France

Helle, I just recieved my DMG GameBoy and I am really disapointed because with the bright green backlight on it I can only play in the dark... Is it normal ? I thougt I could use it with daylite too...

London, Ontario

yes its normal, unless it was advertised as a "green backlit DMG"

Sydney

change the contrast

France

It's always the same even if I change it... Very hard to see anything in daylight.

Boulder, CO

It's the polarizing film used with green backlights. Same thing with Blue and probably some other ones as well.

manual backlight switches ftw

New Zealand

I installed the RGBbb backlight kit from kitsch-bent myself and got a similar result. First I installed it to be red, then after turning it on, noticed I can only see it well in the dark, or if I look at the screen from a certain angle (from the top, looking down). Then I changed it to white and it looks great now, day or night.

AdamGetsAwesome wrote:

It's the polarizing film used with green backlights. Same thing with Blue and probably some other ones as well.

The polarized film is generic and not color specific.

rlock999,

Is the polarized film in the 'inverted' position? When your DMG is off, the screen will be a dark blue color.

The downside to the backlight modification is the mirror foil is removed to allow light to shine through the LCD. The mirror foil is what makes the screen more visible in daylight. The backlight mod is geared towards people who use their gameboy at night and play gigs. If the polarized film is in the normal position, it's much more visible in daylight. If it's in the inverted position, it's more difficult to see.

Boulder, CO

All I know is I had 2 distinctly different polarized films with my 2 backlights (blue and red). Blue was super dark, red was light. Just speaking from experience.

Blue was inverted, red was normal wink

Boulder, CO

Nope but good try.

If you have the contrast dial in the right place, you can make a blue inverted backlight look like it's in the normal polarized position.

Boulder, CO

Yes, I know, thanks again.

Where did you get the polarized film and/or kit? Other colors do exist, but I don't know any suppliers that sell them. I'd like to try some out.

Boulder, CO

Got them from Nonfinite maybe 2 years ago. I'll check the polarization to see if you're right but from what I remember it was dark in both orientations and I have it not inverted right now.

Boulder, CO

I was wrong it seems but I have no sunlight to test. Well played.