Russia, Moscow

Not a ROM, A VGM file, of course. There are a lot of already ripped VGMs from games at Project2612, and some emulators has VGM recording feature as well.

Last edited by Shiru (Jul 16, 2011 3:32 am)

Chicago IL

oh okay, makes sense.

Chicago IL

hmm, it's doing the same thing it was with a .vgm. i'm supposed to drag the .vgm onto the .exe, right?

Russia, Moscow

Yes. Just wait, it is really slow.

Chicago IL

huh, i left it running for like 20 minutes. i guess i'll try again.

Russia, Moscow

It is not that long, though, it is 10 or more seconds on 3 GHz for a song. However, if something is wrong, it can just wait forever (or create empty files without waiting). Try to unpack VGZ if it is packed and call it through bat file instead of drag and drop. How it works for sure: unpack a VGM, put into the same dir, rename to 1.vgm (to exclude spaces from the name), make a bat with a line 'dump 1.vgm', run the bat. Don't know what is necessary and what is not.

Last edited by Shiru (Jul 16, 2011 6:37 am)

Chicago IL

i'll try renaming it, i have no idea how to call it through the bat file though. i got no dos skills.

Russia, Moscow

Create a txt file. Type a line in it:

dump 1.vgm

Save file, change file extension to .bat. Double click on the file to run it.

Chicago IL

awesome, it worked! thanks!

Neo Jersey

great idea! a genesis drum pack would be awesome. The audacity method didnt seem to work for me. i just got a bunch of noise lol (using audacity 1.3 beta on win7/64bit...maybe thats why?) i guess ill try the vgmdump method.

Last edited by HPizzle (Jul 18, 2011 4:00 am)

killadelphia

So - i'm looking for some Alien 3 drum samples and what do i find >>  a C64 bassdrum in there, but no samples.  I wonder why.  I guess the actual drums are compressed in this song...  but why would there be an uncompressed C64 bassdrum.  Totally bizzare.

A couple other things we found were some samples that were sped up.  Is it possible that they sped up some samples to save room and then slowed them down with the software?  That might explain the crunchiness of some of these.  Any truth to this - Shiru, someone else?

Sweden
animalstyle wrote:

So - i'm looking for some Alien 3 drum samples and what do i find >>  a C64 bassdrum in there, but no samples.  I wonder why.  I guess the actual drums are compressed in this song...  but why would there be an uncompressed C64 bassdrum.  Totally bizzare.

Are you sure it wasn't just a table of sorts? Either way I'd love to hear it!

animalstyle wrote:

A couple other things we found were some samples that were sped up.  Is it possible that they sped up some samples to save room and then slowed them down with the software?  That might explain the crunchiness of some of these.  Any truth to this - Shiru, someone else?

The sample rate is software driven, AFAIK, so there's really no default rate at which samples are played. Playing some things at half/double the rest of the samples seems quite likely, in that sense, to play samples only as clearly as necessary..

Last edited by boomlinde (Jul 18, 2011 4:35 pm)

Russia, Moscow

Yes, there is no hardware-defined sample rate, it can be any up to 50+ kHz. You can expect it to be 8000-16000 in games, not necessarily a 'standart' one.

Liverpool, UK

This is awesome fun, thanks so much for the method!

WWF RAW (some funny noises here, of people getting beaten up)
Zero Wing (just a few drum sounds)
Bart's Nightmare (a few simpsons samples)

Last edited by calmdownkidder (Aug 7, 2011 2:09 pm)

Brazil

Whoa, actually, forgot I did that before. I used the rom of Snatcher - you know wtf i'm talking about, don't ask, it's early in the morning. Got some sweet samples, all that talking from the entire game non stop.

killadelphia

hey - totally reviving this post... I'm trying to rip the Galaxy Force 2 samples - got some recorded from an emulator but I'm noticing some differences when played back on the hardware.  anyone want to take a stab at it?