Hey all, John from Megabeep here. If you've read my blog you might know that my goal is to eventually grow the blog into a net label. I'm gearing up for the first Megabeep Prog-Chip Compilation release, for which there will soon be an open call for material. It will ultimately be available for very cheap download at Bandcamp or an equivalent site, and the modest proceeds will be toward the further development of the Megabeep label.

SO, my question is-- how do you facilitate the licensing of such a compilation? I want the artists to retain all rights but allow me commercial use in order to retain whatever modest proceeds I collect. I've heard the creative common license is good format, but how does that work exactly? Do I have each artist fill out a lisence for each individual track, or is it enough that I register one license active for the entire compilation.

I'm not sure I'm even asking the right questions since I'm new to this. Anyone have experience with this? Any help you can offer would be VERY helpful!

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

As long as the people involved trust YOU enough, licencing shouldn't be an issue really

ie, do whatever, though a single license for the comp (on bandcamp anyway) should be fine. Though I know for certain bandcamp let's you flexibly change licences on separate tracks.

Last edited by AndrewKilpatrick (Dec 18, 2011 10:12 pm)

AK: Okay. So maybe you'd recommend just an informal written agreement?

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/ this is license I used at Pxl-Bot and will most likely continue to use throughout my time on the web, though if you're super open and embracing of remixes/reworks etc then you may wish to change the derivation part of the license

megabeep wrote:

AK: Okay. So maybe you'd recommend just an informal written agreement?

Aye. I think everyone you're working with SHOULD know the deal anyhow tongue Though as long as you have proof you said what's what in case someone has an ego attack, you should be covered

Interesting. Yea, I also need them to allow commercial use, in the sense that it's a fund raiser for the label. Thanks AK.

Anytime, and kudos on the blog!!!

If you need a hand with anything else don't hesitate to throw me a PM

Great, thanks again AK. Anyone else have net label experience?

rochester, ny

i don't have net label experience per se, but i've put together two comp cds that i sell at shows i put on and "licensing" has never come up in conversation with any of 24+ artists i've talked to. it's rad you're taking this so seriously but most bands/artists are pretty laid back about this kind of thing too.

good luck!

Thanks Nick. Yea, I'm learning that such arrangements tend to be a bit more informal than I anticipated. Just want to ensure artists, however big or small, that their rights are safe. I'm hoping the comp gets a nice mix of established acts and new discoveries. Spread the word!