Brazil

You sequence numbers/notes. It doesn't matter how, is all sequencing.

Phylosophical troll

IL, US

im kind of sad if really most of you dont use live mode on your stuff for gigs
how does that not bore the fuck out of you as an artist while performing live?

São Paulo, Brazil
e.s.c. wrote:

im kind of sad if really most of you dont use live mode on your stuff for gigs
how does that not bore the fuck out of you as an artist while performing live?

Actually, I think most people that use song mode on their LSDJ/LGPT live sets compensate the lack of pattern triggering by changing instruments and tables parameters.

Or am I wrong?

Last edited by PULSELOOPER (Jul 13, 2011 4:12 pm)

Brazil

Hope you're right. Otherwise we all see dead acts?

Unsubscribe

im really enjoying protrekkr so far, so maybe ill get out of my tracker ghetto finally big_smile

Fuck.
The.
Gameboy.

But let's get back on topic.

Even though I love Famitracker and it's still my weapon of choice, I love module tracking and I'm trying to get better at it.

Module tracking lets you do lots of stuff with sound. On-the-fly additive synthesis using only a sine wave sample? It's possible. Getting pulse-width-modulation by playing around with a saw and a ramp? It's possible. Adding variations to the sound of a percussion track by playing the same beat on a different channel and with different notes? It's possible. And those are only the few tricks I've discovered/observed, I bet some of the veteran tracker users would probably tell me I'm just 'learning to walk'.

Module tracking is also, like someone else said on the thread, piss easy to backup and share. Unless you're using a gigantic amount of high-quality samples, most of the time you end up with a file between 8 and 80 KB that even my grandmother and her dial-up connection can download and listen to. And another great thing about this: it allows for collaborative work. I can write up a few patterns, upload the file, some other dude can grab it and expand it or refine it, upload it again, then I open it again and do some more, upload it again... There's an imageboard around where people do that, IIRC. And unless people are using and abusing commercial VSTs, it's pretty easy for any and everyone to have compatible setups to do so.

I know most of the stuff I'm saying has already been posted and that I sound like one of those excited youngsters marveling at the mundane. But that's how I feel about module tracking right now. And I bet many of the newbies would be marveled by it too if their idols made more modules, not to mention if certain module artists didn't delete their work at any chance they had, 4MAT. I know you might have good reasons to do what you do, but damn, man.

As for the live aspect... I dunno. I'm rather old-fashoined about that kinda thing, and to me, people who just push play and fiddle around with the volume and the patterns are just DJing, not actually playing live. To me, playing live involves an instrument being played at the very moment, and that the instrument's output is what's being heard through the speakers. That's what I know as playing live, and as for playing chip music live, I would expect seeing musicians rocking the shit out of a keyboard/keytar and/or an electronic drum set. Maybe even vocals. Maybe even grabbing the vocals and passing them through a vocoder and/or a bitcrusher to get some backing vocals. Who knows?

Brazil

I agree with you, Huesuedo. Actually I agree that modules are easier and smaller to share, are "open source" and etc. Famitracker do the same. LGPT, despite not compressing the samples into a modue is easy to share too. I did that a few times. And I love module trackers, is just not my weapon of choice and I think most people just don't overlook, they just don't want to or are too frightned to use. And I heard that a lot, I say that a lot.

The issue is people looking at it and not being afraid of using it. If they ike it, great. If not, well, that's ok.

I actually consider my liveset as a DJset per se. I'm not singing - I did that and Pulselooper heartly disencouraged me hahaha - and not playing keytars/boards or any shit.
If Daft Punk can do that, well, fuck me.

Sweden

Why don't more sportsmen play squash? Here are some advantages:
* You can play by yourself
* It's good exercise
* Increases your hand/eye coordination
* etc. you get my point

Cue a discussion where 50% try to apply their own personal reasons for not playing squash to everyone else and the other 50% trying to convince badminton players that squash is the shit.

Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

And I think the ratio of fami people to mod/xm people are almost equal.

What makes you think that? Do you have the hard numbers, or are you just making an observation based on the relatively few artists you encounter on 8bc and here?

Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

And using any sequencer is exactly the same as any tracker.

No.

Abandoned on Fire
boomlinde wrote:

a bunch of valid stuff

Maybe this discussion would be better served by just listing your personal bullet points, pro or con.

CON:  I don't want to deal with a sample library.  End.

Unsubscribe

Thats true. sample based songwriter is way more procedual, then carving sounds out of psg.. unless ogf course you use the same sample set on every song big_smile

egr wrote:

See there's some tracker ignorance right there.  At what point do you need a sample library?   Have one folder with a few drums sounds in (just like NES guys do with their DPCM stuff or LSDJ guys with their kits) and make the rest of the instruments as you need it.  You don't need any kind of library to write chip modules, heck you don't need to have any prepared samples at all.

VA

What I've gleaned from reading this thread is that people who like LSDJ seem to like LGPT, and we don't feel like moving out of our comfort zone.  It's not as though there is some assumed progression that goes like this: beginners use LSDJ as "training wheels", then move on to trackers.  It's just not the case. 

This indicates that it has nothing to do with samples/having a sample library and everything to do with the interface.

I play piano...why don't I play flute?  I don't hate the flute, I love the sound it makes, and if I didn't love the sound, I would at least respect the player. - I guess that's similar to what boomlinde was saying about squash, meh.

The assumption by Huesudo that we would make modules if our "idols" (who is that?) made them is ridiculous.  I'm inclined to agree with him on the point of playing live as opposed to DJing, but I have to say that I think there is a grey area.  What is dub?  It's pretty live, yet it involves many elements of a DJ set.

Last edited by Cartoon Bomb (Jul 13, 2011 6:24 pm)

Brazil
boomlinde wrote:

What makes you think that? Do you have the hard numbers, or are you just making an observation based on the relatively few artists you encounter on 8bc and here?

Observation.

boomlinde wrote:
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

And using any sequencer is exactly the same as any tracker.

No.

And yes it is, in a broader sense of making music.
Or you can say sheet music is not sequencing notes?

Abandoned on Fire
4mat wrote:
egr wrote:

See there's some tracker ignorance right there.  At what point do you need a sample library?   Have one folder with a few drums sounds in (just like NES guys do with their DPCM stuff or LSDJ guys with their kits) and make the rest of the instruments as you need it.  You don't need any kind of library to write chip modules, heck you don't need to have any prepared samples at all.

Not to start but all those hand drawn waves and stuff will continue to accumulate and eventually you'd want to use some instruments in more than one module so you end up with a "library"... that's just my experience in the short periods of times I've tried to use sample trackers.

Last edited by egr (Jul 13, 2011 6:23 pm)

AANABAY01

ilkae's post was buried and it was a fine post

egr wrote:
4mat wrote:

Not to start but all those hand drawn waves and stuff will continue to accumulate and eventually you'd want to use some instruments in more than one module so you end up with a "library"... that's just my experience in the short periods of times I've tried to use sample trackers.

yes but all music programs have instruments, and most of them allow you to save instruments out to a "library" of some kind, even if it's just a folder or a bank.  I was just saying you can start with a fresh module file just like with anything else.