Sydney, NSW

After using MOD-style trackers like Renoise and klystrack, I really wanna get into Commodore tracking.
I just wanna ask what emulator I should use, and what tracker should I start off with? If it helps, I've been working with LSDJ and Renoise mostly.

Cheers.

Tokyo, Japan

I would try goattracker which runs natively on win/lin/osx. Be aware c64 tracking is Pretty unfriendly to new users compared to renoise and lsdj. Good luck!

Tracking on C64 is easy, SID is a bit more difficult.

GoatTracker is really good for the starter. Also some SID guide will be helpful.

uhajdafdfdfa

yes Goat Tracker is RADDDDDD

i was scared of it for ages but after DIVING IN  i have found it to be a wondrous and joyful software

go for it !!

uhajdafdfdfa

if you want an emulator you should definitely use VICE! but you don't need an emulator for goat tracker

Unsubscribe

Plus if you learn goat tracker, you can upgrade to using it with a hardsid for real chip fun if you like it.

goat tracker goat tracker goat tracker goat tracker   the v1.X versions of it are much easier to learn than the 2.X versions, personally I recommend the 1.53-ish branches.

UK

yep 4mat hit nail on the head -

btw a good tip if you are starting out on Goattracker is learn on Goat 1.53x and once you are comfy in that open your tunes in Goat 2.x and explore how it converts the instruments - you'll be making ace sounds in no time at all :-)

England

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=81146

this goattracker tutorial helped me a lot.

Last edited by Jellica (Jan 6, 2012 10:15 am)

New York City

I guess nobody likes the real machine trackers anymore. I still want to get it on with SDI.

uhajdafdfdfa

p.s. there is a pdf that comes with the goat tracker download, goat_tracker_commands.pdf,  IT WOULD BE WISE TO READ IT!
edit: or even PRINT it!

Last edited by ant1 (Jan 6, 2012 12:30 pm)

akira^8GB wrote:

I guess nobody likes the real machine trackers anymore. I still want to get it on with SDI.

It's more the faffing around with disk drives that makes me recommend GT to beginners.  Seeing as most tools just give you a system channel to do maintenance in you can't even do a directory listing easily.   If we were going hardware I'd probably say JohnPlayer is an easy one to pick up.

New York City
4mat wrote:
akira^8GB wrote:

It's more the faffing around with disk drives that makes me recommend GT to beginners.

Who fiddles with disk drives and bit-rotten disks anymore these days anyway? tongue
SD2IEC or 1541U for the elite, and presto.

UK
akira^8GB wrote:
4mat wrote:

It's more the faffing around with disk drives that makes me recommend GT to beginners.

Who fiddles with disk drives and bit-rotten disks anymore these days anyway? tongue
SD2IEC or 1541U for the elite, and presto.

i heart my old disk drive and ancient floppies tongue