New York City
pixls wrote:
nitro2k01 wrote:

The Nanoloop cartridge has an extra EEPROM chip instead of SRAM. This means it needs no battery and that you have to save your song before turning the power off. The main advantage, to be honest, seems to be piracy protection. The demo ROM is actually the full version, only that it can't save unless it's running on the appropriate hardware.

also just not having a battery to worry about it nice.

But then it crashes and your work is gone.

Sweeeeeeden
akira^8GB wrote:

But then it crashes and your work is gone.

Hmm, does Nanoloop actually crash in data-destroying ways? It shouldn't be as susceptible as the SRAM used by LSDj. That has nothing to do with the battery, but the fact that the CPU has to execute a series of commands in order to access the EEPROM.

Milwaukee Area, WI
nitro2k01 wrote:

The Nanoloop cartridge has an extra EEPROM chip instead of SRAM. This means it needs no battery and that you have to save your song before turning the power off.

Why don't cart markers just use this design? Or are you not able to flash custom roms and savs?

uhajdafdfdfa

becasue the software has to be written to use that
and lsdj isnt

Sweeeeeeden
Moriokun wrote:
nitro2k01 wrote:

The Nanoloop cartridge has an extra EEPROM chip instead of SRAM. This means it needs no battery and that you have to save your song before turning the power off.

Why don't cart markers just use this design? Or are you not able to flash custom roms and savs?

LSDj expects to have at least 32 kB of external RAM mapped directly, for the current project. You might be able to make a design which has 32 kB RAM for this purpose which is not battery-supported, and then save projects to EEPROM like NL. But then you would always have to save before turning off, and people would be annoyed. Simply put, it's not how you'd want to do things.

Vancouver, Canada
nitro2k01 wrote:

But then you would always have to save before turning off, and people would be annoyed. Simply put, it's not how you'd want to do things.

[Edit: I assume you mean you'd have to manually save through LSDJ, not have the cart auto-save when you hit the power switch.]

Personally, I wouldn't have a huge issue with that - it's how every other piece of electronics works. You always have to save the files you're editing on your computer before you turn it off, or the song you're working on in DS10, or any game you're playing... I was really surprised when I first picked up LSDJ and found out I could just turn my gameboy off and not lose all my data. Now, I'm a real n00b when it comes to chipmusic, and I can see how a change would bother people who are more used to the current behaviour than it would bother me, but it does seem like saving before closing is the 'normal' way to do things. If it took a long time to save, it would be a pain I guess - I don't really know how these things work though, so I'm not clear on whether that would be the case.

Of course, not having to save is nicer, but it doesn't seem like a big enough drawback to avoid a design, if it would mean a more reliable cartridge. Although, there are other drawbacks to the EEPROM design as well -- shifting all these saves around sounds fairly kluge-y, and to my uneducated self, seems like a recipe for corrupting your files if anything goes wrong, as well as just taking up more space on the cart (since you need more memory chips). It also doesn't seem clear how changing to this design would make backing up any simpler, but again, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Anyhow, just my $0.02.

Last edited by nick (Dec 12, 2011 10:36 pm)

Milwaukee Area, WI

Seems like the problem isn't the cartridge designs, it's the lack of collaboration between LSDJ's software and the Cartridge maker.  Seems like LSDJ needs to be written specially for a certain cartridge, Not the cartridge trying to meet LSDJ.

Brooklyn NY US

Seems like the mountain should move to me.

EDIT: I'm being a dick, and plus the analogy doesn't really hold. But the point is that software being developed for existing, non-custom hardware is entirely reasonable.

Last edited by Bit Shifter (Dec 13, 2011 12:10 am)

Moriokun wrote:

Seems like the problem isn't the cartridge designs, it's the lack of collaboration between LSDJ's software and the Cartridge maker.  Seems like LSDJ needs to be written specially for a certain cartridge, Not the cartridge trying to meet LSDJ.

In no way, shape, or form is this true.

Vancouver, Canada
Moriokun wrote:

Well, LSDJ is written for a specific cartridge - that is, it's written for any gameboy cartridge with a battery (which is most of them).

Of course there could be LSDJ-specific cartridges or cartridge-specific LSDJs, but that presents three problems. First, it could mean that LSDJ would have to be rewritten, which would be a huge pain in the neck. Second, it would mean that the new version of LSDJ wouldn't run on the EMS/BleepBloop/SmartBoy carts that everyone already has. Third, it would mean that you couldn't run anything other than LSDJ on the cartridge (unless it was also specifically designed for it), which would be disappointing for anyone who wanted to run Carillon/Tetris/Pokemon or anything else. It would basically make LSDJ more nanoloop-ish in design, and I think that the more 'open' seeming separation between hardware and software that LSDJ has is one of the reasons a lot of people prefer it.

Cleveland, OH

Love my EMS cart. Had nothing but problems with my Bleep Bloop. The battery holder literally fell off and I lost my sav of course.

Sweeeeeeden

justinthursday: Should've used LittleFM... Can store save data in flash, but only on bleepbloops.

GOD DAMN IT. I just lost one of the project files for one of my best tracks. UGHH

Sweeeeeeden

Frostbyte: Tell me the more. I might be able to help.

Ah, basically I just opened up the file and everything is corrupted and messed up. Phrase 99s, tempo keeps going to 40 and whatnot. All kinds of crazy stuff. All my other tracks are good to go though

Sydney, NSW
Frostbyte wrote:

Ah, basically I just opened up the file and everything is corrupted and messed up. Phrase 99s, tempo keeps going to 40 and whatnot. All kinds of crazy stuff. All my other tracks are good to go though

That happens to me.
I used to get phrase 3As and 40 tempo as well. Basically, if not too much is corrupted, you can fix it all up manually.

Also, because the 3A/99 phrases are empty, running a quick Clear Song Data from LSDJ should clear them right off.

I thought LSDJ phrases only went up to 7F...