San Diego

Ok, I'm making this thread for anyone wanting to backlight a MGB. I recently tried to do this mod for the first time and thought I was being careful enough with the screen and from every tutorial I found on the matter none of them really said much other then "BE VERY CAREFUL!" This doesn't really do much to tell me what I'm supposed to be careful with since I've backlit a DMG before and it's obviously not the same beast. So, in part I've included some pics to show where I made the mistake. Sadly they're not from the beginning of the project but they still show at least a way to prevent what I did wrong.

So when trying to remove the back film you don't have as much room to play with as you do with a DMG. The real issue is the ribbon on the bottom of the screen. This is the most fragile part other then the screen itself.

If you push on that tab where the ribbon cable is connected, or if you pull to hard on the cable itself while removing the film, you can and will start to break the contacts. This can not be seen with the naked eye however. Think of it like bending a wire back and forth to much till it breaks from the tension. Since these contacts are surrounded by an adhesive, they can break and still look like they are connected. This image is only after I noticed that those contacts had been broken, just a small tug to pull the part from the adhesive holding it yielded me this.

As a suggestion, if you plan to try this mod use a piece of tape to secure the ribbon down. Don't use to much force when trying to get under the ribbon to remove the film. Don't under any circumstance place your thumb or finger on that tab when removing the film since any pressure against it can bend/break it. As stated by most, take your time.

I hope this helps for anyone that is wanting to try this mod for themselves.

Last edited by Vile (Dec 31, 2011 9:03 pm)

Spain

This post is very useful, thanks! I broke 3 MGB screens before learning how to clean the glue residue correctly. This might sound impossible but I once managed to unsolder the lower contacts and solder them back after cleaning the screen. This requires luck most of the time. Also, don't do it unless you can afford a replacement Pocket (here they're over 10€ each so I slow down on the cleaning to avoid mistakes). Oh, and happy new year!

BC, Canada

Yeah, I kinda messed up backlighting my MGB (only took 45 minutes; I guess I was a little forceful). At first, it was perfect; nothing went wrong. After a while (of packing it around with me everywhere), the contacts started to loosen or something and now I have some lighter lines near the centre of my screen, but they go away when I unscrew the Gameboy a bit and adjust the screen unit a bit.

This probably goes for the MGB as well (haven't been inside one for a while), but I'd suggest using a hot air soldering iron when desoldering a DMG LCD ribbon cable; it's a LOT easier. I messed one up by using a cheap soldering iron and had to buy a new DMG.

San Diego

After this first failed attempt I actually succeeded at my second doing this trick. Sadly there was a horizontal line that I wasn't able to check for so I'm not sure if the unit was opened prior to me purchasing it or not. Either way, I used the tape like I did here and didn't have any issues with it. I did also find that scotch tape does really well at removing finger print smudges off the screen. wink