Sydney

@Saskrotch fair call man, very true

@Lazerbeat cant say i agree with that at all, just because im blending 8bit with new genre's and instrumentation means im trying to jump on the bandwagon? pre the release of this video Triforce was a solely 8bit band consisting of my self and one DMG (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4Fn8KhS7_U)
Triforce Demos: http://www.mediafire.com/?zeeml89odkjhpjp

I just want to make sure people don't think im just some kid who has whacked a gameboy into my promo video so that i can claim an 8bit tag and seem 'part of the scene' ive been tracking for quite some time and have only recently progressed to larger scale production in Pro Tools and the added instrumentation, its early days for the band and once people hear the rest of the release it will hopefully validate the 8bit/dance genre which i have so dubbed my band, i do however release that it may have been misleading with certain inclusions in the video and its context. i have never claimed that triforce is 8bit, 8bit/dance would imply a fusion of the two genres although i realise the video may not have been reflective of this
hope people can get past this and just have a listen to the tunessss

hardcore, Australia

I withheld from posting here so far but have been keeping watch.
I think i have to agree with celsius' first response, what are you promoting? The first time i watched this when you posted it on 8bc months ago, i turned it off after a while because it didnt seem to go anywhere. Even now having listened an hour ago, i can't remember what your song sounded like. Only the zelda track.
Promoting your band might work fine to locals and venues in a "hey guys we exist" way, but internationally like this everyone will say "yeah that's nice, but why..." Remember that most of us can't see your band play, we don't know you or recognise you, we don't have the established relationship to expect anything from you, or to get excited for what will come.
It's kind of the attitude you see in "musician wanted" pages, "we have management with gigs and a recording deal lined up. oh by the way it's just me singing, i need a drummer, bassist, guitarist and maybe a saxophone"
I know you say you've been tracking for a while, but we don't know that, until that last post I hadn't seen any reference to existing music beyond the snip heard in that video, it just feels like you've spent more time promoting (this video, the promo photos, facebook) than you have been producing content to promote. Now, it might be that you've been locked up in a studio producing your finest work and when it comes out, we might all love it, but that this point it's like telling everyone i own a big tv when no one comes to my house.

Right now from whats in the video it does come across as gimmicky that you would make such big note of the chip factor, it seems to play a minor role in the track. If anything theres more wub bass going on than there is chip.
As for claiming it to be "8bit", adding a slash doesn't nullify a term, if i called myself punk/hardcore you would expect to see a reasonable representation of both. Unfortunately in that video i see little 8bit and not much dance?

I'm not trying to put shit on you, i just think you've jumped the gun, and need to think about what you want out of this, where you want to go with it, and why you're doing things the way you are.

edit:
I should also add that i think the chip scene (in particular in sydney really) doesn't really take itself too seriously. We all know it's ridiculous what we do, you guys seem to have taken what i'd call the "art school" approach and take your music quite seriously. I think this might be what's rubbing people the wrong way.

Last edited by godinpants (May 11, 2011 5:49 am)

Sydney

time to butt in:
obviously, by watching this video, u can write good music. but if sum1 just played this to me and was like, what would u consider this music as. i would just say 'dance'. there is no real indication that this has anything to do with 8bit. as for the video itself. can i just ask... whats going on with it? it keeps jumping through cuts and i dnt get whats going on. when i first saw it, i already knew the basics of who u guys are... but i thought it was a trailer for a live action zelda movie or something. its not really clear whats goin on.
Also it seams this video was pushed before you guyz play shows or anything... get familiar with your target audience first, play shows. play to a crowd of 2 ppl if you have to. just get yourself out there. not just sending stuff around the internet. Your video could get up to 5, 000 views... but this does not grantee you an audience.
but yes. the music it good. its not my cup of tea, but its good music for people who like this stuff, so keep it up. just dont try push the whole 8bit dance due where your set up seems like it has little to nothing to do with 8bit.
and stop spending your money on clear gameboy buttons...

