Wheeling, WV

I don't understand how somebody in good conscience can do modding services without knowing how to solder properly. In my opinion, if you use the right stuff and know how to solder properly, there should be zero complaints or rate of failure, and I've heard and experienced numerous from different sources. I won't name names, but I've fixed a number of Game Boys that friends and acquaintances have given me from one very well known modder that I am honestly appalled with.

If you do modding services, please do everybody a favor, stop it until you follow these rules. These should be understood, but unfortunately, they aren't:

Use a solder station with temp control. Don't don't don't use those shitty irons that plug right in the wall. Even some higher-end models plug right in the wall, but I can't trust them.

Stop using thick solder. This, I think, is the number one reason for sloppy soldering. Honestly, when it comes to soldering, less is more. With thinner solder, you have much more control and are less likely to fuck up.

Stop using those cone shaped or pencil tips. Just stop it. Chisel tips, please. Trust me on this one.

Stop using solid core wire. SHOULD I EVEN HAVE TO SAY THIS? I kid you not, I have received Game Boys with solid wire on the mods. If you can't guess, the wire broke off the jack almost immediately upon my inspection.

I know you might say "I use _____, ______, and blank, and I have no problems." I don't care how well the few of you do with unsatisfactory tools. If you are doing modding services for money, you are a professional. Use professional grade stuff.

Second, once you stop using crappy stuff, you might notice how incredibly your soldering has improved. The fact is though that some of these atrocities I've seen may be from people who have all of the right stuff. So, learn how to solder properly, and inspect your work. If you have the right tools and know how to solder properly, it's actually difficult to do a bad solder job. I've tried to show students in a workshop examples of soldering poorly, and it was tough for me to do it without being overly exaggerating. This means that a good amount of mods I've seen have been made by people who don't know how to solder.

A final note about some of these modders who try to defend themselves. "All of my mods work." JUST BECAUSE IT USUALLY WORKS DOESN'T MEAN IT'S PROPER!!! Your crappy job is bound to fail in due time, and you probably won't hear about it. The original poster had SIX Game Boys die on him. I admit, some of that may be inherently on the machine, but some of that is also on you.

Have some ethics and don't charge people unless you are giving them a professional job. If I have to fix one more Game Boy that looks like it was modded in a kitchen by a seven-year-old Korean assembler, I'm going to blow.

Or just keep doing what you're doing, since your incompetence is making me easy money.

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

Hey man, relax.

Chip is fun, DIY and (at least where I am) chill.

So much of what you said was super constructive. Sadly this rant, however helpful is actually not easy to find for people who do want to get better. As you're surely aware, a lack of education on this front makes it hard for people.

Got any tutes on the correct tools for people to learn how to do stuff themselves? That's what the community needs more of. Then the chump modders have no business in the first place.

matt's mind

http://store.curiousinventor.com/guides/How_to_Solder

TSSBAY01

If you are doing modding services for money, you are a professional

Here's my opinion on a few things.

hotmessization wrote:

Use a solder station with temp control. Don't don't don't use those shitty irons that plug right in the wall. Even some higher-end models plug right in the wall, but I can't trust them.

You can get by quite easily with a single watt iron for gameboy modding. Mine is variable wattage, but I can't say I change it much unless I'm soldering to the battery terminals or to the grounding tabs.

hotmessization wrote:

Stop using thick solder. This, I think, is the number one reason for sloppy soldering. Honestly, when it comes to soldering, less is more. With thinner solder, you have much more control and are less likely to fuck up.

I wouldn't say this is the number one reason for sloppy soldering. The number one reason has to just be inexperience. You can have a $1000 soldering iron, and have cold solder joints if you don't know how to use it. Some people don't take a couple minutes to google "how to solder" and know that you're not supposed to just gunk up solder on the tip and carry it over to where you're soldering. You'd be surprised how many people do this. Openly in tutorial videos, I might add.

hotmessization wrote:

Stop using solid core wire. SHOULD I EVEN HAVE TO SAY THIS? I kid you not, I have received Game Boys with solid wire on the mods. If you can't guess, the wire broke off the jack almost immediately upon my inspection.

I know many experienced modders that use solidcore wire in their mods. Benheck (who I've often heard referred to as the "king of modding") uses it for his portables. NeX uses it for his internal MIDI mods, and that's just a couple examples.

Again, this isn't so much about what you're using, but how you use it. If you use solidcore wire and properly secure the connections with shrink tubing, you could have a mod that lasts a lifetime. Granted, it is better to use stranded wire and I always do, but that doesn't mean you can't make a quality mod with solidcore wire.

This thread got a little off topic. Maybe we should make a new thread and compile a list of avoidable modding mistakes.

Last edited by Apeshit (Nov 15, 2011 4:21 am)

BOSTON

thanks for the well-informed input hotmess and apeshit, i think this is pretty helpful on both sides. i havent really heard much critique about modders / techniques, which is one of the reasons i started this thread i suppose. and mess is totally right; if im spending $100+ per boy for relatively simple mods, they should be rock solid. ive definitely been of the "hey its DIY" attitude, a la 10k, and dont mind the occasional meltdown, but thinking about it... ive spent well over $600 on dead gameboys alone. put that way, it fucking sucks.

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

Nailed it.

TSSBAY01

you guys that spend money on mods or custom gameboys are weird

it all but ruins the entire point in using a piece of shit, goofy sounding antiquated piece of hardware to make music. simple as that. all modding has done is to make stock gameboys harder and harder to find. put a big spoiler on a ford taurus stationwagon and its the same damn thing to me.

Gosford, Australia
tempsoundsolutions wrote:

all modding has done is to make stock gameboys harder and harder to find.

Backlights are fantastic and way better than worm lights and fat clip on lights imo.

Jump on ebay right now and you'll find that there's still heaps of stock gameboys. It's not a big deal, man!

TSSBAY01

'jump on ebay'...mmk

San Angelo, TX

I'm gonna recommend either greightbit or NeX.
If your looking for a good solid, well soldered GB then Greightbit.
BUt if your looking for the... and i mean THE FUCKING ZAZZ, then prolly Nex! hes pretty creative!

Gosford, Australia

'jump on ebay'...mmk

ebay not good enough for you? You're cool!

Tacoma WA

i will offer my skills of tossing your gameboy around with my 19 month old son.

he found one of my spares laying around and seems to really enjoy doing that.

portland

Hit me up if you want some GB action. I would be willing to build one for you...

portland
Screamforme99 wrote:

I'm gonna recommend either greightbit or NeX.
If your looking for a good solid, well soldered GB then Greightbit.
BUt if your looking for the... and i mean THE FUCKING ZAZZ, then prolly Nex! hes pretty creative!

totes agree.

TSSBAY01
Victory Road wrote:

'jump on ebay'...mmk

ebay not good enough for you? You're cool!

you're missing the point. but im not going to even get into it with an ebay fanboy.