Europa surfing on the monolith

http://chipmusic.org/nkogliaz/music/coca-cola-funk

Thanks.

It's not bad, but it's a little bit repetitive. Try to learn more about variation and getting different sections of your song to sound different. It'll really spice up your music.

Also, structure is a very good thing to study. Let's say you wrote that as section A, then you wrote a few transitions, then a section B that sounded different. You could do something like ABABA, or you could get more in depth with it and do a lot more sections, and make them a measure long. So like, section A is one thing of one measure with one feel and melody, section B is another with a different feel or melody, Section C is another, and Section D is yet another. Then you could do ABCD ABCD ABCD and expand.

A great thing to start with for structure would be the typical Intro Verse Chorus Verse Chorus Bridge Outro approach, but as that gets boring you should start designing your own structures based on how you feel your music should progress.

Sorry if you did have more structure than I thought, I have a bad wireless connection right now and the audio was coming in and out.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the response..

House / Disco House / Electro house as well as Trance layout are usually pretty straight forward and repetitive, syncopation & repetition are literally the foundation of electronic music as a whole from its very beginnings, from the europop / synthpop / early acid techno of Detroit and europe, to that of the House music from Chicago from Frankie Knuckles, (I.E. Chicago House) and Larry Levan in New York City (F.Y.I., House music is literally called "House" because originally is was created in peoples homes, there is another side of the coin that claims that the term house music came from a type of music that warehouses played, kind of like a standard of music, i.e. Our main course this evening will be the house music, i.e. the music of the house and or establishment it is being heard in), I used to know a guy named Apollo that was actually raving back when it all started by the gay african american community, he claims it was coined from music people made at home and then later took out to play in the evening.

Wikipedia...   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_music

That being said, I've been a musician since I was 6 years old, I play guitar, bass, drums and piano and have been an electronic music dj for about 17 years now, not to say I am the foundation of structure, but I have quite a firm grasp in how music / songs are constructed in general..  not really useful information, but maybe it will give you an idea on my musical background..

Thanks for the comment and for listening, might I suggest taking a 2nd listen if you get a chance, there are quite a few different progressions throughout the tune itself (there is a change every 32 bars to a progression).

big_smile

Last edited by nkogliaz (Jun 8, 2011 6:21 pm)

San Francisco

all i can say is easy on the tagging. the system is there to help with searches not to spam. other than that.... pretty sweet track.

Brooklyn NY US

comprehensive tagging = the best tagging

uhajdafdfdfa

nkogliaz gets an award for being worst at handling constructive criticism

wedanced wrote:

all i can say is easy on the tagging. the system is there to help with searches not to spam. other than that.... pretty sweet track.

Thanks a lot wedanced, I am glad you enjoyed it.  smile

Also for the tagging, I only placed in tags things I either a) used on to make and record the tune with, or b) things I thought the tune related to, there was no spamming and or malice intended on my behalf, this is what I believe tags are used for.

Last edited by nkogliaz (Jun 8, 2011 11:21 pm)

nkogliaz wrote:

Thanks for the response..

House / Disco House / Electro house as well as Trance layout are usually pretty straight forward and repetitive, syncopation & repetition are literally the foundation of electronic music as a whole from its very beginnings, from the europop / synthpop / early acid techno of Detroit and europe, to that of the House music from Chicago from Frankie Knuckles, (I.E. Chicago House) and Larry Levan in New York City (F.Y.I., House music is literally called "House" because originally is was created in peoples homes, there is another side of the coin that claims that the term house music came from a type of music that warehouses played, kind of like a standard of music, i.e. Our main course this evening will be the house music, i.e. the music of the house and or establishment it is being heard in), I used to know a guy named Apollo that was actually raving back when it all started by the gay african american community, he claims it was coined from music people made at home and then later took out to play in the evening.

Wikipedia...   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_music

That being said, I've been a musician since I was 6 years old, I play guitar, bass, drums and piano and have been an electronic music dj for about 17 years now, not to say I am the foundation of structure, but I have quite a firm grasp in how music / songs are constructed in general..  not really useful information, but maybe it will give you an idea on my musical background..

Thanks for the comment and for listening, might I suggest taking a 2nd listen if you get a chance, there are quite a few different progressions throughout the tune itself (there is a change every 32 bars to a progression).

big_smile

Oh I'm quite familiar with House music as well, I listen to quite a lot of it actually, it's a great genre. And I too have been a musician since my wee years, I wasn't trying to offend your accomplishments.

Sorry about the misunderstanding. It's quite a nice track, really. I'm just suggesting a little bit more variety...sometimes house tends to drone on and on and on and on, and from what I've heard with newer house tracks that incorporate more variation, I've really tended to get a more varied mindset in my house tracks.

Maybe you could vary the instrumentation a bit more? I was just getting a bit distracted at points through the song. Nice job, nonetheless!

No offense taken.