killadelphia

So i tried to export a VGM from VGM music maker, then dump it into VGMplay to playback on my everdrive, and it didn't work.  Anyone know why?  thats how i used to playback my tunes with my tototek cart and TFM.  also - im a little confused about how to get a .tfc file for playback on the everdrive.  Did Shiru make a converter? / is his site down?  What do you convert from - TFD to TFC?  how's that done?

Last edited by animalstyle (Jul 10, 2011 7:47 pm)

Chicago IL

have you tried the .bin it gives you with other emulators first?

Adelaide, Australia

Hey animalstyle, I think you need to perhaps use an older version of VGM_PLAY, like version 2.00. Shiru mentioned something about this previously, so maybe try that. To convert .tfd files to .tfc, you need to use the command line tool TFMCOM, which comes with TFM MM in the 'replayers' folder. Hope you get it working!

killadelphia

Did a little more troubleshooting...

VGMplay 3.0 won't let me compile to bin from vgms created in VGM music maker - i get errors...  hmm...  VGMplay 2.0 is compiling though...  strange.

It would be better to use VGMplay 3.0 because he redid the button presses (much much better for live performance) + there is automatic file padding (which is only really an issue on the tototek carts - not the everdrive).

anyway - does anyone know how to get the module player working on the everdrive carts?  i know its a .bin you load up like a game, but i don't understand how to get a .tfc from either the vgms or the tfds from VGM music maker

what is this tfd thing anyway?

killadelphia

oops - haha - i think we both posted a couple min away!

thanks freezedream - btw - you're album is awesome!

killadelphia

Maybe i'll bug Micheal Stamper to see if its something with his VGMplay 3.0 code

Do you know if its something that VGM music maker is causing or is VGMplay 3.0 is causing this?

Last edited by animalstyle (Jul 10, 2011 11:28 pm)

Adelaide, Australia

Thanks man! Glad you like my album big_smile

I have no idea if it's VGM_PLAY or the tracker that is causing the problem. Maybe ask Shiru. It would be good if the latest version of VGM_PLAY worked.

Last edited by freezedream (Jul 10, 2011 11:24 pm)

killadelphia

Also, since i got it working - im hearing some wicked clipping in between the samples - could that be the samples i'm using?  Maybe I need to fade them in and out in Audacity?  BTW - does anyone have a good collection of sega drum samples?  I might just record them from the sound tests but, i'd rather get them straight from the code in the game - anyway to do that?  you know...  like how its done with famitracker and that one nsf player.

Russia, Moscow

VGMs generated by the editor are working in in_vgm, in VGM player of NeoMyth, and in VGMPLAY 2.00, so it is easy guess that the problem is with VGMPLAY 3.00.

Samples in Genesis games are often uncompressed, so you can get them just by opening a ROM as 8-bit raw PCM.

Chicago IL

did this with VGMPLAY 2.00 just now

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6320154/Saskrot … 20Demo.bin

Philadelphia, PA

Shiru / Animalstyle:  In VGM_PLAY v3.10 it will process VGMMM VGMs as long as you zero out the GD3 information.  It either doesn't process GD3 footers properly, or it doesn't like VGMMM's GD3 footer formatting.

Russia, Moscow

I don't think it is a good idea to fix something for something that is not working properly. GD3 works in other players? They play VGMs? If there is similar problem in some other player, then OK, needs to be fixed in the exporter, but so far only VGMPLAY 3.00 does not work.

Currently it is like, you know, fixing a game that works on the hardware and in every but one emulator.

killadelphia
B00daW wrote:

Shiru / Animalstyle:  In VGM_PLAY v3.10 it will process VGMMM VGMs as long as you zero out the GD3 information.  It either doesn't process GD3 footers properly, or it doesn't like VGMMM's GD3 footer formatting.

I think it pulls the info from the GD3 tags to display in the ROM, so that would make total sense.  How'd you figure that one out?

I'm gonna go write Micheal Stamper - he helped me out with the whole ROM padding thing in VGMplay 3.0 - I'm sure he'll fix this. It's probs something very small in the code.

Also - haven't seen you in 4evr Boo - you should come hang at 8static again!! we miss ya.

Last edited by animalstyle (Jul 13, 2011 5:53 pm)

Philadelphia, PA
animalstyle wrote:

I think it pulls the info from the GD3 tags to display in the ROM, so that would make total sense.  How'd you figure that one out?

I'm gonna go write Micheal Stamper - he helped me out with the whole ROM padding thing in VGMplay 3.0 - I'm sure he'll fix this. It's probs something very small in the code.

Also - haven't seen you in 4evr Boo - you should come hang at 8static again!! we miss ya.

Hey, man.  Yeah it's been a while. smile  May do 8static one of these days. big_smile

Good to know that DeadFish (Matthew) is still alive and active doing his thing.  I decided that I would attempt to troubleshoot the issue and determined the amounts of points of failure.  I started on a hunch with the GD3 footer information and was right.

Something that also doesn't work in VGM_PLAY v3.1 is his VGC support.  Using his VGMConv application, we're able to compress VGM files to an undocumented format that he made, but when processing them with the VGM_PLAY v3.1 application, a strange error saying "OUT OF MEMORY:  this may also be a bug," or something of the like appears.  If the VGM_PLAY v3.1 application actually banks and decompresses compressed VGM to VGC files, it would mean more available songs per binary file.  Taking into account that the compression most likely only compresses pattern and instrument data.  Compression of sample information would potentially cause more problems than help.  With compression of pattern and instrument data, the only cost would be CPU resources; resulting in a small pause from decrunching between song loads.

I'm hoping that someone creates a binary song format for Genesis and 32X some time soon; like NSF, SID, SGC, etc...  Would also be nice if VGM  MM takes advantage of 32X PWM, being that the VGM format supports it! big_smile

Last edited by B00daW (Jul 14, 2011 1:17 am)

Russia, Moscow
B00daW wrote:

Would also be nice if VGM  MM takes advantage of 32X PWM, being that the VGM format supports it! big_smile

I'm not interested in writing yet another MOD/XM tracker, sorry.

The vgm player crashed on the real hardware at the first dac sample. The vgm files generated by vgmmaker appear to output dac samples before a seek command. It was assumed that all files would seek before a dac event and the previous contents of  the dac indexing register was the control port $C00000. It seems that reading a byte from the control port crashes the real hardware. This problem was fixed by initializing the dac index register to the start of the dac data block.

This little program will patch vgm_play.exe V3.10 to fix the vgmmaker problem
http://mjsstuf.x10hosting.com/SEGA%20DEV/VgmPatch2.zip

The contents of this thread suggest that there is a problem with the rom builder, and yes its full of bugs and needs rewriting. I stubbornly decided to try and write my own gui programming framework so now the rombuilder is in a terrible state. Drag and drop is broken but adding files by clicking on the button works, I could not find any problems with the rom builder in relation to these vgm files.