touching/running into each other. im at a loss otherwise

clovis CA

if you can do a pro sound, then i think you can do this =]

id do this

1. wire the left and right channel together (makes it mono)
2. solder you mono channel to the speaker
3. solder your ground from your speaker

SHAZAM! i think that there might be a problem with ohms or something..... stupid ohms law........

Matthew Joseph Payne

I'd do this.

1. not care

Since you have another DMG with a working speaker, and the speakers sound so shitty anyway, there's very little use for it.

It's somewhat curious, but I imagine something is blown in the internal amp for the speaker.

Sweeeeeeden
pr0n wrote:

if you can do a pro sound, then i think you can do this =]

id do this

1. wire the left and right channel together (makes it mono)
2. solder you mono channel to the speaker
3. solder your ground from your speaker

SHAZAM! i think that there might be a problem with ohms or something..... stupid ohms law........

Yeah, there's a problem with "or something". smile
Don't short outputs to each other!

Does the headphone jack work with headphones? My guess in this case would be that the switch inside the headphone jack is worn out, such that the speaker is always disabled. (Normally only when you insert something to the jack.)

Riverside, CA

Just tear that thing out, who uses a speaker anyway?

Adelaide, Australia

I was partly curious if it was a sign of any further problems. I've put a 1/2 speed crystal in it for now. I may use it for a GetLoFi pitch bend mod sometime in the future.

MA

Hey guys,
I realize this is a little bit late (6 years), but I just got a DMG off of eBay with the same issue. The seller had mentioned there being corrosion and upon opening it I noticed some of it spilled into the board with the headphone jack. As Nitro2k01 mentioned, it was the switch in the headphone jack not making contact that was the issue. All I had to do was clean it with a little bit of alcohol, plug and unplug my headphones a couple of times and voila, it worked!
In short, if you're having this issue, try cleaning the headphone jack out and plugging and unplugging some headphones a couple of times to fix it! For anyone else having this issue, I hope this helps!
P.S. Here's a link explaining the same issue and how to fix it:
http://www.dbwbp.com/index.php/repair/1 … und-repair

Last edited by ssjoel3k (Jul 31, 2017 9:09 pm)