NZ

Hey all,

I've just come across chiptunes as a whole a couple of months ago and it's quite successfully blown my mind. I've listened to a number of artists featured on the Reformat the Planet doco by 2 player productions, and I'm just wondering if there's a way people consider different artists in regards to genre, or timbre... Anamanaguchi rock out the NES, but complement it with traditional instruments, others use an amalgam of programs and instruments with a chip sound still at the heart of their songs.

Also, Anamanaguchi have a definite pop rock vibe, vastly different to glomag, who is again different to Bit shifter... Can anyone point me in the direction of artists that write specifically with a hacked 8bit device (Gameboy, NES, C64) and that alone?

A lot of people use LSDJ. I am one of those people, my music's at frostbyte1.bandcamp.com. You might wanna look at these people too:

Bit Shifter
Saskrotch
Nullsleep
Chipzel
Electric Children (electricchildren8bit.bandcamp.com)
minusbaby

They're all really really good, and better than I can imagine ever being.

NZ

Sweet tunes man, I've listened to some Bit Shifter, Nullsleep, glomag, Starscream... Just listening to Saskrotch's "Mega Man 2 Medley" and loving it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, how would you classify yourself other than a chiptunes artist. If the chip is the instrument, what kind of genre would you consider you fit under?

I'm not saying it's necessary, I'm just fascinated by how big a scope this sound can cover.

hardcore, Australia

If the limit of your imagination is below being as good as those people, then you need to dream harder.

Sydney, Australia

The chip and it's sound are the MEDIUM, you can make ANY genre with chip sounds just like with any other medium/instrument. Although I prefer things that don't fit into genres at all.

NZ

Vicious, any artists you could recommend? favourites etc?

Philly, PA, USA

Chip music isn't even really a medium or a genre, it's kind of an aesthetic, just about the feel of some of the sounds used. It's almost pointless to categorize anything as chip music. There are tons of chip music artist who make music in a range of genres from the psych-rock style of Cheap Dinocaurs, to the electro house of Knife City, to the speedcore style of IAYD, and the gabber/amigacore of stagediver, and still there's the IDM stuff, and the powerpop stuff, and the jazzy stuff, and the metal stuff, and whatever. Trying to ask what kind of genre chipmusic is is totally ridiculous. It would be like saying, "ok, so what genre is a four piece band?" you can't do it.

as for good artists, start on 8bitpeoples and Pause, then just find the big list of netlabels and find more things.

godinpants wrote:

If the limit of your imagination is below being as good as those people, then you need to dream harder.

I can't tell whether to take that as inspiration or an insult haha.

rochester, ny

the way i classify it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that it's a gameboy. a song is jazz, metal, trance, or whatever no matter what instruments made it. that's how i look at it.

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩
godinpants wrote:

Look at his avatar...
Now just ignore him

Melbourne, Australia

Lighten up guys... Perhaps a picture of where I'm currently posting from (Banana lounge outside my bungalow in Mui Ne, Vietnam) will help freshen the mood. Either that or try using the snow theme for a day and see if that helps. If pain persists see your doctor.

hardcore, Australia

New Topic: How fucking good is Celsius' beard right now? Dude belongs in the jazz hall of fame or something.

Edit: Answer to the question - "heaps lush"

Last edited by godinpants (Apr 7, 2011 5:28 am)

hardcore, Australia

It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how he keeps (his face) from going under (the razor).

Tokyo, Japan

I would have a wade through this lot

http://www.iimusic.net/category/catalog

It is all very high quality spanning all kinds of genres. Try these guys

??? - Wall You Need is Love (heavenly dub)
C-jeff - Electric (Epic prog)
Alex Mauer - Lo-Gear (downtempo VGM style)
little-scale - Dynasty (Experimental headfuck)

I must confess though, I think if one concentrates overly on the genre/equipment you are somewhat missing the point.

celsius wrote:

Lighten up guys...

STFU If you weren't on a beach somewhere in some tiedye wearing, Leonardo Decaprio loving,  hippy commune you would have closed this thread hours ago.

Melbourne, Australia
Lazerbeat wrote:
celsius wrote:

Lighten up guys...

STFU If you weren't on a beach somewhere in some tiedye wearing, Leonardo Decaprio loving,  hippy commune you would have closed this thread hours ago.

QFT

Melbourne, Australia
Lazerbeat wrote:
celsius wrote:

Lighten up guys...

I laughed so hard at this I almost threw up. So very, very true.