Germany

hi everyone!

so today i finished my first set of 935/000 silver buttons.
(925 is sterling with 92,5% silver, rest copper. this is 93,5% silver)
this first set is reserved for kitsch wink

KLICK FOR LARGER PICTURE

so i am planning to do alot of more 8bit and especially buttons stuff with different metals. im working on aluminium buttons right now that can be colored. and there will be more stuff coming for sure smile

so i'll sell "polished silver buttons sets" for 140dollar/95euro and "sandblasted silver button sets" for 80dollar/55euro.
they will be stamped "935".
and ask me if you'd like to have any customizations. you could have gemstones in the buttons, engravings,... there are alot of possibilities wink

i won't be able to do anything in the next two weeks because i'll be in holidays. but i'll take orders in this time and start working around the 27th of june again. also i won't take too many orders at a time because even though i dont mold them by myself because i dont have the tools and so on, everything else is handcrafted by me and it needs alot of time to finish a set depending on "polished" or sandblasted", custiomizations,...
AND you have to send me your start/select rubber so i can cut it and fit the molding with it, OR i send you the whole set with the start/select molding and you have to cut the rubber yourself (i'm gonna add a pic that explains it soon)

for ordering, and questions about customizations contact me at:
qubitmobile AT googlemail DOT com

feel free to tell me your opinions or ask questions in this thread, too, of course smile

your 8bit goldsmith ;D
-quBit

Looks very nice. I hope there's some interest in these.

astral cat

this is fucking ridiculous jesus christ

Unsubscribe

Wouldn't silver get all corroded from your finger sweat? Wouldn't stainless steel or chrome be better?

San Francisco

Wat the balls? This is crazy.

Germany
herr_prof wrote:

Wouldn't silver get all corroded from your finger sweat? Wouldn't stainless steel or chrome be better?

well of course you need to take care of the buttons a little bit. what could happen is that they could oxidate, that always depends on your sweat. but you can wear silver rings, too, right? so if you take care not to use the buttons right after eating lots of finger food and maybe wipe over them with a cloth sometimes it should be fine. im also going to check out if i maybe can include polishing-cloth to every set.

New York City

Taking so much care of a game boy beats the purpose of using one.
You people need to start focusing your brilliant minds into other things, like MAKING MUSIC.

Germany
akira^8GB wrote:

Taking so much care of a game boy beats the purpose of using one.
You people need to start focusing your brilliant minds into other things, like MAKING MUSIC.

making music is one thing, having sick looking gear is another thing. i like both wink
making music is art, modifying gear is art too. i dont see the problem of doing both =P

Brooklyn NY US

tacky indulgent bling = not really art

Minneapolis

Good golly, solid silver buttons. What next. Though I have to agree with Bit Shifter, it takes a bit more than just swapping in some silver buttons to make it art IMO. For example, many PC case mods (over the top example) I would call art, but they are often changing far more than a few buttons.

EDIT: That said, do not let me or anyone else discourage your tinkering or making. I too have gotten more than my share of "it's just hardware MAKE MUSIC BLERGGGGGGG" but I think it's very valuable to have hardware people around here too. Keep it up! smile

Last edited by arfink (Jun 7, 2011 5:17 pm)

Brooklyn NY US

full circle

Chepachet, Rhode Island
Bit Shifter wrote:

full circle

Twin Cities!

Ha! Fun idea! Along the same lines as http://www.mpcstuff.com/ . Me like!

Tacoma WA

i can fight werewolves and vampires with my gameboy nao

I too have gotten my share of those 'just make music' kind of remarks, but I find this stuff more satisfying. Even just cosmetic mods like this can be very rewarding.  I don't see the point in trying to discourage people from doing this kind of stuff.

Brooklyn NY US

I don't think anyone's opposed to modifications in general, and I don't think anyone's trying to abridge anyone else's freedom to make buttons out of whatever substance they like. Personally I, as one individual, see this modification, specifically, as silly, expensive, and nonutilitarian, and consequently I am expressing that opinion accordingly. All are free both to disagree and to buy (or forge) Game Boy buttons made of precious metals.