Tokyo, Japan

I am moving a track of mine from LSDJ to Renoise and I must confess to being utterly baffled by the different terminology for the groove settings. The song in question in LSDJ has a groove of:

00 8 66%
01 4

Renoise groove settings are expressed using percentages per beat (http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Song_ … e_Settings) which I just about understand but I honestly don't know how to "translate" my LSDJ groove to renoise. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sweden

8/((8 + 4)/2)-1 = 33%

I think that's it! More generally lsdj1/((lsdj1 + lsdj2)/2)-1 = renoise groove

In case you don't have LSDJ grooves that average to 6, though, the tempo will be off, but the groove relationship should come out right regardless.

Last edited by boomlinde (Nov 22, 2011 3:47 pm)

Unsubscribe

Lsdj has a percentage meter too, looks like renoise wroks the same way. So a 7/5 groove puts it at 58%, have you tried setting the same groove in renoise? I think it would work.

If not maybe you should change the TICKS PER LINE in renoise to be 6, or whatever your groove is set to in lsdj.

Wellington, New Zealand

on the master channel play around with the bpm command
have something like
F080
-
F060
-
F080
going throughout the song. Then you can change the numbers if  you want

Sweeeeeeden

Renoise's groove setting is slightly different and slightly less powerful than LSDj's. And also mislabeled as far as I can tell.
Where it says 1&2, it should really say 2&3.
Where it says 2&3, it should really say 4&5.
And 3&4, the last slider, should really be called 6&7.
I should actually file a bug report about this.

What they do is to control the shuffle between a pair of steps in the sequencer. This is why I believe they are mislabeled. What's more, Renoise's groove function can only affect the odd (i.e. second) step of the selected pair by delaying it. You can't do inverse shuffle like in LSDj, where the second step is played earlier than it normally would have been. Also, this means that you can't do shuffle over multiple steps, say you have notes on steps 0, 2, 4 and 6. No way to do it using the groove function, whereas LSDj could do it with something like a 7/7, 5/5 groove or whatever. (See my article on ticks and grooves in LSDj) Or put differently, Renoise can only swing 16th notes or whatever your LPB setting dictates that the smallest interval is.

What this translates to is that an LSDj groove can be translated to a Renoise groove if...
1) the LSDj groove has multiple pairs, each step must be equally long if you want to be able to to translate it precisely. 7/7, 5/5 (used for 1/8 note swing) wouldn't work since one pair is 14 ticks long and the other is 10 ticks long.
2) the LSDj swing value is >=50%.

If those conditions are true, you can take the percentage in LSDj and calculate the corresponding Renoise groove with the formula Renoise_groove=(LSDj_groove-50)*2. In other words, you take the 50%-100% range and scale it to the full 0%-100% range, if that makes sense.

LSDj's grooves are variable length, but Renoise has a fixed length of 4 groove patterns, or 8 sequencer steps, so if your LSDj groove is only two steps, you need to repeat it across all 4 sliders. By default, the groove presets will contain progressive settings for all the 4 sliders. 1=all 0%, 6=all 50% and 10=all 90%.

So for example, to convert the simple LSDj groove 8/4, you first look what the percentage in LSDj is, which is 66%. 66-50=16; 2*16=32. So you need to change all of Renoise's sliders to 32%. You might that 30% is close enough and just click the default preset 4.

Hope I made sense for once. wink

Unsubscribe

You rock.

Tokyo, Japan

Nitro, I TOTALLY spaced out and didn't notice your reply to this, very very helpful. Thanks very much.

nitro2k01 wrote:

Renoise's groove setting is slightly different and slightly less powerful than LSDj's. And also mislabeled as far as I can tell.

Yeah, I must admit, I found it very confusing, I assumed it was me not understanding it properly. Thanks a great deal for clearing that up and thanks also to boomlinde!