Ciudad de méxico, MX

have anyone tried a GBA output mod?

thanks in advance.

New York City

I suppose you mean Prosound. Herbert Weixelbaum did, and very detailedly so.
http://www.herbertweixelbaum.com/comparison.htm

Last edited by akira^8GB (May 27, 2011 7:53 pm)

Ciudad de méxico, MX

i was looking for an attempt of a GBA line output mod (prosound). not a comparison, or i'm missing something at that link that you gave me?

New York City

I'm pretty sure he did it.

Last edited by akira^8GB (May 27, 2011 8:32 pm)

Rhode Island

Here's one for a GBA SP. Don't believe I've come across one for the GBA other than the mention of it in akira's post

http://nex.gg8.se/modblog/2010/06/total … ameboy-sp/

people dont prosound the GBA because the buttons are in the wrong place for LSDJ, and it is redundant compared to the SP

Ciudad de méxico, MX

i was thinking for nanoloop wink

San Francisco

i am assuming you are talking about the original gba

i did one a while back but ended up burning out something while i was cleaning up. its possible but not really great results. I can look around my hard drive to see if i cant find a sound test. i know i got a couple out before it fucked up. this was a long time ago tho. we talking like 3-4 years back and i have gone thru a couple of crashes and transfers in that time. the gba sound is actually pretty decent as is. i would say it has a thick bass and mids and while there is a hum it isnt as bad as say the sp's shenanigans. micro can be noisey but god damn it gots dat bass. no joke. its soooo damn thick. probably for recording the original gba is best tho. It all depends on the individual unit you get but for the most part the gba for nanoloop 2.x is pretty ideal without any mod.

the sp it is possible to do but there isnt really any sound benefit. it is just easier to plug and play without an adapter. its also pretty small so you have to be pretty good with soldering.

the ds units are always an option too but really the first one is shit and the light has decent out  from what i hear but i havent personally tested it out.

the thing is that depending on what nanoloop version you are using you will get different results aswell. 2.x uses a software based synthesis fm engine if i recall correctly and is output using the sample channels. for lsdj and 1.x it is using the built in synthesizers. 2.x users would have to have a separate comparison to see if the software sounds different on each unit. as far as noise output with background sound that is pretty much going to stay the same tho.

that is my long gba comparison rant/thinking out loud session. that is all.

Ciudad de méxico, MX

thanks for the info wedanced, i guess i'll try another gba, mine sounds with a buzz on background hmm

with lsdj is decent, but with the nanoloop 2.5 cart, when it acceses to the flash memory it starts buzzing, it's anoying!

Last edited by Analog (May 30, 2011 5:57 am)

i disagree i think the SP can have amazing results with a pro sound mod depending on the model. japanese 101 models being the best

Unsubscribe

and what about a gba backlight mod?? Might be the best of both worlds.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

I dont feel the SP really needs any modification for audio... So i just said fuck it.. i want to be able to run my SP for hours on end, and use the headphone output.

San Francisco

Yeah I think a new gba comparison needs to be made. Maybe just a new gb comparison page too. That old one has been great but there Have been new mods made, and new circumstance that aren't considered. An update is needed.

Ciudad de méxico, MX

yeah, and it's only LSDJ oriented. i'm guessing that the non-battery carts may have different behavior and it's not considered ( like the nanoloop ones, with flash memory). or even the 64MB usb ones, may sound different to the bleepbloops, just to name a couple.

even a LGPT sound comparison (dingoo, canoo, psp, gp2x) would be nice.

Saint Paul, MN

I was really happy when I finally got LSDJ, and then remembered that I bought the headphone adapter with my SP when it was actually being sold in stores.

Last edited by spinning voices (May 31, 2011 4:46 am)

Los Angeles
NeX wrote:

i disagree i think the SP can have amazing results with a pro sound mod depending on the model. japanese 101 models being the best

I've had different results. the 101 has more noise by default without modding. I probed the 101 as well and the noise seemed to come from the cpu's output so I couldnt get the noise to go away. I should look up what exactly you did and try again. you just hooked it up from the conveniently available pads on the pcb right?