Dorset, UK

Hi, I'm new here (sorry if this is the wrong section to post this in, move it if it is). I thought I'd begin by introducing myself: I'm wills316 (or Will in real life) and I got into chipmusic maybe September 2010 when I heard the Chipmusic artists Mark DeNardo, Covox and ComputeHer on the internet.

I'd like to ask if anyone has suggestions for starting to make my own chipmusic. What would be the best type of Gameboy to get for a beginner? I already have two Gameboy Advances (not the SP versions) but I want something different like a Gameboy Colour or an original 1989 one. What one might be better for a total beginner? I can afford to spend maybe £60 on new stuff (or about 100 dollars for you USA dwellers out there). Also which program should I buy? I've been looking into getting the ROM for LSDJ flashed onto a GB cartridge but I don't know much about how to do this. Basically all I'm asking for is a little help with getting started. I appreciate it smile

(nitro2k01: Thread title edited per the new rule.)

Last edited by nitro2k01 (Apr 11, 2011 11:50 am)

Welcome to CM!

To answer your questions:

1. I'd go with an original gameboy, the '89 one. Colors have really bad sound in my opinion, and the Gameboy Advances are just...ehh, the original one sounds best. By the way, we usually call the original gameboys DMGs.

2. LSDJ is probably your best bet. I got it about a week ago and I'm already used to the way it feels. As far as getting it flashed on a cartridge, you can do that here. If you send him proof that you bought LSDJ he'll flash it to you. It costs like, probably around $45 USD in total, including LSDJ, I'd estimate.

3. A good idea for later on in your exploration is to mod your DMG with a backlight, or a prosound mod, or both. Those really improve the quality of your stuff, but aren't necessary. Backlighting just gives you a backlight, obviously, and prosound adds another headphone jack for recording out at higher quality than the original one. More bass, louder, whatever. You can buy those kits here, but you should at least know how to solder and what not. If you can't, there are plenty of peopl ewho would be willing to do it for you with a price.

Good luck, hope this helps!

Chepachet, Rhode Island

You could also donate cash to get LSDJ and then run it on an emulator first to see if you'd want to shell out for a gameboy cart.  If you do go that route I don't suggest continuing to use an emulator...they just don't sound right.

As for being a beginner the type of gameboy really doesn't matter.  Just don't go crazy modding it yet since, most likely, the stuff you create right at the get go won't need intense recording.  Stick with a DMG, a cart and your fingers.
I prefer the 64mb usb carts.  It's easier (and cheap in comparison) to back up your savs to your comp as well as flash new saves and kits.

Don't hesitate to PM me for LSDJ help.  I've helped a couple newbies around here with definite positive feedback and I really enjoy doing it.

edit: double post

Last edited by Frostbyte (Apr 10, 2011 2:22 am)

I forgot to mention the emulator option haha. They're easy to use and cheap, but he's right, they just don't sound the same. And the 64mb carts are great, i have one too and haven't had any problems with it. I love it.

As for modding, do that in time wink No rush

Dorset, UK

Yeah, I have a Game Boy emulator for playing games with but it doesn't have the same charm as an actual Game Boy. Plus, if you have a DMG and a cartridge you can make music on the go wink I don't think I'll mod anything until I know what I'm doing, but I know someone who is familiar with soldering and stuff so that might help. Thanks a ton for the help, feel free to suggest anything else you think of smile

Last edited by wills316 (Apr 10, 2011 12:14 am)

Whitley Bay, England

I have an R4, and so I first used LSDJ on my DS, which was alright. Once I'd got a couple songs done on it, I knew that I wanted to properly use it and ordered an EMS 64m cart.
And over a year later I'm using the same cart and have never had any problem. I'd really highly recommend them.

Don't be put off by the complexity of LSDJ by the way. It's all just about getting used to it, it's actually really nice to use ^^

It's scary at first, but after a while it's as easy as breathing.

Philly, PA, USA

I'm shocked and appalled at how few lmgtfy.com links there are in this thread.

but also a little proud.

carry on.

hhhhnnnnnngggggggggg
pixls wrote:

but also a little proud.

carry on.

this is what i was thinking

Dorset, UK
pixls wrote:

but also a little proud.

carry on.

Huh??

Tokyo, Japan

I think he means the cm.org crew are occasionally a little hostile to towards this particular question but this time everyone seems to have been rather friendly and helpful which is a pleasant surprise.

Dorset, UK

Oh I see. Googling "where to start making chipmusic" doesn't exactly return the best results though, it's best to hear it from people who know. smile

Philly, PA, USA
wills316 wrote:

Oh I see. Googling "where to start making chipmusic" doesn't exactly return the best results though, it's best to hear it from people who know. smile

well yes, but you also probably could search the forums on here or 8bc and find the information you need. But I do totally agree with you that hearing the answers you want specifically is far more helpful.

Generally, it's a better start for someone if they have someone else there to bounce questions off of. Google's not always your best option.

Cambridge UK

Considering that our friend here has been told, basically to get a Greyboy and LSDJ, I'm not sure how helpful that really is.
It's like going to guitarmusic.org and asking "how do I start guitar" and being told to buy a Fender Stratocaster.
Myself, when it comes to Fender classic guitars, I'm a fan of the Telecaster sound. But really, given a free choice, I'd get an Epiphone Coronet.

But fact is, I'm really happy I never spent much money on buying a guitar. I spent $400 on an OK acoustic guitar, after trying a few of them in my price range, and it turned out that guitar wasn't for me.

When I was in junior high, I took music. The teacher had older students play all the instruments for us and answer our questions on how learning it is like. We were then given an hour to try them out, and a week to make our choice. I never thought I'd enjoy playing the clarinet that much, and would've never known without that process. I would've probably picked the violin, and drop it for the same reason I dropped guitar.

More to the point here :

Greyboy+LSDJ isn't all there is to chipmusic.

There are a few questions you need to ask yourself before you go and make a choice as to where to start. If you start with something that doesn't suit you, chances are you're just gonna drop it all.

1- What kind of soundset do you like?
Listen to all sorts of different artists, not so much for their compositions, but for the sound of the "instruments".
If you fall in love with specific sounds, go check what gear they're using.
You'll soon find that a lot of what you hear isn't "pure" chip.
Some people do most of the work from the original hardware.
Some make their own sample from original hardware, but use modern software to bring everything together.
Some use trackers on modern computers.
Some use more modern ways of composing music with modern computers.
Some use original outdated computers that don't have a chip but a soundcard, but have a very distinct sound.
Some use old keyboards.
Some circuit-bend new keyboards.
Etc...

2-Does this way of writing music suits you?
As you've seen, there are many ways to go and make "chipmusic".
There are even more interfaces available to you.
If you fall in love with the ZX Spectrum, there won't be that many choices available to you, so make sure you'd feel comfortable tracking on those old beasts, by trying a tracker via an emulator, for instance.
However, if you decide to go with modern software and modern computers, there are a lot more options available to you and you might want to try out a few demos before you spend too much money and time trying to learn something that doesn't work with you just because you were told it was the "best' software.

I'm sure actual chipmusicians can improve on my post and give our friend here a couple more pointers.

**Edited some obvious typos out**

Last edited by George (Apr 10, 2011 7:43 pm)