Texas

While the Pro-Sound Mod sounds fantastic, there are times (usually when I'm composing on the ouch or something) where I would rather use the speaker instead. I noticed that one of my DMG's has a really noticeable high pitched whine coming out of the speaker and headphone out. It is also the one with a backlight mod for what it's worth. On my other DMG, it is much, much quieter.

So I'm wondering if that is something I can fix by swapping out some of the capacitors or if anyone has perhaps already done this and had some thoughts to share?

A simple fix is to just disconnect the speaker but that would make composing chip-music while on the pooper a bit more difficult smile

Matthew Joseph Payne

Would probably help. Kitsch-bent sells cap kits, they're pretty cheap! Been meaning to try it, hasn't happened yet. smile

Texas

Yeah actually mine just came in the mail smile I was a bit nervous about replacing some of them due to the way they are mounted. Soldering the new ones is cake - it's getting the old ones out I'm slightly apprehensive about.

Matthew Joseph Payne

What are you using to de-solder? I prefer those little solder-sucker things for this type of work.

matt's mind

desoldering braids help tons.

the easiest thing to do is heat up the solder and pick out the clipped off legs with tweezers, then clean it up with a braid.  well, easiest imo i guess

uk

Yeah, be sure to get a decent quality desoldering pump or solder sucker as they're called. Most of them are anti-static and some come with heat resistant tip which is great because if you don't have a very steady hand, and you accidently touch it with the soldering iron - it won't melt. So it's a piece of cake getting components out.

Texas

I have a decent one though I would love one of those heated pumps. RatShack has one for a decent price that might work well. The solder sucker generally works well for most stuff, although the last time I worked on a DMG was on the speaker and I had trouble getting all the metal bits out of the holes.