I have vertical lines on my DMG and have tried applying pressure to fix them even going so far as to apply a low heat soldering iron to the ribbon to no avail. I've been able to see little black marks approx. in scale with the missing lines, could these be impurities on the ribbon?

Also I cannot get all the pixel lines to fade/discolour as I have seen people do in most of the guides. Am I simply not applying enough pressure?

Heat is better than using pressure. Using pressure may cause even more issues.

I use a soldering iron with solder. Most people use a clean tip, but I find it works better if you add solder and clean it off after.

Apeshit wrote:

Heat is better than using pressure. Using pressure may cause even more issues.

I use a soldering iron with solder. Most people use a clean tip, but I find it works better if you add solder and clean it off after.

I second this technique. With solder works best, I have tried both ways.

Also should I be applying this to the general area from which the double sided tape came or am I missing the connecting point entirely?

Is it safe to do while the DMG is on?

Rhode Island

general area works but it is offset slightly. do it while it is on and tint is all the way up. then you can see your progress.

remember to hold it there for a little bit. it will flicker and discolor for a couple seconds. when you take the iron off look for the lines to fade back or flicker back. if they keep disappearing keep at it. i wouldnt worry too much about damaging the screen, i have found they are pretty resilient

Matthew Joseph Payne

That's the right area. It is safe to do with the dmg on, and much easier since you can actually tell what's happening. turn the contrast all the way up so the screen is black.

Thirded on using an iron with solder - transfers the heat better.

Well I've attempted to solder and apply pressure to recolor some of the columns but only one came back, one started going out, and the other three (none at the edges) would not discolor even for a moment.

Have there been other cases of unfixable columns or other places to try applying the fix to? I've nearly (read: partially) melted the damn brown ribbon off in some spots.

Might be time to start looking for other upper PCBs. Perhaps an LCD replacement will suffice although I've read they are quite difficult.

Matthew Joseph Payne

You'll need to replace the entire PCB. It's theoretically possible to replace the LCD but nobody has done it successfully.

Sadly, sometimes those lines just die, and aren't coming back.

All the help is much appreciated, now I'll know what to do when I get my next "as is" gameboy as they are currently the only DMGs in my budget range.

Perhaps someone know where I could procure only the top pcb without buying a unit.

Matthew Joseph Payne

People here and on 8bc sometimes have parts to sell, keep an eye out, or even just ask around! smile