Sydney, Australia

Hey guys, I'm planning to get a usb floppy drive soon which will solve this issue, but in the meantime could anyone explain how to transfer files from PC to ST with a null modem serial cable? I have one which goes from serial to USB. I seem to have Zmodem installed on the ST but I'm not sure if this only works with Linux. If it works with windows could anyone direct me to the pc software needed to make the connection, or any better solutions? Cheers.

Hi.
I have an Atari ST but i have never try,
but I would suggest you to ask here.
http://www.atari-forum.com/index.php

BR.
Peter

New York City

I'd save myself a load of trouble and just GET the USB disk drive, I got one from Dealextreme and it works really well.

However if you are masochist, get a terminal software for your PC and one for your Atari ST and by means of a null-modem serial cable you can transfer files between each other using AT commands.
Zmodem is just a terminal transfer protocol, not a terminal program, so maybe you are missing a part or are not nuderstanding something of what you have in your ST. I am afraid the USB to Serial thing might just not work in this case, though, those adapters usually fail.

Vicious wrote:

Hey guys, I'm planning to get a usb floppy drive soon which will solve this issue, but in the meantime could anyone explain how to transfer files from PC to ST with a null modem serial cable? I have one which goes from serial to USB. I seem to have Zmodem installed on the ST but I'm not sure if this only works with Linux. If it works with windows could anyone direct me to the pc software needed to make the connection, or any better solutions? Cheers.

Use Ghostlink. With that you can access the PCs Harddisk as a virtual disk from the atari side. was working nicely until XP no idea about newer ones.
CON: Demo version does not allow to execute programs from the virtual disk, you have to copy them to a local drive before.

Holland

It's a pain. Embrace the fact that your USB floppy drive can read Atari ST disks and wait in patience. It's worth it.

Unsubscribe

I sprung for the satandisk with a dos formatted partition, will let you know how it works.

New York City

Satandisk is awesome, you can't go wrong with that.

Groningen, The Netherlands

I would wait for the usb floppydrive. Cable transfers are a bitch.
Although only did that on the amiga 500. And it sucks.

Fr

cerror +1

Joliette, QC, Canada
akira^8GB wrote:

Satandisk is awesome, you can't go wrong with that.

Yeah Satandisk and Ultrasatan are awesome !!! Only thing I hate is, if you want a TOSDOS partition you need to buy HDDriver or try to find a sd image on the internet !

New York City
XyNo wrote:

if you want a TOSDOS partition you need to buy HDDriver

Nothing wrong with buying something my friend wink

Joliette, QC, Canada
akira^8GB wrote:
XyNo wrote:

if you want a TOSDOS partition you need to buy HDDriver

Yeah I know, but buying a 60$ software if you want to use something you just bought 150$ is a little bit fucked up imo !!!

New York City
XyNo wrote:
akira^8GB wrote:

Yeah I know, but buying a 60$ software if you want to use something you just bought 150$ is a little bit fucked up imo !!!

Erm, no, it isn't, if you want to use that shit old computer of yours with modern solutions big_smile

You can buy an Amiga 1200 for 30, 40 pound, but the accelerator alone will cost you 3/400 uk pounds, and if you want a scandoubler to connect it to a modern monitor, that's another 120/150 uk pounds.

The 1541u-II is 100 something euros...

And so on.

Joliette, QC, Canada
akira^8GB wrote:
XyNo wrote:

Erm, no, it isn't, if you want to use that shit old computer of yours with modern solutions big_smile

You can buy an Amiga 1200 for 30, 40 pound, but the accelerator alone will cost you 3/400 uk pounds, and if you want a scandoubler to connect it to a modern monitor, that's another 120/150 uk pounds.

The 1541u-II is 100 something euros...

And so on.

You got a point man ! ...but imo satan makers/sellers should say in their page that you need to pay for a software or throw some sd card images !!!
btw ouch...amigas are so expensive !!! XD

New York City

Any old computer, if you want to interface it with modern technology, will end up in costing you a bunch which of course will far exceed the price of the computer itself. Look at all the game boys too, with paint and light mods and shit, plus a MIDI interface, and you have to buy software... they are expensive too, for something you can score for 5 USD or free.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Mar 8, 2012 7:22 pm)