Beverly Hills Michigan

I just bought a new dmg, how should I mod it? I'm thinking leave it unpainted with clear blue buttons, pro sound, and a blue backlight , what does everyone think?

Beverly Hills Michigan

Also should I have it inverted or not?

Wilmington,NC

Yup.

Taichung, Taiwan

Bivert/Backlight/Prosound

can't go wrong with this combo.

Last edited by katsumbhong (Dec 9, 2011 8:06 pm)

Beverly Hills Michigan

think I should leave the case as white, leave the original screen covor and use blue buttons and a blue backlight?

San Francisco

you could... leave it stock and just use the damn thing.

Beverly Hills Michigan
wedanced wrote:

ya, but whats the fun in that?

Abandoned on Fire
asneakyfatcat wrote:
wedanced wrote:

ya, but whats the fun in that?

:[

Lol, hey, doing mods are fun too. Don't hate!

Personally, the only things worth it are prosound and backlight. But if you want cool paint ideas I could come up with something for you.

Beverly Hills Michigan
Frostbyte wrote:

Lol, hey, doing mods are fun too. Don't hate!

Personally, the only things worth it are prosound and backlight. But if you want cool paint ideas I could come up with something for you.

for this one I don't think I'm going to paint the case, im just going to leave it as is

Sydney, NSW
Frostbyte wrote:

the only things worth it are prosound and backlight.

I never use my prosound out. It has clipping issues, and it's in fact quieter than the regular headphone out.

Backlights are the only useful mod IMO. everything else is just stupid and borderline useless.

Matthew Joseph Payne
Chainsaw Police wrote:

I never use my prosound out. It has clipping issues, and it's in fact quieter than the regular headphone out.

Something is wrong with it, or you are using it incorrectly.

matt's mind
Chainsaw Police wrote:

it will be quieter, much quieter, depending on the type of headphones you're using.  the prosound mod bypasses the headphone amp inside the dmg (DMG-AMP i think is the name printed on it), so if your headphones need some sort of boost it won't be there for them.  try a basic set of earbuds.  the point of the mod isn't to increase the volume, or the bass, or whatever.  the fundamental point of the mod is to bypass the amp circuitry and ditch some of the noise for better audio quality.  in doing this, you also bypass the amp for the headphones, as the noise is coming in through this part of the circuitry.  the solder points for the prosound mod are almost directly off the CPU itself, so a cleaner signal.

the clipping issue sounds like it may be a wrong installation or you've got a loop, but it may also be a result of the particular type of DMG revision you have.  there is a thread somewhere on this site about this, but the result of it all was finding out the the "B" version of the DMG-CPU on the PCB version 2 has issues in playback, notably on the wav channel.  (someone needs to confirm this though, entirely from foggy memory).  so, when you've got your gameboy open, look at the CPU chip and see if its a B.  you can remove the battery cover and look through the latch hole, the PCB version will be printed there.  DMG-CPU-02 is what you're looking for.  an 02 with a B may be part of the problem.

Matthew Joseph Payne

kitsch is much more helpful than I. wink

It honestly didn't occur to me that he could be trying to use the prosound out with headphones.

Taichung, Taiwan

Plug the prosound into a powered speaker unit.

Beverly Hills Michigan
katsumbhong wrote:

Plug the prosound into a powered speaker unit.

When I plug my prosound into my line in, it is much louder and cleaner than the headphone port, and the bass has a lot more depth to it