New York City
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

you try to sell it as an 8bit dance duo but is just a duo.

fixed.

Tokyo, Japan
Triforce wrote:

@Lazerbeat cant say i agree with that at all, just because im blending 8bit with new genre's and instrumentation means im trying to jump on the bandwagon?

Yes, I was being totally facetious, my general take on music is I don't think too much on how music is produced at all as long as it is good. My comment was a not particularly good attempt at bandwagon jumping humor (oh the irony) which failed. I'm also not specially worried about music genres.

I would observe however that your 8bit dance promo seems a bit light on the 8 bit and dance. From about 1:35 to 1:55 I could totally see it as 8 bit dance, not particularly to my taste but it fit your description. My feedback would be as follows

1 - Cut the stuff at the start and the end of the promo filmed in the cafe as it is distracting from the meat of the video. I assume the music is the focal point?

2 - If there is a 3 song EP coming out, why not put in a snippet of each song?

3 - From watching the promo it is very hard to understand what you guys actually do live. How about some footage of you all performing together? If you aren't gigging why not stage a little performance in your basement and film it to give people a context for what you are doing/going to do live?

4 - Your 8bit dance band promo doesn't really make me want to dance, perhaps remove the genre from the equation or focus the promo more on what you are billing yourself as.

Good luck with you new release and welcome

brooklyn!

sorry to take this thread off-course, but this struck me in a very particular way:

godinpants wrote:

I should also add that i think the chip scene (in particular in sydney really) doesn't really take itself too seriously. We all know it's ridiculous what we do, you guys seem to have taken what i'd call the "art school" approach and take your music quite seriously. I think this might be what's rubbing people the wrong way.

i don't think taking oneself seriously as a musician is a problem here. to say that "we know chipmusic is ridiculous" sort of keeps us in this "revenge of the nerds"-esque way of thinking of what we do; "yeah, this shit is really nerdy and not quite socially acceptable, so what?" why not take ourselves seriously enough to tell the world "this is actually a really awesome thing we do, all appearances aside"? instead of affirming--or straight up relishing in--the outsider nature of chip, we need to take ourselves at least SLIGHTLY seriously as musicians; otherwise, chip might as well be wizard rock or nerdcore. (no offense to wizard rock or nerdcore enthusiasts on the board.)

Tokyo, Japan
likeluke wrote:

instead of affirming--or straight up relishing in--the outsider nature of chip, we need to take ourselves at least SLIGHTLY seriously as musicians; otherwise, chip might as well be wizard rock or nerdcore. (no offense to wizard rock or nerdcore enthusiasts on the board.)

This actually made me laugh out loud.

I would also add, godinpants IS australian (and from sydney) ridiculous comes with the territory.

brooklyn!
Lazerbeat wrote:
likeluke wrote:

instead of affirming--or straight up relishing in--the outsider nature of chip, we need to take ourselves at least SLIGHTLY seriously as musicians; otherwise, chip might as well be wizard rock or nerdcore. (no offense to wizard rock or nerdcore enthusiasts on the board.)

This actually made me laugh out loud.

I would also add, godinpants IS australian (and from sydney) ridiculous comes with the territory.

OH HOW THE MIGHTY HATH LOL'D

um.
that response wasn't directed specifically at mister godinpants; i was actually just having a conversation about this exact topic a few days ago, oddly enough. i suppose that wasn't clear in my comment, GODINPANTS NO OFFENSE TO YOU EITHER BROUGH. heart

Matthew Joseph Payne
likeluke wrote:

GODINPANTS NO OFFENSE TO YOU EITHER BROUGH. heart

Oh thank goodness. My dreams of a godinpants/The Glowing Stars/Anamanguchi show NOT RUINED AFTERALL! *whew*

Brazil

Now, to take a step further, I think you're in the wrong forums, triforce guy. There is another forum who might appreciate your music much more than us critics.

#trollface to everyone

Melbourne, Australia
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

...There is another forum who might appreciate your music much more than us critics.

