Frostbyte wrote:

For example, if I used a synth in FL studio and set it only to triangle waves and wrote my bass in there, then another instrument on square waves and wrote my melody in there, that would be fakebit. It sounds like 8 bit and what not, just not written on an NES or a gameboy.

The "fake" in fakebit is the problem with the term really, you might as well be calling them cheaters.

Last edited by 4mat (Apr 11, 2011 12:58 am)

I know, I don't really agree with it, but that's just what it's called. It's not cheating at all, it takes just as much skill.

Now cheating is when you use GXSCC! wink

Cambridge UK

Frosbyte == guru of all things of the chip.

Congrats, mate.

No, I don't believe I'm the guru of all things chip, I'm just trying to provide a more accurate depiction of another medium in which this kind of music is created. If someone asked you what a Gibson guitar is and you were a fan of Fender, and you replied by saying "Gibson guitars are basically crappy pieces of poop that are made by pretentious jerks", that's not really a very good definition for a beginner. By offering an objective description, you'd be helping the asker out much more.

Let's not get upset about this and instead continue helping the OP get a start with chipmusic. big_smile

Frostbyte wrote:

No, I don't believe I'm the guru of all things chip, I'm just trying to provide a more accurate depiction of another medium in which this kind of music is created. If someone asked you what a Gibson guitar is and you were a fan of Fender, and you replied by saying "Gibson guitars are basically crappy pieces of poop that are made by pretentious jerks", that's not really a very good definition for a beginner. By offering an objective description, you'd be helping the asker out much more.

Let's not get upset about this and instead continue helping the OP get a start with chipmusic. big_smile

Not to pick at you but you've only mentioned Gameboy and NES all the way through this thread.

Steps to becoming a chip musician.

1. Learn some theory. You're not going to get very far if you know nothing about writing music. Also, it'll probably help if you learn how to use a tracker because there are tons of trackers for all sorts of systems out there.

2. Check all your options. Don't just focus on Gameboys. There's shit tons of ways to make chip music. There are also plenty of free ways to start writing. I'd suggest looking into free software first, that way you don't end up buying a gameboy and decide you don't like writing chip music. Stuff like MilkyTracker and FamiTracker are great for beginners and they're completely free.

3. Start writing and experiment. Try new styles, genres, tricks, etc. Also, try and get your hands on some files you can load up in your tracker/program of choice and take a look. I've learned a TON of stuff from studying various modules.

Haha, yeah, I guess I'm a little Nintendo biased. There's plenty of hardware used to make music, C64 for example, Atari, old computers and whatnot.

edit: For the record, I started with Famitracker.

Last edited by Frostbyte (Apr 11, 2011 1:09 am)

Cambridge UK

I never said anything was better than the other, quite the contrary.
I just said that fakebit was a BS term, and implied you didn't know much - besides gameboys and NESes - for someone who spoke as having the One And Only Truth, Frostbyte, and that you should do your homeworks before spreading falseness, especially to the ones looking to learn.

George, if you want to continue this instead of spamming this thread with pointless conversation, please, feel free to PM or email me.

Cambridge UK

I'd rather have you stop spreading false information in a n00b thread.

"Fakebit refers to a style of electronic music that differs from real 8-bit (music) in being made with the technical resources of sound emulation or VSTi (software synthesizers) instead of real low bit computers and gaming consoles. This has the advantage of ease of use and availability, at a trade-off in accuracy of sound.
While a musician may choose to stay within the technical limits which the genuine hardware would have, sound emulators often allow to ignore such restrains. As a result, the typical chiptune sound is sometimes treated with effects or mixed with other instruments. This option has encouraged artists to experiment with combining the classic 8-bit style with more contemporary genres and instrumentation."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fakebit

Please explain what part of this I have falsified?

Frostbyte wrote:

"Fakebit refers to a style of electronic music that differs from real 8-bit (music) in being made with the technical resources of sound emulation or VSTi (software synthesizers) instead of real low bit computers and gaming consoles. This has the advantage of ease of use and availability, at a trade-off in accuracy of sound.
While a musician may choose to stay within the technical limits which the genuine hardware would have, sound emulators often allow to ignore such restrains. As a result, the typical chiptune sound is sometimes treated with effects or mixed with other instruments. This option has encouraged artists to experiment with combining the classic 8-bit style with more contemporary genres and instrumentation."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fakebit

Please explain what part of this I have falsified?

You haven't falsified it but fakebit isn't used just to describe a technical process in the scene.  In chipmusic it's often seen as 'lesser' music than the "greyboy" camp.  Not by everyone in that group obviously (infact some of my best chip scene friends use those materials) but just pop over to 8bc.org or read some other threads here and it's quite obvious.  I think a lot of that just stems from ignorance and the average age of chiptuners, but still.  It's a dismissive term and there's no need for it on a 'mature' board like this one.

That's a valid enough argument for me. As I said before, my favorite chip album of all time was written in Reason, so I'm very okay with it. I'll call it chip made in a DAW from now on.

Cambridge UK

"Nigger is a noun in the English language, most notable for its usage in a pejorative context to refer to black people (generally people of Sub-Saharan African descent), and also as an informal slang term, among other contexts. It is a common ethnic slur. The word originated as a term used in a neutral context to refer to black people, as a variation of the Spanish/Portuguese noun negro, a descendant of the Latin adjective niger, meaning the color 'black'."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigger

See, "nigger" used to be neutral, but is now widely considered pejorative.
Most people who are considered "fakebit" see it as pejorative and have voiced that opinion, among them respected members of this community like minusbaby and 4mat. I believe we should respect that and discard the use of the term "fakebit". Besides, for all I know, you might be the one who wrote that wikipedia article. I doubt it's a wildly popular wikipedia article and that it gets corrected much.

But more importantly, you are way besides the point, darling.

Regardless, I was answering the OP's question. Now that everything's cleared up and we've all had our share of a debate, let's continue offering helpful suggestions, and if you do wish to continue this discussion, as I have said before, please don't hesitate to PM or email me.

4mat: I in no way intended to lessen your music with this term, if it seemed like that. I'm sorry for the confusion.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

@George:  Yeah, cause the fakebit scene has faced the annihilation of their lifestyle, their culture and their freedoms for centuries.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Apr 11, 2011 2:01 am)