killadelphia

This may help some people - i had no idea how to do this until about 2 or 3 hours ago...  Shiru tipped me off in this thread.  You can extract samples using Audacity and your .bin Genesis ROMs.  I used the Sonic 1 ROM (it has the "SE-GA" sample built into the ROM directly at the end so, it's really easy to spot).  Skitchin has some easy to spot samples, too.  From looking around at different ROMs it seems like there is no typical place within the data to find them...

Its worth noting that i used Audacity 1.2.6 for this:

1. GOTO Project > Import Raw Data...

2. locate the .bin ROM - open it

3. a prompt comes up - in the first drop down field - choose Unsigned 8-bit PCM

4. then change the sample rate down in the bottom feild to 16000  <<<  update *this is actually wrong  >>>  what you want to do is find the sample rate of the samples in GensKmod by going to CPU >> Debug >> Genesis >> YM2612 and then looking at the sample rate in the lower left hand corner - using esc can freez the ROM if there are a lot of rates flying by.  each drum can have a different samplerate!

5. Click Import

6. Highlight the samples (seems like they're usually grouped together)

7. Use Cntrl + T (Edit > Trim) to trim out the noise that the game data creates (sounds pretty cool actually)

8.  I haven't done this yet but, to avoid clipping when you throw your samples back into VGM music maker you might have to use very very tiny fade outs and fade ins at the begining and end of each sample

Last edited by animalstyle (Sep 23, 2014 7:26 am)

Godzilladelph

fuck year

Chicago IL

ohhh snap!

killadelphia

Here's some samples me, bucky, and dino found in Skitchin.  I didn't cut them up cause they're funny as hell.  hehe.

Skitchin Samples

Last edited by animalstyle (Jul 11, 2011 11:21 pm)

Teeside, UK

that was brilliant. might have a go with Toejam and Earl later on.

swayte!!!

Moscow, Russia

Now I'm really interested in that game data noise

Brazil

This is nice, gonna check some later!

yeah, i tried this and failed. Instead of admitting defeat starting turning all the databend sounds into rex files.lolol

killadelphia
shitbird wrote:

yeah, i tried this and failed. Instead of admitting defeat starting turning all the databend sounds into rex files.lolol

might not work for every rom - I think streets of rage's samples are compressed - but, thankfully there are a plethora of soundtests

killadelphia

also - Bucky and I were talking about organizing a sample bank (sorta like his DPCM folder) for this - if anyone finds any good samples and wants to contribute PM me

Russia, Moscow

Some Genesis games has a simple compression on samples. As far as I remember, it is an optional feature of SMPS engine, 4-bit DPCM compression (2:1 fixed rate). There are decompression tools, but it is not easy to use, you need to extract compressed data first, and it is not always the same, there is minor difference between games - different step tables or data organization. So in these cases it is simpler to just write sound from sound test or from game with all but FM6 channels turned off in an emulator.

Chicago IL

nice just ripped some samples, gonna start a VGM OHC with this stuff in a couple days big_smile

Sweden
animalstyle wrote:
shitbird wrote:

might not work for every rom - I think streets of rage's samples are compressed - but, thankfully there are a plethora of soundtests

If you have a problem doing it straight from the ROM, I suggest dumping the data from a VGM file using vgmdump and going from there to cut it out of the binaries it generates.

ad-hell-aide

Nice, I like the simplicity of this.

Chicago IL
boomlinde wrote:
animalstyle wrote:

If you have a problem doing it straight from the ROM, I suggest dumping the data from a VGM file using vgmdump and going from there to cut it out of the binaries it generates.

how does this work? do you just drag a rom onto the dump.exe? it seems like it freezes