Philly, PA, USA

I think I probably wouldn't consider this spec work or anything, as he's basically coming to a community that often does things for free anyway and then offering a prize i suppose. However, I'm totally pleased that you altered the rules the way you did, and I will probably participate now. Especially since there's so much time big_smile

IL, US

there was slightly more time before since you didnt need to submit until march 1st

Los Angeles
OrionOrbit wrote:

In regards to the "dramatic and silly statement", I think you misunderstood. How often do you hold a contest to pick a doctor? Or a lawyer? The thought of holding a contest to pick a doctor or a lawyer should be equally as ridiculous as picking a designer but sadly its not.

Designers are not lawyers or doctors. You do not need to go to school to become a talented or a decent designer- Trust me, school or no school, some designers just suck, education is irreverent.  Also peoples lives are not at risk. (most of the time)

Furthermore this isn't spec work to me. Even the $100 prize is well under any design rate I would charge. When I think of spec work I think of the movie industry where they end up offering more money and continued work at industry rates for the winner, but then also turn around and use some of the submitted "loser" work for whatever they see fit. It's very manipulative.

Personally I see it as a opportunity for a younger or less experienced user to try and make a cool t-shirt/logo design. No harm in that I think- and given most of us do stuff for free for each other in this scene I see no faul intention on egr's part.

No offense, just throwing in my 2 cents... for a cash prize.

Abandoned on Fire

Congratulations trash80!  Your opinion has been chosen as one of the 3 finalist opinions.  Please begin concept work for your final opinion submission.
Good luck!  wink

Last edited by egr (Dec 1, 2011 4:33 pm)

PDX

@trash80: Not sure where or when I said that designers were doctors and/or lawyers. I'm well aware of the wild fluctuation in talent with designers regardless of formal education. I was just making a comparison to prove a point. Exaggerated? Perhaps. Design, medicine and law are all professions. And of those 3 there only seems to be contests for design.
But yeah, none taken and I agree with everything you said.

Sydney, NSW

Oh man, now that Kool Skull's in, I have no chance.

I'm gonna give it a shot either way!

Sydney, NSW

Wait, is this still open...?

Abandoned on Fire
Chainsaw Police wrote:

Wait, is this still open...?

Anybody can send examples of their work or "concept art" or, hell, even finished pieces to [email protected] until Feb 1, 2012.  After that I'll pick 3 finalists and then a winner on April 1, 2012.

New York City

I recently got this in an Amiga package I bought, perhaps it helps out. It's a differenbt take of the image as appeared in a sample catalog from the same people of Stereo Master:

Abandoned on Fire
akira^8GB wrote:

I recently got this in an Amiga package I bought, perhaps it helps out. It's a differenbt take of the image as appeared in a sample catalog from the same people of Stereo Master:

Interesting!

Abandoned on Fire

ONE WEEK LEFT TO GET YOUR NAME IN!!  SEE FIRST POST FOR ALL THE DETAILS!!

Abandoned on Fire

UPDATE 2/1/12:  FINALISTS HAVE BEEN CHOSEN!
GO HERE TO SEE SOME EARLY CONCEPT ART:  http://datathrash.tumblr.com/post/16898 … irt-design

i really want to enter,can i be wildcard?

Abandoned on Fire
shrpnup wrote:

Sorry, finalists already picked.

egr wrote:
shrpnup wrote:

Sorry, finalists already picked.

too late doing it anyways

Sydney AUS

5. Please 5.