Toronto
Apeshit wrote:

It actually came with two boxed pokemon games. Both are in Japanese, so I can't test how well they work too easily.

One cartridge shell is warped. They both say "Nintendo Gameboy" on them which is somewhat uncommon for a pirate. (keyword: somewhat). The two pieces of the shell are different colors, which is neat. The front is a blue-ish purple, and the back is grey, and vice versa on the other one.

Those actually might be legit, then. The real Japanese Pokémon G/S carts were exactly like you said.

I have a pirated copy of Crystal. HILARIOUS. (It's a cartridge copy of the one floating around the internet)

Nah, they're not genuine. Aside from the poorly placed label, they have epoxy mounted chips (as seen in the first post) and completely different hardware than authentic carts. Also no Nintendo logos on the PCB and a philips head screw instead of a security screw.

Toronto
Apeshit wrote:

Nah, they're not genuine. Aside from the poorly placed label, they have epoxy mounted chips (as seen in the first post) and completely different hardware than authentic carts. Also no Nintendo logos on the PCB and a philips head screw instead of a security screw.

Ahh yeah. Now that I go back and look at them, they are.

Odd that they'd put effort into making the carts the dual colours instead of not swapping halves and all, or putting effort into making them half-decent fakes. tongue

Cool Game Boy clone, though. I still like that sideways one, but the fact that this one comes in so many colours is pretty awesome.

Sweeeeeeden

Kitsch, if you don't have time to run the tests, maybe donate a flashcart to Apeshit for science, or if either one of you dare, send me the unit for testing and a teardown with hi-res photos.

QueenOfTulips wrote:

Cool Game Boy clone, though. I still like that sideways one, but the fact that this one comes in so many colours is pretty awesome.

I want that one! I heard it doesn't play real gameboy games though. If that's true, I wouldn't really go out of my way to get one.

nitro2k01 wrote:

Kitsch, if you don't have time to run the tests, maybe donate a flashcart to Apeshit for science, or if either one of you dare, send me the unit for testing and a teardown with hi-res photos.

I bought a cart from Kitsch a couple days ago. Unsure if I can reflash it with my OS though. I guess we'll see.

As for a teardown...I may open it soon. I don't lack confidence by any means when it comes to disassembling stuff, but it might not be built to be disassembled. The ribbon cable could be glued in or something silly like that.

I am dying to see the insides, but it'd be an awfully expensive lab rat.

matt's mind

nitro2k01,  the results of the tests wink

i uploaded the savs here, they are named accordingly: http://space.kitsch-bent.com/clones/kf- … _tests.zip

my model is KF-2000, a yellow one not that it matters.  it runs the EMS cart and the random games I grabbed fine. 

instr_timing...        Passed

dmg_sound...       01:ok   02:ok   03:ok   04:ok   05:ok   06:ok   07:ok   08:ok   09:ok   10:01   11:ok   12:ok   Run failed tests individually for more details.   Failed #10

dmg_sound_2...  (exactly the same as dmg_sound)

oam_bug...           01:ok   02:ok   03:ok   04:ok   05:ok   06:ok   07:ok   08:ok   Passed

oam_bug_2...      (exactly the same as oam_bug)

mem_timing...     01:ok   02:ok   03:ok   Passed all tests

mem_timing_2...(same as mem_timing, except it only says "Passed" after the numbers)

playback of some sav files in LSDJ is pretty nuts.  its running fast, the sounds are a bit crunchy.  nothing sounds really 'bad,' or extremely different, more like its been bitcrushed...

matt's mind

matt's mind

(notice the slight differences in the screen protector, i thought it was a replacement at first on mine, but its a little different than the nintendo-made ones)

and, to address something brought up before (or, to clarify i guess):  the start/select is pretty much a rocker switch approach, two separate buttons next to each other, you can move your thumb freely between them, good tactile feeling.  not a rocker because they are two independent parts, but it feels that way during usage.

matt's mind

found this pic, alternate color.