#trollface to everyone

HE WENT THERE!

hardcore, Australia
likeluke wrote:

i don't think taking oneself seriously as a musician is a problem here. to say that "we know chipmusic is ridiculous" sort of keeps us in this "revenge of the nerds"-esque way of thinking of what we do; "yeah, this shit is really nerdy and not quite socially acceptable, so what?" why not take ourselves seriously enough to tell the world "this is actually a really awesome thing we do, all appearances aside"? instead of affirming--or straight up relishing in--the outsider nature of chip, we need to take ourselves at least SLIGHTLY seriously as musicians; otherwise, chip might as well be wizard rock or nerdcore. (no offense to wizard rock or nerdcore enthusiasts on the board.)

I think there's a difference between taking yourself seriously and taking your music seriously.
i take my music seriously, enough to spend a lot on it for vinyl/transport/instrumentation all that, to put my time and hardwork into it, to get in fights with my girlfriend over touring.
What i dont take seriously is myself when dealing with my music, based off album covers im half man, half whale. i wear home made godinpants t shirts and strange hats(not so much lately on that one). and i think the attitude is largely the same in a lot of other people.
i know 10k takes incredible pride in the production values of his music, ive seen mixing/recording going down. but on stage, its almost like the music is a vehicle for comedy in between and during songs.
abortifacient gets all dressed up in corpse paint and ken dole shirts, adamgetsawesome still uses a picture of himself as a cardboard robot, even anamanaguchi do some really hi-fi recording, and combine it with art from paul robertson, who himself does some amazing drawings that just cannot be taken seriously.

I think having that space really helps people engage with what you're doing, it makes things memorable and more enjoyable.

Brazil
celsius wrote:
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

...There is another forum who might appreciate your music much more than us critics.

#trollface to everyone

HE WENT THERE!

LOL

Tokyo, Japan
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:
celsius wrote:

HE WENT THERE!

LOL

Ahhhhhhh... I (literally) just got this.

trollface indeed!

Finland
godinpants wrote:

I think there's a difference between taking yourself seriously and taking your music seriously.
i take my music seriously, enough to spend a lot on it for vinyl/transport/instrumentation all that, to put my time and hardwork into it, to get in fights with my girlfriend over touring.
What i dont take seriously is myself when dealing with my music, based off album covers im half man, half whale. i wear home made godinpants t shirts and strange hats(not so much lately on that one). and i think the attitude is largely the same in a lot of other people.
i know 10k takes incredible pride in the production values of his music, ive seen mixing/recording going down. but on stage, its almost like the music is a vehicle for comedy in between and during songs.
abortifacient gets all dressed up in corpse paint and ken dole shirts, adamgetsawesome still uses a picture of himself as a cardboard robot, even anamanaguchi do some really hi-fi recording, and combine it with art from paul robertson, who himself does some amazing drawings that just cannot be taken seriously.

I think having that space really helps people engage with what you're doing, it makes things memorable and more enjoyable.

Kinda Off topic:

This is really interesting and has been popping up every now and then at different places (school, in conversations with other musicians) and I've been thinking it a lot. I'm all for jokes, silly costumes, and stupid shit but ALSO I feel like too often people just hide behind that, like they are too scared to try to tell something with their music. Lot of people do take the production part seriously but artistic side is often something that nobody wants shed light to. Why he/she did it, what is that song about, what is my message I want to get across to people, etc. I dont feel that everything needs to be explained or has to be serious but having a "I'm just fucking around lol" attitude all the time just shows you'ra a coward and takes away your artistic credibility.. There's a pretty big spectrum somewhere between being an annoying tormented artist and being just a retarded-joke with no real depth.

And of course this isn't aimed to you, but your text (+likelukes) was something that got me thinking:)

That being said, the girl is pretty cute, video is technically very well edited but promoting it here was a wrong move. Also I think making a promo movie for 3 song release is kinda overkill.

Brazil

I play without shirt, Starpause style.

Also my music tells about boomboxes, things I've read/seen/listened and football.