Rhode Island

I saw a post a while back that linked to http://authspot.com/thoughts/dmg-01-bass-mod/

Basically he suggests removing 2 capacitors from the board to increase the bass output. Well I never heard much from the community after this post and I wanted to try it out and see how it sounded.

Had some spare time last night to try it out as well as capture the results in an mp3 so you can judge for yourself if it is worth it.

Posted both the what I did and the results on my blog. Here are the links to the articles:
http://2playermusic.tumblr.com/post/403 … dmg-moddin
http://2playermusic.tumblr.com/post/403 … arisons-on

I'll be happy to try out anything people suggest as well. Didn't have as much time as I would have liked to mess around with this.

Taichung, Taiwan

Dude, post this up on 8bc!

Chicago IL
katsumbhong wrote:

Dude, post this up on 8bc!

why?

Rhode Island

I posted it here first as most people on CM seem to be more technically savy and don't have the tendency to turn every post into a troll fest.

That being said, I'll post on 8bc as well just because I think the information may be helpful.

Unsubscribe

good research!

Ciudad de méxico, MX

I don't like it. the clipping on the "prosound mod" is missed on the recording, but from what can i hear on the headphone output the bass mod is clippy. I prefer to pump the bass from the mixer instead of having issues with more clipping.

if there's a way to bypass the capacitors and add an extra output just for the sake of having this bass output it will be nice.

thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Analog (Mar 23, 2011 8:16 pm)

Matthew Joseph Payne

Potentially one could remove only one capacitor, and pan all their kicks and basslines to that side.

Rhode Island

Well that is true but what would be the practical application? I never keep something panned completely to one side unless I have dueling leads

Milwaukee, WI

Interesting.  I'd love to see a more technical tear down of this as to why there is clipping, etc.

Rhode Island

Well I would guess the capacitors serve as some kind of compressor

Matthew Joseph Payne

In line capacitors act as a low cut filter - presumably they were put here to avoid blowing out the cheap speaker and/or headphones that came with the gameboy. I assume it's clipping because the low end information is now wholly uncontrolled, and low end information generates more energy.

We'd probably find better results with replacing the resistors, rather than removing them entirely. Experimentation with different values is in order.

USA

Interesting.

Stick in a pot, find the sweet spot, replace for good?
Or alternatively keep variable for extra control... Could be fun!

Recently broke my gb screen in the earthquake should have a go at something like this

Rhode Island

Not too bad of an idea. If you wanted it permanently variable you would need two pots. One for left one for right sound. Can't jump both with one or you get mono sound

Rhode Island

Sorry fellas, realized my post may have been misconstrued. Referring to it

2. This audio is distorted. You can hear popping on the recording and it sounds like absolute trash
4. This audio clips when recording (loudest parts suppressed so it may all seem like the same volume) There is no popping and the audio sounds clear.

I will post the .wavs for comparison tonight. There is a little added umph in the bass so it may still be of practical use. Just need to keep experimenting

USA

Post some sound samples with flat eq settings on your mix, please.

I want to hear the "actual" sound not the mixed or mastered sound.

From my research the best setup for capturing proper DMG sound is to pro-sound mod your DMG with the wires connected pre-volume potentiometer so you get the full spectrum at full volume going into your mixer, recording console(line level input), or to a keyboard amp with a decent mic(I like the shure SM57 mic). Then do your mixing and mastering after you record the "raw" sound. I usualy add effects, mix and master a copy of the recording so I can keep a "pure" version of the original recording incase I need it for something.