ohio gozaimasu

Hello, this is Cooshinator. I've barely ever posted here, but I love reading some of these discussions and thought I'd take a shot.

So basically, I have only one IRL friend that's into chipmusic (I got him into it). Whenever I play some chip to other people, I always get some really interesting reactions. Here are a few examples:

-When I played J. Arthur Keenes in front of my family, they said things like, "It sounds like he's on drugs", "It sounds like Mario", and "It sounds like he's going to kill himself"
-When I played little-scale's "Error Repeat" in front of my language arts class, several people said "It sounds like Space Invaders" (Which doesn't have music)
-Upon playing them J. Arthur Keenes, one girl thought it was the Killers and told me she knew the song
-My 13 year old sister dances to pretty much anything I play, and when played Electric Children she said, "They should sell this to Shake it Up (The oh-so-splendid Disney show) and make a lot of money"
-This same sister, when played Downstate, ilkae, and Falling for a Square, told me that it sounds like horror movie music
-She also can never tell the difference between my music and Electric Children's (http://cooshinator.bandcamp.com/album/cooshinator-ep as compared to http://electricchildren8bit.bandcamp.com)
-One of my friends makes music in FL Studio and actually quite enjoyed my lsdj stuff, but he told me, "this sounds like 16-bit"

What reactions have you heard? I've never played a live show, so I'm probably missing out on a lot

buffalo, NY

MARIO AT A _______

danimal cannon wrote:

_____ AT A RAVE

California

Most of the reactions I've got are of the "Whoa, that's pretty awesome!" kind. The only special response I've ever gotten was when I played some Roboctopus tracks at a party. One guy came up to me and complained about playing "nerdy video game music" and said that chiptune isn't music. And then we got into this big argument about the definition of music. Fun times.

Gosford, Australia

only the same reaction I get to any other music I play: "THIS IS GAY PUT AEROSMITH BACK ON"

always bloody aerosmith!

The last time I showed anyone, we were in the car. He pulled over and just sat on the side of the road and listened to all the demos that I have for Codex with me, straight through, said nothing until the end... he looked at me and was like "you are a god, bro."

Anything other than that was just like, "oh that's pretty cool"

buffalo, NY
Victory Road wrote:

only the same reaction I get to any other music I play: "THIS IS GAY PUT AEROSMITH BACK ON"

always bloody aerosmith!

I literally was asked to put Kesha back on once. 

The irony is the chiptune hints on Tik Tok... oh well.

México, DF.

I showed it to my math professor and he loved the interface (he uses Super Collider and, of course, knows almost everything about sound).
Then he asked me if I could show it to the class, so I made an exposition and got reactions like:

-How is that even possible?
-What the fuck! That dude is playing with a gameboy?

And got greets for "what I'm doing".
Also, my 1 year old niece loved it.

Last edited by eme7h (Dec 16, 2011 2:46 am)

ohio gozaimasu
Frostbyte wrote:

The last time I showed anyone, we were in the car. He pulled over and just sat on the side of the road and listened to all the demos that I have for Codex with me, straight through, said nothing until the end... he looked at me and was like "you are a god, bro."

Anything other than that was just like, "oh that's pretty cool"

I always tend to get good reactions when showing people my music. Once on the way back from a marching band competition, a good friend of mine was talking about dubstep (the Skrillex kind) and I told him it was stupid easy to make. I pulled out my gameboy and whipped up a stereotypical brostep jam in 5 minutes, only for him to go crazy about how awesome it was. He called me the "master of dubstep"

Austin, TX

Amongst my friends it is almost always a positive reaction, but they are all still relatively new to chiptunes and seem to mostly be impressed by the Gameboy usage.
My parents pull the "we love you and support you no matter what" card.
And I have yet to play live but can imagine what the response might be.

ohio gozaimasu

Ha, I haven't even told my parents that I make music. They haven't even been able to wrap the concept of "making video games" around their heads yet, so why bother?

"So what's this Mini-Kaoss Pad you want for Christmas?"
"It lets you control live audio effects"
"And why do you want it?"
"Stuff, I guess"

Last edited by Cooshinator (Dec 16, 2011 4:00 am)

Hey hey, don't hate complextro and that stuff...it's enjoyable if you ignore the standard audience haha. And it's not easy to make if you're gonna spend time on it and do it well.

Anyway, "stuff, i guess" is probably the most used answer I have for my parents haha.

San Francisco

I chip-busk around SF fairly regularly, and one of the best conversations I've had went something like:
"so like... are you playing a game?"
"actually, I compose music using this 4 channel sequencer and trigger the different channels to play songs"
"so... it's an instrument?"
"kinda, yeah"
"but it looks like a gameboy"
"it is a gameboy"
"oh... so like... do you really like tetris or something?"

yes. I, xombie, really like tetris.

Austin, TX
Cooshinator wrote:

Ha, I haven't even told my parents that I make music. They haven't even been able to wrap the concept of "making video games" around their heads yet, so why bother?

"So what's this Mini-Kaoss Pad you want for Christmas?"
"It lets you control live audio effects"
"And why do you want it?"
"Stuff, I guess"

Yeah, my parents aren't interested, but in the nicest way possible. My mother is a pre-k teacher and will play my EP for her kids during nap time and dance time. She always seems so pleased about how much they like it. Without her I would have never been able to corner the 4-year-old market.

ohio gozaimasu
Frostbyte wrote:

And it's not easy to make if you're gonna spend time on it and do it well.

Cooshinator wrote:

the Skrillex kind

sweden

"You do KNOW that it's not real music right?"