At some point, everyone gets writers block, and no matter what they do, they just can't get anything out of their brain that sounds good. Unfortunately, I seem to be stuck in that position. I have no idea what I'm gonna do to get out of it.

What are some of your "evasive maneuvers" to get around writers block? Let's see some techniques that both others and I can use!

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

Multiple tracks. This doesn't seem to work for everyone, but I find jumping between different (up to 3/4) tracks when I get stuck helps the ideas flow, as something that doesn't work on one track might work on another, which then might inspire something out of another track which might etc etc.
Another good tactic is covering old songs with new ideas or techniques you've picked up along the way, I find a combination of the two tactics (working on 4 songs whilst one of them is a re-do of an old/ previously abandoned one) seems to keep the ideas flowing pretty consistently smile

quit forever.

Connecticut USA

I tend to use humor in my music when I got teh block.

Brunswick, GA USA

This: http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/2588/ … e-burnout/

Teeside, UK

I tend to have a lot of unfinished tracks knocking around. When I can't write anything decent, I tend to go back to these old songs and try and finish them, restart them or pick out certain melodies or chord progressions. I also try to remix other songs for a source of inspiration.

The best thing you can really do is just step away from your music making gadget, go and listen to other music - stuff you love, stuff you usually wouldn't listen to etc. or just get out of the house/studio, go for a walk.

Oh oh before I forget: always carry a phone or something with a voice recorder so when you get a cool little melody in your head you can sing it into the recorder and you'll end up with a nice little collection of melodies to use when you're in a dry patch.

São Paulo, Brazil

go find a job that really pisses you off. Kinda we get here in Brazil. You'll be so miserable with your life that you'll do everything to make that daily few free minutes making music result into something good.

Chicago IL

i just do covers to keep my music muscles sharp. covering a bunch of songs from one artist can give you insight into their writing methods and give you a new perspective on writing.

Connecticut USA
Saskrotch wrote:

i just do covers to keep my music muscles sharp. covering a bunch of songs from one artist can give you insight into their writing methods and give you a new perspective on writing.

True, I gotta do this more.

London, Ontario

the key is to not suck

Andrew: That's a good idea, I tried that and I actually wound up finishing one I started a while ago. I saw a file called "DIRTAY" tongue

4mat: I guess that's one thing you could do.

Misfit: Haha, that's not a bad idea. I actually did that today before you said that. I did a short house loop with some funny samples in there.

chunter: Same thing I did haha tongue

Tunners: Thanks for the advice man, that really worked out for me today!

PULSELOOPER: Jeeze, that's a really hardcore way to write music tongue I'm sure that'll wind up being a good piece of advice if I ever hear back from Target.

Saskrotch: That's a really really really good idea actually. Never thought of that! Looks like I'm covering some of your stuff soon big_smile

Thanks to everyone that posted!

San Francisco

first i throw a hissy fit i go thru all of my old music and delete it. then i take all of my new music and then delete it. I start over. then i weep when my writers block disappears and everything is gone. After that usually i sit and think about how i shouldnt have done what i did.

wedanced wrote:

first i throw a hissy fit i go thru all of my old music and delete it.

Oh man, you should probably stop doing that haha. I'm sure you lose a lot of cool stuff.

liverpool - uk

I find the best thing to do is to just stop for a little bit and go and get charged up on inspiration, download some new music, go for a drive or a walk and listen to it. Go and check out some live music of a different genre.  Or sometimes, just sitting down at a keyboard and playing around for fun, not meaning to actually create a track can bring out some good stuff for me.

USA

Depending on what medium I'm working in, I usually have a project file or two that I use to experiment with instrument sounds and patterns. I find that going to these and just creating some new sounds and instruments gets some ideas flowing. Also looking back at old experiments is inspiring. You also end up with a nice library of sounds you can go though for the skeleton of a new project.

Good advice on here.

poisoncut: That's a good idea. Accidentally stumbling across something you like!

Grubznug: Wow, I never thought of that. Like your own personal library of instruments. That's really cool, I'm gonna use that idea!