So i just got done back lighting both my Original Gameboys one is a play it load clear version and one is the normal run of the mill. The clear one plays both my EMS carts just fine. The normal will play all my official games but neither of the EMS. I cleaned it with alcohol still nothing. This happened to me yesterday. Turned it off went to bed woke up and it worked. Any advice on this?

Matthew Joseph Payne

Did you install the resistor on the backlight on the normal one? If not, the LED may be drawing too much power which could keep the EMS cart from loading. You could try a higher value resistor, potentially.

I got the V3 backlight from nonelectronics.com and just used the the resistor that came with it.

Matthew Joseph Payne

Do you have and are you handy with a multimeter? It would be most useful to measure the voltage that's getting to your cart.

Here's a silly thing - have you tried fresh batteries in both 'boys?

Sweeeeeeden

How does it feel when you insert the EMS cartridge on one 'boy or the other? Does one feel like a slightly snugger fit than the other?

matt's mind

is the nintendo logo scrolling at least?  or, is it a black bar?  or, absolutely nothing?  or a scrambled logo?

make sure the EMS PCB is seated ok in its black case.  EMS double-sided tapes the backs, but occasionally they slide a little bit making good contact improbable...

it sounds like an issue where its not making good contact.  try tightening/loosening the gameboy's case a tiny tiny bit.  one of these may bring the contacts together a little more snuggly.  this dimension is the only change i can think would make a difference with a backlight installed...

and, to reiterate what kineticturtle asks, "have you tried fresh batteries?"

I am not sure if this would make a difference or not but I do use rechargeable batteries. I woke up this morning and yet it again it would play both carts. Maybe the rechargeable batteries could be the issue?

here is what loads after a little bit of using it:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us