Liverpool, UK
kineticturtle wrote:

Instead of all shots of the girl singing, you could include shots of the gameboy WHILE the song is playing

...gaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy

Philly, PA, USA
Triforce wrote:

@pixis put it in as the band is inspired by zelda, its a incredibly nostalgic track that people can easily identify with, the band wouldn't exist without that game so i thought it might be cool, hopefully others won't be so effected by it and give the music a chance

I understand that it's your inspiration, but what I'm trying to say is that it would be much better to have something of yours playing throughout the whole video as it is a promo video for a music artist. Having music that isn't yours, no matter how recognizable, cheapens the experience, and makes it seem like your simply trying to piggyback on the success of another piece of music rather than paying homage to it.

If I hadn't been watching the video from a critiquing point of view, I personally would've shut it off after I recognized the music, and there are lots of people who would as well for a variety of reasons/assumptions from "augh, videogame cover band" to "ugh, nerd gimmicks." The sheer amount of time you spend just with dreamy shots with zelda music playing compared with the time that your music is playing is kind of absurd.

Unsubscribe

no my cup of tea, but seems like you got strong production values. Coming soon is vague enough without the ???.. man up and SET EXPECTATIONS!

Geneva, NY

i thought the game boy was 4bit

Sydney
pixls wrote:
Triforce wrote:

@pixis put it in as the band is inspired by zelda, its a incredibly nostalgic track that people can easily identify with, the band wouldn't exist without that game so i thought it might be cool, hopefully others won't be so effected by it and give the music a chance

I understand that it's your inspiration, but what I'm trying to say is that it would be much better to have something of yours playing throughout the whole video as it is a promo video for a music artist. Having music that isn't yours, no matter how recognizable, cheapens the experience, and makes it seem like your simply trying to piggyback on the success of another piece of music rather than paying homage to it.

If I hadn't been watching the video from a critiquing point of view, I personally would've shut it off after I recognized the music, and there are lots of people who would as well for a variety of reasons/assumptions from "augh, videogame cover band" to "ugh, nerd gimmicks." The sheer amount of time you spend just with dreamy shots with zelda music playing compared with the time that your music is playing is kind of absurd.

I'll take this on board with future video's, at the end of the day this comes down to personal opinion, the video has been well received among my peers who know nothing about the world of 8bit music and the video itself has been shared on facebook over 100 times so im just happy people are enjoying it. I can understand people on these forums having an issue with many elements and there have been valid points made, thanks for the feedback bro.

Brazil

What's the point that got so much negativity is that you try to sell it as an 8bit dance duo but is just a dance duo. You are trying to jump on the bandwagon but you're just too far away from us here. The video is not bad at all, I didn't even know that song was from Zelda so I just skipped to listen to the song. Unconsciously reminds of Crystal Castles - without the boring screaming. Is actually good, I enjoyed it, but not my cup of tea actually.

As herr prof said, set expectations. Is a well recorded video, as far as a good camera and good editing, except for the end with those shitty fonts and boring text.

tldr: You're not close to the "scene", so don't try to jump on it. Sell your music as what it really is: a dance duo. Forget the 8bit thing and keep doing it.

Good luck!

rochester, ny

I don't understand the concept of promo videos, to be totally honest. With all the effort that was put into this video, couldn't you have just made a music video for that song? Right now it's just like, "here's a short clip of some other thing that will come out at some unknown future date".

I think it's probably more helpful for a band at your level to put songs online before they start promoting themselves. Like, let's say I loved that promo video. What can I do now? Add you on facebook, I guess. Personally, I'd be more likely to buy your song immediately after I watched your cool music video than I would be to buy it at some unknown future date when I see some facebook status update letting me know that your album's been released possibly weeks after watching a promo video that included a short clip of one song that you say doesn't totally represent the sound of your band accurately. You know what I'm saying?

I don't even mean this as criticism of your video. I'm just sharing my personal view on promo videos and promotion in general. If this video works for you guys then that's awesome.

Melbourne, Australia

This is a much better example on the subject of "how to create hype through a promo video". He talks about the music, the concepts involved in the process of creating the EP and it plays you enough of the song that you want to hear more. Sure, it's not as visually polished as the Triforce video but the music is the focus, as it should be.

Tokyo, Japan

TESTIFY!!

Chicago IL

if you don't write music for people who are into chip, you shouldn't be surprised with the negativity you get posting a promo video on a forum for people who are into chip. you said yourself we aren't the target audience, but you still wanted our input. you got it.

Tokyo, Japan
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

You are trying to jump on the bandwagon but you're just too far away from us here.

Totally, I think they tried to jump on the bandwagon but faceplanted a food from the curb.

Last edited by Lazerbeat (May 11, 2011 12:33 am)

Tokyo, Japan

I think I met someone connected to these guys at the sydney gig. Seemed like a nice bloke tbh. Michael or someone?

Anyway, this is not chip really is it. Good look on fooling thems that know nuffin' about the way of the chip innit bro. brap brap!

Last edited by cheapshot (May 11, 2011 2:08 am)

Melbourne, Australia
cheapshot wrote:

Good look on fooling thems that know nuffin' about the way of the chip innit bro. brap brap!

HAHAHA! The casual observer probably thinks you talk like that in real life Yorkie. Innit!

Philly, PA, USA

Really I think it's a little silly to even relate yourselves to the 8bit thing, you've got your own style which seems pretty cool, it doesn't matter how you make your music, your name on its own is enough of a tribute to zelda, including that music is just driving yourself into a niche.

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs
cheapshot wrote:

I think I met someone connected to these guys at the sydney gig. Seemed like a nice bloke tbh. Michael or someone?

Anyway, this is not chip really is it. Good look on fooling thems that know nuffin' about the way of the chip innit bro. brap brap!

Yeah, you met Friendly Mike, of Sky Crawlers, innit.

Tokyo, Japan
celsius wrote:
cheapshot wrote:

Good look on fooling thems that know nuffin' about the way of the chip innit bro. brap brap!

HAHAHA! The casual observer probably thinks you talk like that in real life Yorkie. Innit!

One does one's upmost best to portray cheapshot as the rapscallion that he has beome known to be.
Filthy low-class vermin *spit* tongue