Germany
kitsch wrote:

quBit, how many manhours do you think goes into a set like this? 

also, metal buttons are conductive (unless they are coated with something which isn't, of course).  one could conceivably 'wire' up these buttons and create contact points to do 'stuff'. 

i'm not sure why, just a thought.

like a cracklebox.

for example, you'd need one 'master pole' to touch, then you could tap the metal buttons to trigger things.  events, glitches, whatever. 

this way the buttons won't be contact points, unless this master pole is touched as well.

this could work...   and be pretty cool.  with any conductive metal of course.

its at least 4hours of handwork for a set like that.
well yea thats an good idea i guess. its possible with the silver and should be possible with the upcoming aluminum sets as well. you can experiment around with it when you recieve your set wink

Sweeeeeeden
kitsch wrote:

quBit, how many manhours do you think goes into a set like this? 

also, metal buttons are conductive (unless they are coated with something which isn't, of course).  one could conceivably 'wire' up these buttons and create contact points to do 'stuff'. 

i'm not sure why, just a thought.

like a cracklebox.

for example, you'd need one 'master pole' to touch, then you could tap the metal buttons to trigger things.  events, glitches, whatever. 

this way the buttons won't be contact points, unless this master pole is touched as well.

this could work...   and be pretty cool.  with any conductive metal of course.

You could probably hook these up as a variable resistor ina pitch mod for example. Connect one wire to each button and use a sweaty thumb as a variable resistor. Don't know if you can use electronics solder with silver. You might be able to. The mod would be pretty much useless, but you could do it just to do it I guess...

FlashHeart
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

there are stupid people who thinks that the gameboy must be pretty.

I think everything is nicer if its pretty. I'm personally not a big fan of silver buttons on a game boy - largely because they look totally out of place.

But on the other hand... I was talking with a friend the other day about what it would be like to have game boys in cases of wood, porcelain, or lacquered and painted papier mache. I really don't think standard game boys look very nice (in fact I think they're positively ugly,) but that's mainly because I always prefer other materials to plastic. It's obviously all a matter of taste, and I understand the impracticalities of having a game boy made of the above materials, but I would like looking at it in my hands more than an ugly utilitarian box in that dull shade of grey and I'm sure it would be fine as long as one was careful with it.

I'll defend the silver buttons not on aesthetic grounds but on the basis that I'm for anybody trying new things to make their instruments more beautiful. People buy expensive guitars not only because they sound better but very often because they love the way they look as well. Some of us really care about things being visually pleasing and I don't think we're stupid for that.

I'd like to see people with an artistic bent really start thinking of innovative new things to change the look of the rather plain game boy. After all, we're already using it for a purpose other than that for which it was created, why not craft it to suit our own taste? Imagine carved game boys, game boys in fantastically odd shapes, game boys bound in cloth or leather... the possibilities are genuinely infinite.

Brazil
Natty wrote:

I'd like to see people with an artistic bent really start thinking of innovative new things to change the look of the rather plain game boy. After all, we're already using it for a purpose other than that for which it was created, why not craft it to suit our own taste? Imagine carved game boys, game boys in fantastically odd shapes, game boys bound in cloth or leather... the possibilities are genuinely infinite.

My quote on this was pretty stupid anyway. I should've wrote it better.
I was thinking more about those kids who don't even know how to turn the gameboy on. Those kind of people who were got in a "wave" of retronostalgia and got himself with a pretty glowing gameboy without the slightest idea of what they are doing. And by buying a piece of plastic for 200$.

As I said before, I would like to have an aluminium gameboy (as this guitar). I don't particularly think that modding you gameboy is that stupid if it's not functional.

Just as much as you, I'd like to see that too. Dunno if I would ever buy something like that.

Last edited by Subway Sonicbeat (Jun 9, 2011 10:27 pm)

San Francisco

ok guys but for real. i am kinda over this thread. cant we just not post in it anymore and let it fade into the sands of time? just saying.

matt's mind

got the buttons in the mail today...

i'm not hugely into reviews, but these really deserve it...  really gorgeous.  quBit has talent.  the polish on them is smooth all the way across, no ripples at all in the finish, and the molding is top notch (better than the plastic handcast buttons even, and in metal this is impressive for sure).  rough texture totally taken off EACH button is stamped with the silver content (if you care about resell in the future or whatever). 

a very talented metalsmith (not sure the correct term). 

silver isn't everyone's cup-of-tea, so other metals might suit you better.  they are kitschy, but thats even better (for me at least, and i do like buttons).  truly beautiful, they really are...  the only issue i can possibly think of is the tarnishing, but with a cheapo silver cloth if they get dirty a single swipe across lifts it all up...  not a big deal at all.  and those cloths are very cheap.

very professional.  very very actually. 

the link port cover even snaps in wink  really great job with the casting and cleaning!

thanks so much quBit!  really happy about these wink

can't wait to see other metal types and more silver types!  and whatever else you've got cooking with your metalsmithing. 

or, whatever you've got smelting i should say wink

Sweeeeeeden

Question: How does the bounce-back for select/start work? I suppose you need to have rubber pads under sel/start to make the button go back after you press it? Do sel/start feel comfortable to push?

matt's mind

the select/start buttons have the original silicon membrane below, so the action is almost the same.  the weight of the metal isn't enough on top to have an impact on the bounce-back.

the silver on the select/start buttons are basically a cap.  below the shell of the gameboy its still the silicon.  the tops of the silicon buttons are replaced only.

works really well.  i'm not sure the material quBit used to get it to all stay together, some sort of an adhesive that will hold metal and silicon i guess.  i can't really see any, but its a very tight and solid fit.  i'm assuming an adhesive...

Germany
kitsch wrote:

works really well.  i'm not sure the material quBit used to get it to all stay together, some sort of an adhesive that will hold metal and silicon i guess.  i can't really see any, but its a very tight and solid fit.  i'm assuming an adhesive...

there is nothing between the silicon and the silver. i just cut off a part from the silicone and molded it into silver directly. so you can just slide the silver into the silicon.
thank you for the nice review wink

Germany, Trier

can you do them from titan big_smile?

Necrophile.

Though an interesting thread. smile

Cleveland, OH

So who bought these? Did anyone make a blinded out Game Boy?

Douglas, Wyoming

Soon my diamond studded platinum gameboy with gold trim will be a reality...I'll call it the pimpboy

Bit Shifter wrote:

I don't think anyone's opposed to modifications in general, and I don't think anyone's trying to abridge anyone else's freedom to make buttons out of whatever substance they like. Personally I, as one individual, see this modification, specifically, as silly, expensive, and nonutilitarian, and consequently I am expressing that opinion accordingly. All are free both to disagree and to buy (or forge) Game Boy buttons made of precious metals.

It may be unnecessary, but it is bitchin as hell.

Last edited by Monotron (Mar 30, 2013 11:58 pm)