Hiya folks,

This is a project I've been working on for quite some time.

It's a remade audio filter board for the DMG. It consists of an additional PCB mounted jack. All components remain in tact, and are replaced with new ones. (New caps, new inductors)

First of all, I'd like to say that yes, I know this project may seem useless to a lot of people. It's not at all useless to me, and may not be useless to other modders. So there's no need to point that out. smile

This is not a practical replacement for a panel mount pro sound jack, both because these are expensive to make and a little more difficult to install

The benefit to this mod is a lot of important space is saved in the DMG. The installation, if done correctly, looks professional. This is likely how it would have been if Nintendo decided to include a line out jack.

I spent a lot of timing trying to find the 'perfect' components for this. Lots of datasheet reading. I didn't want to use cheap jacks, and a lot of the PCB mount jacks I purchased and tried were very cheap and easily breakable. This one is perfect because from the outside, it's a very similar size to the stock headphone jack, but green- which usually signifies a line out jack.

Another plus is the durability. You don't have to worry about the nut coming unscrewed for the jack, and no glue is necessary to keep it in place.

It also adds no height to the DMG. I know this sounds petty, but it won't interfere with things like nuby speakers and such.

If anyone would be interested in purchasing one of these, please let me know so I can take into consideration how many need to be ordered. Due to the cost of materials, this will probably run around $25 give or take.

And onto the pictures:

Why, yes! It does say 'pro sound' instead of 'line out'. Why? Almost the entire chiptune community knows of this mod as the 'pro sound mod'. The term is  exclusive to gameboy mods (for the most part). Despite it maybe being a bit random, and perhaps rather silly sounding and not an official term, I like it...

The inductors are currently just branched with component legs as they haven't arrived yet. Messy soldering, but it's just a test.

Installed in a DMG

From the outside.  Quick test on a broken shell

New York City

Pretty damn cool.

matt's mind
akira^8GB wrote:

Pretty damn cool.

Alabama, USA

Hawt.

Milwaukee, WI

I dig it!  I feel like there could be caps protecting reverse voltage spikes on the prosound output.  I've never had a problem with not having it, but better safe than sorry.  Maybe we could set up a pre-order to lower the price?  It's a little spendy.

The price is unavoidable, unfortunately. The actual jacks are ridiculously expensive and the price multiplied by five midway through the production of the boards.

Probably not much room to add decoupling caps, but they could be added on another board and just mounted on the side. I really haven't heard any complaints from anyone who uses pro sound without them, but I guess it's something to look into. The caps just take up so much space...

I may be able to push $20.00 on the price, but it's cutting it close.  It's pretty much a take or leave it kind of deal here. Not much can be done about the price without a re-design. Since I don't anticipate a lot of purchases with this mod, there would be no significant price breaks in a big order either.

Last edited by Apeshit (May 20, 2011 8:08 pm)

Minneapolis

That looks very nice indeed. Very very nice.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

what are the inductors for? U doing somekind of high frequency filtering?
i guess i dont remember there being inductors on the output board.

why not use a thru hole jack for the line out?
SMT has soo much more potential for breaking, and destroying the pads on the PCB.

u lost me as a customer because of the use of "pro sound"
sorry :-]

Last edited by low-gain (May 10, 2011 4:16 am)

They're to replace the stock ones. I know they're not absolutely crucial, but they're dirt cheap and take up minimal space.

By the way, If anyone wants to buy one of these to try out, I do have a few extras.

And the jack is thru hole! I made sure of that.

I figured you'd like the 'pro sound' bit wink

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
Apeshit wrote:

And the jack is thru hole! I made sure of that.

I figured you'd like the 'pro sound' bit wink

the output mod jack didn't look as though it had through hole legs.. strange. guess i'm not familiar w/ that foot print.

I figured that bit was directed at me wink no worries.. it's just a name i guess..

Actually, it was more so because someone got ripped apart by a bunch of people on 8bc for saying "pro sound". But I have a feeling you're the culprit for the pro sound-line out conflict. Haha.

The jack indeed does have a weird pin orientation, it made it a lot simpler to do the prototypes. All three are in the back. I really hate using SMT stuff unless its actual chips or small components. I think those SMT jacks really only work on portable CD players where they're held in place with the plastic chassis.

Sweeeeeeden

That's indeed a good placement for a jack. I've done a couple P******* mods where I've glued the jack to the back of the battery compartment with super glue. Has worked for me.

Now tell me, what's the capacitance and voltage rating on those caps?

Thanks man! That's what I was doing before too. Then I started etching my own boards and that was extremely tedious which eventually lead me to this.

The caps are 100uf and 6.3v, same as the stock ones. Would you suggest a change?

Sweeeeeeden

I was trying to find out if they were perhaps bigger than they needed to be because of a too high voltage rating.

Here's the pre-order link for the kits:

http://apeshit.bigcartel.com/product/pc … -pre-order

The price went up even higher on the jacks so the price of the kits will unfortunately have to be raised. The price increase with happen on Friday. I did the math and at this price, I'm just barely breaking even with them. (But taking sample rates into consideration, I'm actually not breaking even)

After the pre-orders are done, these will not be sold as kits. There may be another run in the future, but as of right now, a pre-order is the only way to get one, then the remaining ones will be exclusive to my commissions.

Last edited by Apeshit (May 19, 2011 3:38 am)