Nomad's Land

yep, that seems to be the idea.

anyway, as it's a software config it should be possible to work around somehow. i remember reading something about recompiling certain kernel modules... well, you'll have to research yourself.

alternatively, you can of course always plug your line-out (or even headphone-out) into the line-in. it requires soldering in a resistor or capacitor though. to be honest i haven't tried it myself. but there are a lot of websites about this, so just get googling wink

Llanelli, Wales

Aiite, thanks again man, really appreciate it smile

Riverside, CA
irrlichtproject wrote:

you don't happen to have a DELL netbook? dell has a policy of disabling internal mix recording, which would explain why the sliders don't show up in alsamixer. they offer a patch for that, too, but not for linux sad

Nope. It's an Asus EeePC 1001PX.
It might not be that because I can do the internal mix recording just fine with pulseaudio.
However I can't figure out how to record from my mic jack. (it's one of those mic + headphone all in one jacks)

Nomad's Land

say what? a mic+headphone all in one jack? never heard of that. but it doesn't surprise me that it doesn't work.
are you sure it's a normal jack and not a 3-line headset jack?

Riverside, CA

My friend's netbook's the same way, one port that does both.
I'll have to find a 3-line headset somewhere and see if it works.
I think I'll just end up getting something like this for quick recording.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-to-aud … -card-9723

Nomad's Land

i suspect this thing might have a very high latency. generally speaking a usb interface will be the best option for you, but it's definately worth investing a bit more.