Philly, PA, USA

Silence

I have started doing some experiments using nanoloop 2.5 and software effects to create ambient, noise, or drone compositions. I'll be uploading them to Soundcloud as along as I have room. Right now there are two tracks totaling 49 minutes 39 seconds, one of which is available for download. I am interested to hear your thoughts.

Godzilladelph

nice! i can dig it

This is your jam. I LOVE these. Atmospheric and terrifying. One thing, I heard a bit of clipping in Growth//Contraction but not in Silence/Noise!

I really want you to show me how you do these sometime.

Philly, PA, USA

I'm fairly certain that's just an overdrive effect, but i forget what I used like, half an hour after i've done it, so I'll have to go back and check.

And yeah dude, we'll have a thorough chill/noise sesh. I'm gonna make another one now I think.

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩

interesting stuff. luv the atmosphere on growth//contraction

This is really excellent.

Sydney, NSW

Man, this is all so great!
I need to know how to do this, it looks really fun. I've experimented with Shitwave, but that's about it.

Godzilladelph

@Pixls If you're going to use overdrive and it's going to clip, i recommend you throw a limiter on the end of the effects chain. You'll still get that nice distorted sound, but without the nastiness of digital distortion fucking up the waveform/sound pressure level.

Listening now, while I do some 3d modelling wink

Last edited by SKGB (Nov 24, 2011 10:23 pm)

Godzilladelph

Yo... THIS. is that SHIT.
Def wanna hear more sounds like these from you!

Philly, PA, USA

Thanks guys! I've just uploaded another one, shorter and more of a jam I suppose, but still kind of ambient.

@chainsaw it's actually a really simple setup, just nanoloop (with some things panned one way and some the other) --> two audio tracks in ableton and then use ableton's built in effects there in whatever ways, sometimes live manipulation of effects, sometimes just manipulating nanoloop. or both. I've never touched shitwave so :\
@SKGB yeah no I know, there is a limiter, apparently that's just what that overdrive sounds like? whateverrrrrr

Sydney, NSW
pixls wrote:

@chainsaw it's actually a really simple setup, just nanoloop (with some things panned one way and some the other) --> two audio tracks in ableton and then use ableton's built in effects there in whatever ways, sometimes live manipulation of effects, sometimes just manipulating nanoloop. or both. I've never touched shitwave so :\

Yeah, seems simple enough; that's what I've been doing with my last two experimental droney-noise pieces.
I just can't seem to get a good sound. Maybe I'm not choosing the right Fx? Maybe I'm not starting out with the right sounds?
It's all trial and error anyway, though, haha tongue

You've inspired me a lot! I'll also have to listen to that other jam you uploaded and see if I can get any more ideas from that.

Keep it up!

pixls wrote:

yeah no I know, there is a limiter, apparently that's just what that overdrive sounds like? whateverrrrrr

Technically yes, that is what overdrive usually sounds like, and that's what it does.
But you can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs; the overdrive pedal/VST drives the audio over its limit, which gives us our lovely clipping!
Like SKGB said, throwing in a limiter after the distortion will limit the audio from reaching the volume at which it starts clipping and distorting, while still keeping a clean distorted effect. It's up the he producer to add the limiter to stop the speakers from crackling and eventually breaking.

Really, it makes a whole world of difference, and your listeners and their still-functioning headphones will thank you. smile

Sorry for the long drawn-out response. Some of my info mightn't be right, but it is to my knowledge tongue

Last edited by Chainsaw Police (Nov 25, 2011 5:00 am)

Philly, PA, USA

O....k..... well yeah definitely do some things, I'm basically just using various delays, filters, overdrives, and resonators, all stock effects with ableton.

Godzilladelph

btw, I stand corrected, after listening to the track (and seeing the waveform obv) the clipping was not from the track being overdriven. Btw, I kinda liked it. Fuck proper mixing, make noise

Yeah it's not clipping, i just tried the stock overdrive with ableton too just now. I guess I would like it I guess more if it was just for a section or two, COMPOSITIONAL DYNAMIC CONTRAST. Otherwise I still heart these jams

Philly, PA, USA

OK WELL WHATEVER MAN heart

Philly, PA, USA

I've uploaded another one, I think this might be the last for the set, as I'm running out of space on soundcloud.