Tokyo, Japan

I totally appreciate this is a very broad topic based on little to no hard research but MOD/XM seems to have quite a few inherent advantages

- You own the hardware
- The software is free
- Easy to install / Multiplatform
- Easy to share
- Easy to back up
- High profile community MOD/XM composers / performers (syhpus/4mat/ctrix etc)
- Infinite range of sounds available.
- Huge number of resources for new people to learn from

But it would seem the number of people new to the scene (by new I mean within the last few years or so), at least in our neck of the woods, who choose MOD/XM to compose / perform live seems vanishingly small.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why? The only thing I can think of is there aren't THAT many exciting options of things to do live with mods.

Abandoned on Fire

I'd blame it on the same hardware fetishism that leads to dumb terms like "fakebit" tongue

Madison, Alabama

While I really enjoy listening to MOD/XM, I haven't felt the urge to try my hand at it.  Call it fetishism if you want, but I do like composing on a Game Boy that I can hold and carry around.  And from a personal musical standpoint, I really enjoy the (in some cases severe) limitations imposed on me by "real" hardware. (I say "real" because I also enjoy software that imposes these limitations, like famitracker, etc.)  The limitations force me to employ workarounds that often lead to results that can often be rather interesting.

Of course, I could impose those same limitations on myself with MOD/XM, but I'd totally cheat.

All that being said, I did recently download Milky Tracker...

I also think for newer people to the genre, a Game Boy or NES is easier to identify with.

Abandoned on Fire

Don't forget about LGPT.  That counts in my book.

Chicago IL

no idea why i haven't downloaded milky tracker on this thing. thanks for the reminder!

Chicago IL

although honestly, i've learned how to work, or at least get around in, lsdj, fami, mod2psg, TFM/VGM, and milky is still totally intimidating to me.

Every time I have a poke at milky, I just wonder why I would use it rather than renoise... or something like neilsequencer. It kind of sits in that not limited enough to be interesting, yet not powerful enough to do everything I want (easily) spot..

São Paulo, Brazil

my second EP, from 2009, is .xm based. I had a great fun writing it and I'll surely do it again in the future.

I think many of us don't/didn't understand the workflow, at least I didn't myself for a while.

ALTHOUGH, the other day I was dicking around, and believe it or not I just "got" milky out of nowhere. Now, just to write something with it. It really isn't as intimidating as it may seem.

Last edited by an0va (Jul 12, 2011 4:29 am)

Ciudad de méxico, MX
Lazerbeat wrote:

there aren't THAT many exciting options of things to do live with mods.

ONE MILLION TIMES THIS.

Sydney, NSW

Since LSDJ I've been an newbie to trackers, and I'm slowly working my way up to the more advanced tracker options.
Right now, non of the easier trackers that I use have module exports, and frankly I don't need it.

So long as I have fun making the music, I don't care whether it's in WAV, MP3 or MOD.
But if the option's there, why not? Modules are significantly smaller in size than traditional audio files.

TSSBAY01

i still write in .it, with IT

hardcore, Australia

I think it also has to do with it not being 80s retro nostalgia blips and bloops "lol remember mario?"

That said, sometimes i enjoy the synthesis side of things. i like being able to say "i want that kick longer" and i can make it longer.

I do plenty of xm. soon to be more mods.

godinpants wrote:

I think it also has to do with it not being 80s retro nostalgia blips and bloops "lol remember mario?"

That said, sometimes i enjoy the synthesis side of things. i like being able to say "i want that kick longer" and i can make it longer.

I do plenty of xm. soon to be more mods.

That makes sense. But in regards to the second part, I dunno, I definitely see a fair share of "synthesis" going on. It's just as if you're synthesizing samples, I guess. The best stuff IMO is when you see someone take a fairly simple sample and make it sound fucking crazy with commands

San Francisco

Lets put it like this. I dont like it. .xm and .mod file types tend to be used by trackers i am not fond of. part of it is because of the generally busy looking ui and the fact that i have no control over live play but mostly I find that the results tend to sound cheesy for me. the programs are far less primitive then a lot of other programs but the sonic editing is pretty weak. good samples = good sound is easy but if you cant manipulate the sound it is useless in the long run. sample synthesis can be exciting but it really needs the same attention for sound design as a subtractive gets at least.

the one exception i found to this is with nitrotracker. that gets points just because it is mobile and has a touch interface.

all in all xm and mod are just playback files in my mind. they are like mp3s except you have to have special programs to listen and like i said... cheese.

Last edited by wedanced (Jul 12, 2011 6:04 am)

hardcore, Australia
an0va wrote:

That makes sense. But in regards to the second part, I dunno, I definitely see a fair share of "synthesis" going on. It's just as if you're synthesizing samples, I guess. The best stuff IMO is when you see someone take a fairly simple sample and make it sound fucking crazy with commands

Yeah i can see what you mean, i've seen (and done a few) .xm files with drawn waveforms and envelopes. And the pig takes this to the next level.
But i know when starting with sample trackers it's easy to fall into "these are the samples i have and will use"

wedanced: does the cheese come from re-pitched samples or the association with funky demoscene house?