Sydney

If you have 2-3 minutes to spare out of your day watch this promotional video and let me know your thoughts!

http://www.vimeo.com/22066609

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Triforce/127981037255524

Let me know what people think!

Thanks in advance

SYDNERDIA

"8bit"? You have a shiny modded gameboy playing on-screen for a few seconds, but how does that relate to the actual music you guys are making, which is to say, the rest of the video?

It just looks a little... stretched.

Philly, PA, USA

I think the zelda music in the beginning completely devalues whatever other music you have in there. The only music that should be in the promo video for a music artist is their own music. You spend way too much time just looking nice with zelda music, it's kind of silly.

Melbourne, Australia

What exactly is this a promo for? Do you know what promo is short for? Promotion. So what is it that you are promoting? The Zelda theme tune?

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

She is cute. wink

@cellers: "3 track release and album to come out soon."

matt's mind

the images at the beginning are nicely cut up i think, but everyone is right; a promo should promote yourself (pretty solely in fact)...  unless you are a cover band of course...

the music in that whole bit isn't fitting. 

too long.  you just can't hold people's interest for that long unless they care.  and, you are trying to get them to care by promoting yourself, they aren't coming to you already caring...  you'll get more interest with a short vid.  10 - 20 seconds should do it for a promo vid unless you've got something complicated (otherwise this length vid should be a music video)  and, also don't save your info until the last frames.  no one will see it.  integrate it within the video or in the beginning, or just put it in the description, but leaving it at the end means no one will see it hardly...

Sydney

@abrasive can understand where you are coming from, because the genre we play is quite mainstream and thats the market we are aiming for, our editor thought the inclusion of the gameboy needed to be in there as it is prominent in our music (although you may have missed it and that the short 2 minutes of that song do not show off the band completely) so that people who know literally nothing about 8bit (target audience) can easily identify and understand that alot of the music was made on the gameboy. wasn't so keen on the idea as its not the best inclusion but the video was thrown together quickly and we didn't have time to fine tune

@celsius what 10k said, promo video giving people a preview of our music, people can connect straight away i think as they are in on the recording process, and can see exactly who is behind the music, its the first thing people will see so straight from the get go (hopefully) people will be able to know who we are, what we are about and what music we create

@pixis put it in as the band is inspired by zelda, its a incredibly nostalgic track that people can easily identify with, the band wouldn't exist without that game so i thought it might be cool, hopefully others won't be so effected by it and give the music a chance

@kitsch point taken, definetly should have put in info earlier, i would have hoped people would have stayed on board for the 2 minutes holding interest on the music itself due to the instrumentation, and track itself

was more keen on some cc on the music itself if anyone would be willing to just have a sole listen to the track, would be more then happy to send the full version if anyone was interested

Last edited by Triforce (May 10, 2011 12:36 pm)

Liverpool, UK
Triforce wrote:

people who know literally nothing (target audience)

Well that's just insulting!

Last edited by calmdownkidder (May 10, 2011 12:31 pm)

Sydney
calmdownkidder wrote:
Triforce wrote:

people who know literally nothing (target audience)

Well that's just insulting!

Sorry bro didnt add in, literally nothing about 8bit*****

New York City

This has nothing to do with 8 bit at all (and where's the "dance"?). Maybe you should go to a forum about "mainstream music for people that know literally nothing" to ask for constructive criticism,. it would be more apropriate.

I don't know what else to say about your Zelda promo video. "Talk to Nintendo"? "Cute girl"?

Last edited by akira^8GB (May 10, 2011 2:06 pm)

Sydney
akira^8GB wrote:

This has nothing to do with 8 bit at all (and where's the "dance"?). Maybe you should go to a forum about "mainstream music for people that know literally nothing" to ask for constructive criticism,. it would be more apropriate.

I don't know what else to say about your Zelda promo video. "Talk to Nintendo"? "Cute girl"?

kinda thought that because a large portion of our music is written with 8bit hardware that the music infact is to do with 8bit, correct me if im wrong?
it was a 2 minute preview, i honestly did not expect to be judged so harshly off a small preview, apologies to anyone if this video seems so out of context that it has infuriated you

São Paulo, Brazil

too much dissolve fx.

New York City
Triforce wrote:

kinda thought that because a large portion of our music is written with 8bit hardware that the music infact is to do with 8bit, correct me if im wrong?

We don't hear it anywhere in what you posted, so how can we know? It seems not at all like any sort of large portion.

Matthew Joseph Payne

As said above - you may have used a ton of 8-bit hardware, but it's either so buried in the mix or simply not present in the section you presented that we - a bunch of people well versed in the sounds of chip hardware - can't hear it at all. I think I heard a quick arp around 1:45 into the video. I'm not entirely sure though.

The video drags. The beginning has nothing to do with the rest.

If listening to your music doesn't make it clear what kind of music you make, I think you have a problem. Let me guess, do you guys have a producer who had you put this video together?

Here's some very specific suggestions:
a) Turn up the chip elements in your mix. If they're there at all, they can definitely stand to be more prominent.
b) Instead of all shots of the girl singing, you could include shots of the gameboy WHILE the song is playing, and cut out the "show-off" clips at the end. Shortens the video and makes the song more interesting.
c) If you're going to use the Zelda thing at all, put it AFTER you play your actual music. Get to the point sooner.

Ciudad de méxico, MX

beautiful girl.

atractive voice, just get your aesthetic on the chiptune side (with more lo-fi synths and stuff) and you'll got the apreciation you need in this kind of public forums.

and of course you don't need any forums apreciations. not trying to be a douche, but you don't need "8-bit" more prominent to do your stuff, i assume; in a good way.

and the video is missleading, we just want the good stuff (music or awesomeness in just 30-40 seconds.).

thanks for sharing.

EDIT:[chiptune_jury]  just put a huge triangle WAV channel bass in the begining doing the left hand part and you're gold. [/chiptune_jury]

Last edited by Analog (May 10, 2011 4:29 pm)

Columbus, OH

I heard them. There were C Cmd Blips popping back and forth, and the piano part slowly switches to LSDJ or whatever you're tracking with.

Frankly, from what I heard, I feel like you're doing a great job of combining a few different styles of music. I heard the wobs, I can appreciate the shoegazey drums, the delayed/verbed piano was nice. The vocals sound pretty good, she has a good voice and whatever chain you're running her vocals through is working nicely. I actually that the part where the Gameboy arpeggiation came in was starkly contrasting to the rest.

I thought the promo was fine. I think you're music will be interesting.