Bronx, NY

5. Note! - axon music
4. Trash80 - Hologram
3. paza - ninjani diskus
2. 2NRO8OT- Ugol Padeniya
1. Divag - The Lost Floppy

Hon. Mentions: glomag - DaMaGe; Jellica - With Love From Grandma; Cheap Dinosaurs - S/T; C-Jeff - Electric

buffalo, NY

1. Virt - FX3
2. Disasterpeace - Atebite and the Warring Nations
3. George and Jonathan - The Best Music
4. Shnabubula - Game Genie
5.  Ubiktune compo - Up

Russia

1. Virt - FX3
2. Shnabubula - Game Genie
3. Various Artists - Kind of Bloop
4. Jay Tholen - Control Me
5. Disasterpeace - Rise of the Obsidian Interstellar

Matthew Joseph Payne

in no particular order

Jay Tholen - Control Me
little-scale and Poppi Dosier - Antia
The J. Arthur Keenes Band - Pamplemousse
Awkward Terrible - I Feel Asleep
Mr. Spastic - Lucid

Seems I like my chip with a side of vocals.

1. little-scale - Dynasty
2. Mobb Beep - Modificeret
3. Stay Ali - Vati Vati EP
4. Misfitchris - Data Tides
5. Ten and Tracer - Dark Before Dawn

Khonnor - Lost Pets should get a mention in here somewhere too.

Joliette, QC, Canada
DaPantz wrote:

5. Note! - axon music
4. Trash80 - Hologram
3. paza - ninjani diskus
2. 2NRO8OT- Ugol Padeniya
1. Divag - The Lost Floppy

Hon. Mentions: glomag - DaMaGe; Jellica - With Love From Grandma; Cheap Dinosaurs - S/T; C-Jeff - Electric

Ninjani Diskus and DaMaGe are awesome !!! big_smile

Ciudad de méxico, MX

5. A.M.U - diamond
4. A.M.U - diamond
3. A.M.U - diamond
2. A.M.U - diamond
1. A.M.U - diamond

Los Angeles
Analog wrote:

5. A.M.U - diamond
4. A.M.U - diamond
3. A.M.U - diamond
2. A.M.U - diamond
1. A.M.U - diamond

This. Though I'd probably fit 4mat decades in there somewhere.

Analog wrote:

5. A.M.U - diamond
4. A.M.U - diamond
3. A.M.U - diamond
2. A.M.U - diamond
1. A.M.U - diamond

pretty much, yeah

Philly, PA, USA
Analog wrote:

5. A.M.U - diamond
4. A.M.U - diamond
3. A.M.U - diamond
2. A.M.U - diamond
1. A.M.U - diamond

but which release version?
I'd probably place the original above the 8bp version, though it's a tough call..

I've excluded EPs, demos and VGM - I could bore you for even longer...

1. Family Genesis by YMCK (Avex Trax)
YMCK perfect their songwriting on this album, while their attention to detail is utterly charming.  The choir of chipmusicians (check the credits) on 8番目の虹, and the ambitious closer, フィナーレ ~Welcome to the 8bit world~, are just two moments that demonstrate what a labour of love Family Genesis is. 

2. Maxi German Rave Blast Hits 3 by Bodenstandig 2000 (Rephlex)
Not only pioneering – Ataris on Rephlex! – this is a fantastically creative paean to computer culture backed up by strong songs and serious tracker skills. No other release captures the DIY atmosphere of the early Micromusic scene as well as this.

3.Decades by 4mat (self-released)
There are other comparable .mod/.it/.xm/etc albums, but this wins out with its broad range of styles, all consistently well executed. There are memorable melodies (Decades), slamming grooves (Latin EQ) and slick combinations of the two (1989).

4. Eclipse of Mars by Soundburst (self-released)
An underrated album to say the least - the only time I’ve seen this mentioned is in a VORC awards post back in the day. Using OctaMED, Soundburst summons the spirit of Jun Ishikawa or Konami’s sound team circa Pop ‘n Twinbee, with a seemingly effortless knack for composition.

5. Cryptoburners by Team Doyobi (Skam)
Few chipmusic artists push the envelope of their respective platform as far as Team Doyobi. Their deconstructed glitch funk has little in common with conventional ‘chiptunes’, yet is clearly an antecedent for lo-fi movements that followed like Skweee (listen to the bass of Nomen Lumi).

Last edited by Stevens (Oct 29, 2011 11:10 am)

Westfield, NJ

this is actually tough because most of what I have is EPs, not albums. So let's talk albums:

1. Cheap Dinosaurs
2. OK Ikumi - IV/XI
3. 4mat - Decades
4. 4mat - Surrender
5. ??? - Wall You Need Is Love

Honorable Mentions: MisfitChris - Famicom Sessions, freezedream - Today

If this were to include EPs it would be a different list smile

Last edited by Decktonic (Oct 26, 2011 1:15 pm)

Madison, Alabama

This is a digression, but I would almost argue that in the chip world an EP IS an album.  4, 5, and 6 songs seems to be the norm for a lot of (really good) releases.  I wouldn't mind seeing the whole music biz move towards concise, quality EPs.  A tight, well-sequenced five-song set is really appealing to me. 

Just sayin'.

buffalo, NY

I actually have the opposite opinion.  I would prefer more full length albums.  EPs make more sense when you have a full band, and recording is a week/month(s) long process just to get 30 minutes.  Chip musicians can record almost instantaneously after composing, so the pure volume of releases is a little much. 

I also just prefer longer albums

Westfield, NJ
roboctopus wrote:

This is a digression, but I would almost argue that in the chip world an EP IS an album.  4, 5, and 6 songs seems to be the norm for a lot of (really good) releases.  I wouldn't mind seeing the whole music biz move towards concise, quality EPs.  A tight, well-sequenced five-song set is really appealing to me. 

Just sayin'.

I hear that, but it would be an offense to the albums mentioned in my list to lump them in with EPs. There's a lot of content on them. It's hard to do a whole album, and to make every song on that album worth hearing, but when done right, it deserves a lot of credit.

Toronto Area, Canada

ummmm....
I don't know any album names, so I'll just list my 5 Fav artists.

Ultrasyd
Fatal Snipe
BEASTMODE
FantomenK
Bit Shifter

If u've never heard of Fatal Snipe search him up! Amazing.