Tokyo, Japan

So I am trying to get one of those Cow'p style Wav channel kicks which leads into the low bass. If you listen to this video (which rules) at about :15 seconds you will see what I mean.

http://vimeo.com/6444847

So I have my WAV instrument, which is a manual 1 frame instrument with a table, The table looks like this:

0 PCF
1 PEF
2 -00
3 -00
4 -00
5 P00
6 -00
7 -00
8 -00
8 -00
a -00
b -00
c -00
d -00
e -00
f A1F

A being a table hop to table 1F which is empty.

played at C7 or C8This produces a kick which I am very happy with, only problem is the pitch seems a bit inconsistent. Every few "kicks" the pitch of the kick plays back a semitone or two higher or lower. Anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Sorry if I am not explaining this well.

England

Happened to me as well when I tried it a while ago, I couldnt find a way round it and gaave up.
I wish we could have fixed absolute value notes on tables in LSDJ (hint, hint!)

UK

The way how the kick is achieved with Nanoloop is by adjusting the length envelope and tweaking the pitch shift to both their desired points. Surely there's a way of adjusting the length with LSDj too? Unless this is purely the slight 'glitch' it seems with the pitch of the kick going up and down a semitone  or two every few "kicks".

sweden

Ive also had this problem. I would recommend doing tonal kicks with the L-command instead.

Brooklyn NY US

nordloef, what's your method (if you don't mind me looking up your skirt)? I've experimented a lot with creating tonal kicks in LSDJ using the L command (basically trying to recreate a Nanoloop-style kick), but never really got beyond a semi-satisfactory state.

East Kilbride, Scotland

Try this. If your normal groove for the song is 6/6, change your groove on just the wave channel to 3/3, and double your chains.

Table for bass drum:
0 PCF
1 PEF
2 -00
3 -00
4 -00
5 -00
6 K00
7 -00
8 -00
8 -00
a -00
b -00
c -00
d -00
e -00
f  -00

Then use the note C7 for your bass drum, and C4 for your bass instrument sound, and put the bass instrument sound on to the Play Manual setting.

Phrase Screen

0 C7 Bass Drum Instrument
1 C4 Bass Instrument Sound
etc

That should allow for a kick drum to blend seamlessly into a bassline at anything over about 120bpm as long as you place the bassline right on the note after the kick drum.

Last edited by Sycamore Drive (Aug 15, 2011 5:53 pm)

Tokyo, Japan

Thanks sycamore! I will try that.

Bit Shifter wrote:

nordloef, what's your method (if you don't mind me looking up your skirt)? I've experimented a lot with creating tonal kicks in LSDJ using the L command (basically trying to recreate a Nanoloop-style kick), but never really got beyond a semi-satisfactory state.

Also curious, I assume there is no way to do tonal kicks with L in tables? I haven't got a copy of LSDJ handy to fiddle with.

Have you guys tried this?

http://lsdsng.com/song/tonal-kick-tutorial

Brooklyn NY US

I should have known nitro2k01 Kenobi would have pioneered something like this. Thanks an0va -- will take a look!

São Paulo, Brazil

btw, does anybody know a good nanoloop tonal kick tutorial? I've been slowly tweaking with nano 1.5 for a while and my kick drums suck.

My two cents= Don't use the table.

Sweeeeeeden

So yeah, using the L command will solve the problem since you will "land" on the note you want. Another thing you can do is to switch the vibrato mode to one of the low frequency modes. (Anything but HF.) This also affects the pitch slides. The difference is that in HF mode, vibrato and pitch slides (P and L commands) are running freely, whereas in the LF modes, they are synced to the tempo. In other words, it's 100% consistent, and will also be stretched with any tempo changes. However, in the LF modes you need much bigger values in the P command to get the same effect. Maybe even P80 (the biggest negative value) to get a good kick.

Another thing, move the P command out of the table and place it in the phrase. It may seem like this makes no difference but any commands in tables are executed slightly later, which means you'll get a like a small "click" of the tone you're starting from, before the slide actually starts.

sweden
Bit Shifter wrote:

Dont think i have a proper method. Also think that most things have been covered already in this thread.

Old thread I started about it some years ago:

https://8bc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7999

And Gijs tutorial:

http://gieskes.nl/lsdj/?link=instrument … index.html

But yeah with nanoloop you also have to keep in mind that the envelope is locked to the "length". Nanoloop dont use the real length register though. You especially notice this on the S-channel. If this makes any sense.

Also another way of doing tonal kicks in lsdj is with octave kicks ( like the ones you do in carillon ). Just thought it was worth mentioning.

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

nordloef, you always have dope kicks.

Sweeeeeeden

This is basically my method, but not as good. With Gijs' method you need a "dead" step before each kick to set the initial pitch. (What he calls pull up notes.) With my method you instead set the initial pitch and start the slide in the same step by using the P command.