Secret Sega Master System Snail Game

Instructions:

• Boot up the Sega Master System without a cartridge in any slot.

• After the warning screen shows up, press and hold Up+1+2 on the Master System controller.

My apologies if this is a known thing-- I had never heard of it, and thought I'd share it. Saw it on Facebook.

Chicago IL

yeah, i thought there were a couple different games that the SMS had as a BIOS rom?

Chicago IL

from wikipedia

On the original release of the Master System, a hidden game known as Snail Maze is built in the console, which was a number of labyrinth puzzles with a time limit. This game can be accessed from the system BIOS by starting the system without a game cartridge inserted and holding Up the buttons 1 and 2 simultaneously.[31]

Astro Warrior is integrated into one version of the console (the Sega Base System, which was slightly less expensive and lacked the Light Phaser). Hang-On and Safari Hunt are also integrated into another version of the console. Additionally, the original North American release of the console (which included the built-in Snail Maze) came bundled with a cartridge containing both Hang On and Safari Hunt. Some versions only had Hang-On built in. Alex Kidd in Miracle World is integrated into Master System II consoles in North America, Australia and Europe. Sonic the Hedgehog is integrated into newer PAL Master System II consoles. It was later ported to the Sega Game Gear.

oh ok, cool. Thanks for the info!

love me some easter eggs in gaming

Last edited by Battle Lava (Jun 17, 2011 1:11 pm)

Brazil

In brazil they sold SMS with built-in Sonic. Is hard to see the original one.

really? wow. Never knew about any of this. Never even thought about games being built into the system at all.

The Hollow Earth

I'd always heard about that, but mine was the "3D" edition so it had Missle Command 3D as a BIOS ROM instead.

Milwaukee, WI

Hm, I wonder.  Perhaps the ROM component of little-scales's MIDI interface could be burned with the BIOS onto a SMS.  Would be pretty neat!

São Paulo, Brazil
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

In brazil they sold SMS with built-in Sonic. Is hard to see the original one.

No it's not. I bought one for 20 dollars.

Earth

My master system came with Alex Kid in Miracle World as a default game.

Spain

Had one with Alex Kidd and another one with Sonic (post-93 I think).

Brunswick, GA USA

I have one with the maze game and one with hang on, that's how I tell them apart.

Westfield, NJ

BIOS games like this are a great way to test the performance of the system without needing a cartridge.

Joliette, QC, Canada

Mine got Hang on/Safari Hunt in it !

shanghai

mine had hang on for sure

Toronto, Canada

I had the hang on + safari hunt SMS, and it also did the snail game. It actually explained in the manual how to get to the game.