England

KR049 - Da Pantz – Uptown, Baby!

Now if it wasn’t for the Bronx/ This rap shit probably never would be goin’ on/ So tell me where you from?/ Uptown Baby, Uptown Baby/ We gets down baby/ Up for the crown baby – Lord Taiq & Peter Gunz, “Deja Vú (Uptown Baby)”

On April 4th, 2009, I wrote the first song on this record; a post-it note featuring a crudely drawn arpeggiator became “Here Come the Pretzels!”, a reference to watching The Simpsons with my family that inspired me to explore the autobiographical nature of home.

A tribute to project housing and salsa music became “Elevators”. I synthesized the increasing acceleration of my cousin’s Chevy Tahoe into the EP’s title track. Most telling, however, is the album’s central effort, a celebration of friendship named after one of many physical connections to my peers throughout Brooklyn: “Triborough Bridge”. Indeed, while at first glance this seems to be yet another salute to the Bronx, a closer look reveals what’s really being said underneath the raucous shouts of “BX ALL DAY”: that it’s time to fucking party with my friends. Let’s GO! – Da Pantz

http://www.kittenrock.co.uk

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

I dug it.

NJ

YEAH BUDDY

Westfield, NJ

I can almost see the alleyways in my head.

Neo Jersey

nice, dude! i really like triborough bridge.

Bronx, NY

Thanks y'all! Keep your eyes peeled for the Triborough Bridge music video soon, too.

Last edited by IAYD (Feb 21, 2017 2:23 am)

I will absolutely give this a listen! Looks like a great release.

Bronx, NY

Thanks, looking forward to yours, and everyone else's feedback

A great blend of chaotic and rhythmic. Some parts sound like a touch of minusbaby, and Triborough Bridge especially had the fighting spirit that only something like Streets of Rage previously provided, all with a unique brand of Da Pantz. Killer release.

Last edited by an0va (Apr 12, 2011 2:30 am)

Bronx, NY

Thanks ! Worked hard on this one, glad you enjoy.

If anyone's interested, I made a little ringtone pack for this release: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3357484/Uptown_ … e_Pack.zip

Enjoy!

NY, US

On Uptown, Baby!, chip music's fledgling John Cage arranges his prepared Game Boy instruments into a quavering lattice, like what the molecules in a crystal radio receiver might sound like if they sang in shrill, oscillating voices. Sandwiched between the frenetic "Flip" and "Here Come the Pretzels!" is the more paced and head-bobbingly mature structure of the title track, while "Triborough Bridge" surprises with—what?!—an ominous and brooding melody among percussive arps and static. Starting his musical career at 'dystopian art noise', with each release Da Pantz runs closer towards 'romantic power pop', pausing only to high-five Nullsleep headed past in the opposite direction.

—Jessen Jurado—

Last edited by EMdash (Apr 21, 2011 9:32 pm)

Los Angeles, CA

BUMP.
Been listening to this a lot in the past couple of days. I think my favorite thing about it is that it's completely unique. For me it's a style that requires a certain mood to listen to (which I guess can be said for all styles), but it's a completely fresh sound with some very interesting programming and melodies. And I really dig it. I also like that each song has it's own distinct sound...one thing I've run into a lot while listening to new EPs is that the songs all tend to blend together to me on the first few listens, which isn't the case here.

Favorite track is definitely Triborough Bridge. Here Come The Pretzels! is also fucking killer. Sounds like a glitched out arcade machine that is struggling to pump out something melodic. I love it!

Bronx, NY

I appreciate that, dude...thanks! Pretzels is so much fun to play live, I oughta do that more often