BK

Yeah, I know. Sounds crazy....but it's happening. The battery tabs had broken off, and the cart was losing its saves pretty consistently. I desoldered the battery.  Just for fun, I tried saving on it...and it worked. There's stuff in working memory and I can save and load songs.

Equally strange, I had EM_Dash try and flash it with 3.9.9 up from 3.8.7, and he got a bunch of errors and the cart refused to boot for a while. After the battery was removed, it started to work again, and now it's running 3.9.9.

This is wrinkling my brain.

Anyone have any clue what's going on?

USA

magic?

Riverside, CA

Sounds like wizard cast a spell on it.

USA

Or your lying to us.

Canada

It might not be unpowered for long enough to cause data loss. Try leaving it out of the Game Boy, not plugged in to anything for like an hour and see if it's still fine.

Sweeeeeeden

I can tell you exactly what's going on.

higher res

There are two red boxes in the image.

The upper right one is a diode array with two diodes in the same package. They both have the cathode connected to the bottom pin. The two upper pins are the anodes, ie where the voltage "enters" to speak simply. The right one of those is connected to the positive terminal of the battery and the right one to the 5V on the cartridge slot and USB supply. This way both the sources can power the SRAM chip without interfering. Otherwise, the +5V from the Gameboy/USB would destroy the battery and the battery would discharge through the other circuits on the board when there was no external power.

The chip marked ISSI is the SRAM chip. It's a really low power RAM module that will draw almost no current.

The other part of the magic secret sauce is the capacitor C12. It's there mainly to smooth out the power supply when turning on or off the external power. A capacitor is commonly compared to a bucket that can hold an electrical charge. When you turn on the external power, instead of going directly from ~3V from the battery to 5V, the power goes (relatively) slowly from one voltage level to the other. Same thing if you turn off the power. Instead of going right down to ~3V, the voltage slowly drops as the capacitor gets discharged.

Same thing applies even if there's no battery: the charge drops slowly from 5V to 0V as the SRAM circuit consumes current. Until the voltage goes below the threshold of what the SRAM circuit needs to hold the data, the data is retained.

This reminds me of something that happened to my mother. She discovered that the remote control to her TV worked for a short while after she had pulled out the batteries, and it also has a capacitor for similar reasons. She thought the remote control was magical/haunted.

Sydney, NSW

^ Makes total sense.

Now, find out why my XBOX controller was working without being connected to the console tongue

Sweeeeeeden
Chainsaw Police wrote:

^ Makes total sense.

Now, find out why my XBOX controller was working without being connected to the console tongue

Because it's a wireless control with a battery and radio communication? tongue