Texas

For what it's worth, I went ahead and gave one of my DMG-001's (the noisest one) a cap kit and, to my surprise, it didn't seem to improve things music. That said, I listened to your recording and I don't hear anything abnormal except that noisy bit right before the square. I think that might not be much to worry about.

By contrast, my GameBoy emits a high pitched whine that is independent of the volume knob and it drives me nuts! My other DMG has that same high pitched noise but it's much much quieter. It's a bummer since that's also my GB with the backlight mod.

In any case, I would try yours out with LSDJ, which has an option to control power save mode and can give you a better idea of how noisy things are. In lieu of that, if you have a game that has spare music or music at a lower volume, you can better judge things.

Gosford, Australia
m00dawg wrote:

By contrast, my GameBoy emits a high pitched whine that is independent of the volume knob and it drives me nuts! My other DMG has that same high pitched noise but it's much much quieter.

Is the whine at around 9250Hz? Both of mine and my gf's emit the same pitch, I think it's normal to be there in some degree, and it's such a specific frequency that you can take it out of recordings with a parametric EQ and not affect anything else. Dunno how you'd fix it in a live situation though sad