Brazil

Moding like this a gameboy is art. But you shouldn't produce that thinking that people would buy like they buy plastic buttons. Of course a few will buy, there are stupid people who thinks that the gameboy must be pretty.

This reminds me of guitars... But if a guitar is too cheap it sounds like it.
An expensive gameboy in the other hand...

EDIT: What I'm trying to say is that I liked the idea, but I would never buy and I really hope it makes profit, guess that's why is so expensive. It's silver, for fuck sake. But it defeats the purpose of making music on it anyway.

Last edited by Subway Sonicbeat (Jun 7, 2011 11:10 pm)

For the record, I wasn't referring to your posts.

But yeah, this thread wasn't really out of line, I've seen worse. If it's constructive, I don't really see anything wrong with people expressing their opinion. But some negativity I've seen can be unnecessary and redundant.

Europa surfing on the monolith
Bit Shifter wrote:

I don't think anyone's opposed to modifications in general, and I don't think anyone's trying to abridge anyone else's freedom to make buttons out of whatever substance they like. Personally I, as one individual, see this modification, specifically, as silly, expensive, and nonutilitarian, and consequently I am expressing that opinion accordingly. All are free both to disagree and to buy (or forge) Game Boy buttons made of precious metals.

I concur...

Seeing as how silver tarnishes and oxidizes, this will not be something I will be adding to my collection...

On the other hand...   Very clever idea, I'm sure you will sell some, Good luck with your sales sir.

Germany
arfink wrote:

Good golly, solid silver buttons. What next. Though I have to agree with Bit Shifter, it takes a bit more than just swapping in some silver buttons to make it art IMO. For example, many PC case mods (over the top example) I would call art, but they are often changing far more than a few buttons.

Bit Shifter wrote:

tacky indulgent bling = not really art

sure just molding buttons isnt art. same like painting a shell in one color isnt art.
but then there are paintjobs and other customisations on shells i'd call art. and there will be customisations i'll do to those buttons that you could call art because goldsmithing is an art.

Bit Shifter wrote:

I don't think anyone's opposed to modifications in general, and I don't think anyone's trying to abridge anyone else's freedom to make buttons out of whatever substance they like. Personally I, as one individual, see this modification, specifically, as silly, expensive, and nonutilitarian, and consequently I am expressing that opinion accordingly. All are free both to disagree and to buy (or forge) Game Boy buttons made of precious metals.

yea there are alot of people who think buying jewelry is a waste of money. but hey some people like to spend money for beautyful things that has no use but looking pretty. some people see the fascination in handcrafted useless things. and i as a goldsmith count on those people. its fine if you dont like it but please try to see the other side and dont call someones hard work silly.
man.. i really thought the famous bit shifter wouldnt be such a negative guy.. thats sad

Apeshit wrote:

But yeah, this thread wasn't really out of line, I've seen worse. If it's constructive, I don't really see anything wrong with people expressing their opinion. But some negativity I've seen can be unnecessary and redundant.

true.. true.... ^^

Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

Moding like this a gameboy is art. But you shouldn't produce that thinking that people would buy like they buy plastic buttons. Of course a few will buy, there are stupid people who thinks that the gameboy must be pretty.

This reminds me of guitars... But if a guitar is too cheap it sounds like it.
An expensive gameboy in the other hand...

EDIT: What I'm trying to say is that I liked the idea, but I would never buy and I really hope it makes profit, guess that's why is so expensive. It's silver, for fuck sake. But it defeats the purpose of making music on it anyway.

well, i know this wont sell like plastic buttons do =P im just offering this because i really like it and im happy about some orders but also fine without orders. i guess the aluminum version will get some better feedback. and if not.. its fine. i mainly did this for myself anyways. im not trying to make the big money here =P

Last edited by quBit (Jun 8, 2011 4:16 am)

Europa surfing on the monolith

I don't think what Bit Shifter was saying was negative at all, I think he was just expressing his own opinion that the buttons are not something he "personally" would be interested in as a consumer, Kind of a cheap shot for you to take at him, the guy's moniker is literally "Less is More"...

Its a personal preference thing in my own opinion, seeing as how you may want to sell them at some point (on any scale, large or small), its kind of disconcerting to see negativity of any kind on a thread like this, some people are going to like them, some aren't, but as a seller, you might want to try remaining neutral towards your potential market base...

Just saying... 

Good luck with the project and sales anyhow.

Unsubscribe

I wouldn't feel bad qubit, i think this thread is suffering from "one toke over the line syndrome" , where people who already have a general sense of ambivalence with the whole modding community are like WHOA WHOA WHOA.

that being said, would anyone be interested in putting some leather upholstery on my gimpboy?

Brazil

I actually think an aluminium gameboy is classy and reminds me of Keith Levene's guitar. If I had a lot of money to spend i would buy.

New York City
Apeshit wrote:

For the record, I wasn't referring to your posts.

You should go ahead and say it was MY post (not posts) that you are referring to. Better, you know? smile

My opinion is exactly that of Bit Shifter on the matter, and my post wasn't negative (neither was his), you probably ignored the part where i said I think you are all brilliant for coming up with stuff like that. What is it with people doing stuff and always only wanting feedback that says "we ALL love this"? Life's not like that, and any differing opinion should NOT be taken as negative, just DIFFERENT!

Putting so much money on something that costs nothing as a Game Boy and then having to take extra care of a device that is just a tool for work, as if it was a luxury item to put in a shelf, beats the purpose of doing music in a Game Boy, but to each one its own.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jun 8, 2011 12:53 pm)

Germany

guys, im fine with "different" comments. i just didnt like the fact that bit shifter called it a "silly modification". i dont call somebodys work silly just because i dont like or i would feel silly buying it. it thats all smile

Brooklyn NY US

Sorry but I think the idea of Game Boy buttons composed of silver is a silly one. Not making any statement about your craftsmanship or handiwork. Plenty of people find my music silly and are entitled to do so and I barrel along undeterred, as should you. I applaud your dedication to your craft and wish you the best of luck.

São Paulo, Brazil

this is the only dmg mod I'd buy:

akira^8GB wrote:

You should go ahead and say it was MY post (not posts) that you are referring to. Better, you know? smile

My opinion is exactly that of Bit Shifter on the matter, and my post wasn't negative (neither was his), you probably ignored the part where i said I think you are all brilliant for coming up with stuff like that.

Or perhaps you ignored the part where I said "this thread wasn't really out of line"?

matt's mind

quBit, how many manhours do you think goes into a set like this? 

also, metal buttons are conductive (unless they are coated with something which isn't, of course).  one could conceivably 'wire' up these buttons and create contact points to do 'stuff'. 

i'm not sure why, just a thought.

like a cracklebox.

for example, you'd need one 'master pole' to touch, then you could tap the metal buttons to trigger things.  events, glitches, whatever. 

this way the buttons won't be contact points, unless this master pole is touched as well.

this could work...   and be pretty cool.  with any conductive metal of course.

San Francisco

THESE BUTTONS ARE TEARING US APART!!!!!!!!! WHY CANT WE GO BACK TO THE OLD DAYS WITH THREADS ABOUT NULLSLEEP  BEING A DRAGON?!??!!?!?!?!?

that is all.

Unsubscribe

Can I have buttons made out of nullsleep dragon eyes?

Abandoned on Fire

edit:  that pic has given me a lolattack

Last edited by egr (Jun 8, 2011 11:14 pm)