Trento, Italy

i know cubase is not a tracker but it seems the best solution to me if used in conjuntion with this:
http://dhs.nu/files.php?t=single&ID=64

you have access to the chip and the external module. you could program your midi in modplug to have a tracker interface during composition the swith to atari's cubase 4 reproduction.

Unsubscribe

whoa that looks awesome

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Awesome! Finally a couple cool looking solutions. Btw, thanks herr_prof for taking the time to PM me about it! Wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

Turku, FIN

You guys need this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … 500wt_1204

Unsubscribe

i actually heard the stacy is not all that.. is it just poor haters?

Np jeff!

New York City

EPSS looks as daunting and ultimately useless as Bars & Pipes.

Joliette, QC, Canada
akira^8GB wrote:

EPSS looks as daunting and ultimately useless as Bars & Pipes.

and it doesn't fit on a 720k disk ! tongue
...and speaking of STacy, my STacy 2 didn't want to run my ultrasatan ! So forget EPSS ! XD

Global Operator
jefftheworld wrote:

I'd prefer to find a tracker-style program that could send MIDI-out (maxymiser only seems to allow MIDI-in and clock-out) and in a perfect world I could also use channels 'internally' with the YM chip, allowing me to combine the sounds from both units.

Any recommendations along those lines?

Want to have the cake and eat it too? smile
I've been looking for something like that myself many years ago.
MIDI out is not implemented in Musicmon and probably never will.

The ST is still a workwhorse when it comes to MIDI sequencing, most sequencers require high resolution though (you have the monochrome monitor?). If it's just for the MIDI sequencing, I'd have a look at Notator too, older versions had nice tracker-like alpha-numeric interface.

http://tamw.atari-users.net/notator.htm

Global Operator

on that note:
http://networkawesome.com/2012-4-29/the … music-1986

London

well, a bit of thread-necromancy from STu, but I might as well comment.

maxYMiser has MIDI clock and Sync24 output, there are no plans to add any other outputs at this time.

I've searched for an Atari tracker which focuses on MIDI output for some time. I'm sad to say I couldn't find anything suitable. There are many non-tracker interface MIDI sequencers out there - as STu links, try Tim's Atari MIDI World

On PC and Mac, Renoise and Sunvox  both have MIDI out.

Regarding maxYMiser MIDI in, I am informed there is the occasional timing delay, but other than that the implementation is quite extensive. You can also configure it to work without a screen, which is handy for use as a sound module.

If anyone experiences timing lag, I would appreciate more info.

Edit:
as STu points out, the list view on Notator, and Notator alike programs is somewhat familiar to tracker users, but its not quite the same. I could never get on with it 'back in the day' maybe I should try again with it.

Last edited by gwEm (May 3, 2012 5:14 pm)

Global Operator

gwEm, atm I'm actually using your maxYMiser for exactly that task.
I haven't implemeted all controllers yet, but sure can give you some feedback in near future about eventual timing issues.
we can talk about it next weekend in germany i guess..

as an idea for what jefftheworld tries to do.
perhaps its interesting to run 2 ataris, one for MIDI control with monitor / sequencer, the other as a YM module, running maxYMiser without monitor. but then again i'd rather go for something like renoise etc. to give the MIDI

London
Stu wrote:

gwEm, atm I'm actually using your maxYMiser for exactly that task.
I haven't implemeted all controllers yet, but sure can give you some feedback in near future about eventual timing issues.
we can talk about it next weekend in germany i guess..

as an idea for what jefftheworld tries to do.
perhaps its interesting to run 2 ataris, one for MIDI control with monitor / sequencer, the other as a YM module, running maxYMiser without monitor. but then again i'd rather go for something like renoise etc. to give the MIDI

two ataris, one with notator and one with maxymiser would be a pretty cool setup smile

looking forward to see you in a few days!

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

To re-necro this thread, I ended up using an ATmega µc to drive the module. The device takes the midi clock from the Atari ST and plays back the midi data stored within it. It starts and stops in accordance with the midi start/stop signals so everything is automatically synced up nicely.

To compose the music I simply plug the module into my computer and write the parts with Renoise and I then export the midi (which was a task in itself to get working, since the version of Renoise I have lacks a midi export function) and convert it for use on my device. The device has a four LED binary 'display' and two buttons that let me scroll through up to fifteen midi sequences (stored on an SD card, since the chip I was using had only 256x8 bytes of eeprom and I didn't want to have to flash the rom every time I loaded a new song.

All in all, way more complicated than it needs to be. But fun.