Gosford, Australia

Phrases go to FF, chains go to 7F smile

I've yet to experience real problems with either of my EMS carts, but I've come frighteningly close.

Sweeeeeeden

Correction: Phrases go to FE. FF is used internally for storing empty steps.

Cleveland, OH
nitro2k01 wrote:

justinthursday: Should've used LittleFM... Can store save data in flash, but only on bleepbloops.

Go on...

The Central Coast, Australia

The only real issue I've experienced with my EMS cart is the whole driver issue, and even then it's only really an inconvenience.

Gosford, Australia
nitro2k01 wrote:

Correction: Phrases go to FE. FF is used internally for storing empty steps.

mind blown!

nitro, is there anything you think you can do? sad

Nanoloop and lsdj were more or less developed in parallel (with nanoloop starting 1-2 years earlier). In the beginning, we both simply bought flash carts in bulk, put our software on them and sold these carts as nanoloop/lsdj carts. However, flahs carts were expensive and manufactorers were sued by Nintendo so that they more and more disappeared. Johan kept selling flash carts and probably at some point decided to distribute the software only and leave the cart business to others. For nanoloop, I decided go "mass" production with ROM carts (like commercial games but from the same shady Hong Kong based companies as the flash carts). This went well for a few years, but it was difficult because production was very slow and often suddenly cancelled alltogether. I therefore wanted to design my own PCB with flash and just get the plastic shell from China (nanoloop 1.3). At that point I asked Johan wether we should join forces and develop a cart that would suit both, lsdj and nanoloop. He said he would "come back to me" - which he never did. So the nanoloop cart became a nanoloop-only cart.

I think there is no EEPROM or flash in the standard cart model because at the time when the Game Boy was released (1989), such parts were too expensive or didn't even exist. Flash is also much slower compared to SRAM which can be used real-time, like and extended RAM (and unfortunately it can also be wiped just as fast). However, today, flash is cheap and fast enough, allthough it is still tricky to handle.
It would probably be difficult to make an lsdj-version that runs on a nanoloop-like flash-only cart.