Cleveland, OH

So, today I got some samples from Kitsch-bent.com and decided to give them a
test run.

The RGB 2.0 is a huge upgrade from my already favorite backlight kit.

The resistors are now BUILT IN!
This saves a lot of room as well as time for people like me who install many in one sitting.

The wires are now color coded(red, green, blue, white).
This means no more trying to figure out which wire is which once you have it placed under your LCD.

Now the polarizer and diffusion films are BUILT IN!
No more trying to make sure that all your films line up correctly(and your panel will be very clean now that are there aren't so many layers for dust to get trapped between. It still comes with a protective sheet you peel off before installation).

The panel is also just a touch thinner.
This makes the LCD so close to level with the top of the plastic frame meaning no more worries about over tightening your LCD board and getting hot/dark spots from the pressure points.

Only cons I have which are very slight are:
This panel seems to be smaller than the first RGB. So you have to make sure it is dead centered under your LCD(I would bet it fits perfectly into the plastic frame without cutting it. Mine was already cut so IDK).

The polarizer, like I said is built in. While this saves time and makes everything cleaner it would be nice to be able to change it. But this will be fine for people who may only be buying one at a time knowing exactly what they want out of it.
It also seems like you may be able to peel it off yourself and replace it if you really wanted to(wouldn't recommend it though).

Red and blue seem to be a little bit dimmer than green but the contrast and color mix seems to be right up with the quality if the first of RGB lights. Therefor, I'm not disappointed.

Over all I've very pleased with these! They're going to save me(and possibly you?) a lot of time in the long run and should be available any day now!

Now on to the next exciting event!
BRAND NEW CUSTOM START/SELECT BUTTONS!
I've been wanting to get something like this for awhile!
When I got them I asked what other colors besides clearish would be available.
He then informed me that this was not the point.
The point is that they back be ILLUMINATED!
As soon as I read this I opened the Game Boy up(that I had just finished installing the new RGB in) and soldered up some LEDs.

This color is actually electric bright as the sun blue.
Unfortunately I don't have a camera that is good with these dark shots or up close shots.
I just used some regular 3mm blue LEDs. You could use any color you wanted! Even the ones right out of your Game Boys!(but you need two of them)
These buttons should be available any day now and I will of course be happy to add this mod to my list of services!
You can see the hot spots above the buttons. This will be prevented next time by some black electrical tape!

Now as if this wasn't awesome enough. When I freaked out in excitement over backlighting my S/S buttons, Matt had this to say.. "if you think those are cool, just wait...."

MORE PICTARS!!!

Again, I apologize for the terrible quality of these pictures.
And they are not photoshopped!

-justinthursday
http://thursdaycustoms.com

buffalo, NY

thats pretty sexy

Those start/select buttons are niiice...

...Kitsch, where are my samples? tongue

justinthursday wrote:

The polarizer, like I said is built in. While this saves time and makes everything cleaner it would be nice to be able to change it. But this will be fine for people who may only be buying one at a time knowing exactly what they want out of it.
It also seems like you may be able to peel it off yourself and replace it if you really wanted to(wouldn't recommend it though).

Peeling it off won't harm the panel if you absolutely need to remove it.

2x2" polarized film is too big, and the old style that Kitsch used is a good shape/size, but you can't change the inversion post-purchase. So really nothing has changed, there's just a little bit of adhesive keeping the polarized film on this time.

Cleveland, OH
Apeshit wrote:

Those start/select buttons are niiice...

...Kitsch, where are my samples? tongue

justinthursday wrote:

Peeling it off won't harm the panel if you absolutely need to remove it.

2x2" polarized film is too big, and the old style that Kitsch used is a good shape/size, but you can't change the inversion post-purchase. So really nothing has changed, there's just a little bit of adhesive keeping the polarized film on this time.

Pretty much what I was thinking. Good to know I can try it in a pinch.

Matthew Joseph Payne

Nice to know someone is finally molding start/select buttons! That being said, them lighting up is cool but a bit garish unless all the buttons light up. Matt, will we be seeing some normal colors too some day? smile

matt's mind

some day, probably.  not the first thing on the list though...

Matthew Joseph Payne

fair enough - excited to see them regardless! smile

Gosford, Australia
kineticturtle wrote:

That being said, them lighting up is cool but a bit garish unless all the buttons light up

this. looking forward to unlit custom S/S buttons though! i'm guessing they're more difficult and expensive to produce than the custom plastic buttons?

Cleveland, OH
kineticturtle wrote:

Nice to know someone is finally molding start/select buttons! That being said, them lighting up is cool but a bit garish unless all the buttons light up. Matt, will we be seeing some normal colors too some day? smile

Never bothered to to backlit buttons before. These were a surprise and Matt suggested I do this.
I may do the rest of the buttons but they will never look as cool as these unless I sand them to make them look frosted or something.
The silicone just gives the best light distribution. hard to beat with plastic buttons.

Last edited by thursdaycustoms (Nov 9, 2011 6:58 am)

Ciudad de méxico, MX

Kitsch, you're the Christian Dior of gameboy fashion.

matt's mind

yes, soooo much more difficult and expensive.  these took three revisions to the mould for example, and the cost of raw materials is surprisingly different... 

but fun to do wink

Got mine today.

Totally awesome.

Last edited by Apeshit (Nov 29, 2011 1:41 am)

México, DF.

DO WANT

Cleveland, OH
Apeshit wrote:

Got mine today.

Totally awesome.

Looks great but.. Where dem lights??? Na, I know it would look really weird in a clear shell.