Australia

Tons.

Most of what you need to know is in the original spec: http://www.classicgamedev.com/Lynx:Atar … ence#Audio

Multi page TIFF page on example workflows here: http://www.atariage.com/Lynx/archives/d … 20Lynx.tif

Fr

Thank you for all this, can't wait to use my Lynx for music. Going to have a look at it soon. Keep up the goodjob guys !

cTrix wrote:

Tons.

Most of what you need to know is in the original spec: http://www.classicgamedev.com/Lynx:Atar … ence#Audio

Interessting, hat they put this under some "public" license even soi they do not own the rights.
This looks like the BLL OCR scans.

Anyway they will not tell you _how_ to create sounds :-/

San Francisco
cTrix wrote:

I was actually looking for a chip name or number but this is pretty good info too.

so what i gather is this thing is a 4 channel square wave/pseudo triangle wave osc?

wedanced wrote:
cTrix wrote:

I was actually looking for a chip name or number but this is pretty good info too.

so what i gather is this thing is a 4 channel square wave/pseudo triangle wave osc?

well 4 channel pseudo random wave or triangle would fit better.
plus 4 DACs for direct sample output (on 6502/4MHz thats eating lot of CPU) plus each channel can be positionied freely in stereo and attenuated.

Add:
Ah yes, chip name, well its embedded into the main cpu :-)

Last edited by sagelynx (Jul 15, 2011 8:56 pm)

Australia

OK.  Here are my latest progressions!  I'm not that happy with the track but it's 4:35am and I've got work tomorrow.

http://lynx.syntaxparty.org/tests/cTrix-Lynx-TEST2.mp3
(Made this going back and forth to MODPlug but also in the actual tracker)

A few things I noticed / suggestions for the software:

- Auto add .sin automatically when saving instruments from simple instrument
- Sometimes crashes if I try to tune / tweak instruments while playing back from tracker
- One of the notes in the tracker shows up as an H?!
- Still gets stuck at sequence pattern 10 and doesn't keep playing (you'll see what I mean)
- When I use the play in the simple instrument window; it's at a different volume than when the tune plays back - more so, the envolope is different.  I know why this happens, it would just be handy to have a "master velocity" control in the simple instrument window maybe? (easiest fix!)

Requests / Ideas

- when adding notes in tracker have option to play the rest of the line along side note being added in
- have an option when using arrows up and down to also play that line (could be same as above)
- A one click exporter to generate WAV samples of all the sounds as a sample pack (takes me about 20 mins to sample and chop up otherwise)
- Recognise the volume command "Cxx" on MOD import & implement note volume.
- MOD import optimzer / pattern optimiser to remove repeat patterns.  (not vital, I can do this manualy still!)

Sounding good though!  Chipper is certainly in a usable state.  I'm just learning how to make it tick at the moment :-)

The source files are at: http://lynx.syntaxparty.org/tests/ctrix … source.zip
The track runs at 1000 (4us*250)

Ps. How to compile this to something I can drop onto a cart?! ;-) (I have that MOD converter half working)

Australia

Oh, in case anyone wants to see an attempt at a flash cart for the Lynx:

Cost $$$ and can only store one EPROM image (and maybe only one tune! We'll have to see)

Milwaukee, WI

Wow!  You made that bringing a MOD back and forth in Chipper?  Good luck with getting it to play on the flash cart, I'd love to hear the results.  Keepin' my eyes peeled for a Lynx II.  smile

ok a few remarks.

mod import volume command...
actually, that was implemented, but as the volume does not scale with the envelopes used in chipper, i partly removed it.... which might be a reason the instruments sometimes seem to have the wrong volume... have to debug that.

It also seems that on the real hardware the high tones are damped (well low pass filter).

and ... there are bugs smile as always, some instruments produce a quirk (well not in your track, but in mine).

export to real hardware: i will add a write to lnx image like in the mod converter and the picture converter.

Note: How did you get the mod converter _half_ working???

Australia
sagelynx wrote:

I'm referring to the Lynx Mod Converter (different program)... It hasn't worked with a single (highly adapted) MOD of mine yet!  All the samples end up getting offset and glitching all over the place.  It also crashes the emulator / hardware - sometimes on the first note!  I'm _that_ interested in doing crappy conversions of my MOD's but I was curious to see if it worked with any of my tracks.  My focus is on Chipper for now! :-)

cTrix wrote:
sagelynx wrote:

I'm referring to the Lynx Mod Converter (different program)... It hasn't worked with a single (highly adapted) MOD of mine yet!  All the samples end up getting offset and glitching all over the place.  It also crashes the emulator / hardware - sometimes on the first note!  I'm _that_ interested in doing crappy conversions of my MOD's but I was curious to see if it worked with any of my tracks.  My focus is on Chipper for now! :-)

Yes, that was clear to me.
The code of the Mod Converter is based on very old GFA basic code and it only supports simple 4 channel mods and mostly no effects.

Australia

Finally hunted down a MAX3232 and the components to make a BLL cable.   I could make the cable today but the sun is out and I prolly should go for a walk or something... * looks at pile of components *

Still would be great to get a compiler to make a lynx binary though.  :-)

cTrix wrote:

Finally hunted down a MAX3232 and the components to make a BLL cable.   I could make the cable today but the sun is out and I prolly should go for a walk or something... * looks at pile of components *

Still would be great to get a compiler to make a lynx binary though.  :-)

No problem, i would just have to compile the assembler for windows, the chipper can just call it to create the binary on export.

Australia

Ahhh... so the ASM code that is generated is able to be compiled directly? Sorry - I assumed it was without play-code!  I'm looking forward to doing some tests soon.

ps. Am I on the right track if I use lynxass to compile to the "o" format and lynxer to create the EPROM image?

Last edited by cTrix (Aug 23, 2011 1:39 pm)

cTrix wrote:

Ahhh... so the ASM code that is generated is able to be compiled directly? Sorry - I assumed it was without play-code!  I'm looking forward to doing some tests soon.

ps. Am I on the right track if I use lynxass to compile to the "o" format and lynxer to create the EPROM image?

not in the "public" version.
What I send you by PM contains the player code as a seperate file which includes then the exported music file; its then compiled and a rom image is created. All needed files are included in the archive.

-> Just click export BLL and everything else is done automagically

cTrix wrote:

just a remark, use lynxdir not lynxer, its more flexible.

Last edited by sagelynx (Aug 23, 2011 4:49 pm)