Copied off 8BC, Nitro2K1 recommended this forum to me.

Post#1

Right, i had a go yesterday and TRULY screwed up. i mean royaly.

and i know you will all triple facepalm me when you read this but...

...i cut off the wrong end to the PS2 wire...

ended up with the pin instead of the pcb-board. FAIL.

but the Cris (above) inspired me to take it out the bin (nice and clean still) and get some pictures for you guys to see if i can still make and lsdj keyboard by resoldering the wires. Another problem is that i didn't take note of which colours went to which solder point on the daughter board...

it was late last night and i was tired.

so i just phoned my dad and he said i could help myself to more ps2 keyboards if i need to which is good,

heres what im left with currently:

Bigger Pic

Sorry about the tiny text on this one, if you click the link and full screen you can read it.

Bigger Pic

So, anoyone know HOW i can carry on and make and lsdj keyboard? how can i wire theM? do i have the right cables?

sorry for all the questions, in a big muddle!

thanks in advance,

post#2

Cris2600 wrote:

also a lot of 4 way DMG to GBC link cables don't have the +5v pin on the DMG ends. but some do, is it the madcatz one that does?

It's actually a Gamestar cable,

similar to this:

first of all i have never used a PS2 keyboard plug for an LSDJ keyboard. the two times i have built a DMG for use with a keyboard i put the PS2 socket in the gameboy rather than mod the keyboard itself, making any standard keyboard work as an LSDJ keyboard see here:

so thats personally how i would do it. but if you want to mod the keyboard itself then you are going to have to wire the link cable directly to the board....

so erm, i think that G will be ground, D will be data V will be 5v+ and C will be clock.

so try wiring pin 1 of the gameboy cable to V, pin 3 to D, pin 5 to C, and pin 6 to D.

Los Angeles

Don't know if this helps...

D = Data
C = Clock
V = Power
G = Ground

You need a multimeter / line tester / beeper thing to test what end is what on the gb side. My first guess would be to use the GB cable with the red and black wires and I would link the following:

D = Orange
C = Brown
V = Red
G = Black

if that doesnt work I would flip the D and C... try:

D = Brown
C = Orange
V = Red
G = Black

Should work I would gather.

but those cables only seem to have 4 wires, i would assume that pin 4 is missing because it doesn't do anything, and maybe power is missing, or maybe the shelding is ground?

Los Angeles
NeX wrote:

but those cables only seem to have 4 wires, i would assume that pin 4 is missing because it doesn't do anything, and maybe power is missing, or maybe the shelding is ground?

Power is usually missing so your probably right.
You need a cable that has power or your going to have to pin swap the serial out. which makes the situation even more complicated.

Melbourne, Australia

If this help:

This is looking at the link cable. If your one doesn't have pin 1 then you will need to swap some pins or get a cable that has it. DMG-07 (the 4 player adapter) always has it smile

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐

i would assume red = power and black = ground.
that's just standard wiring practice.
and like trash80 said: try it one way, then if yew need to switch them.

NeX wrote:

yes,
i have seen a cables just like that.
pin 4 does nothing, so i guess they just dont waste the wire.

i also agree w/ nex on just wiring your gba cable straight to the daughter board.

so i guess i agree w/ everything everyone has already said. *sigh*

oh yeah,
and if yer cable ends up not having the power wire, yew can just splice in
any +5 power adapter. just merge in the ground wires.

Last edited by xero (Jan 23, 2010 3:42 am)