Montclair, NJ

Simply because I purchased nanoloop 1.6 hoping for a sound completely different sound than LSDJ, however it would seem I would have more wanted a 2.x for that. 1.6 sounds too chippy, and confuses me (I went through the whole 2.3 lazerbeat tutorial before i got it, and it didnt really transition over -___-). Also, it lacks the features I'd want for thrashing.

Post here or email at [email protected] if interested.

The cart is in perfect condition. I've had it for only 2 weeks and have used it not that much, so maybe it has a dust partical or two on it, but thats it.

Philly, PA, USA
A Versus B wrote:

Simply because I purchased nanoloop 1.6 hoping for a sound completely different sound than LSDJ, however it would seem I would have more wanted a 2.x for that. 1.6 sounds too chippy, and confuses me (I went through the whole 2.3 lazerbeat tutorial before i got it, and it didnt really transition over -___-). Also, it lacks the features I'd want for thrashing.

The cart is in perfect condition. I've had it for only 2 weeks and have used it not that much, so maybe it has a dust partical or two on it, but thats it.

good luck getting that trade, a 2.3 cart costs almost twice as much as a 1.6

pixls wrote:
A Versus B wrote:

good luck getting that trade, a 2.3 cart costs almost twice as much as a 1.6

how about you just sell it to me and use some of that money to get you 2.X

San Francisco

a game boy is always going to sound like a game boy. 2.x still sounds chippy and thin to my ears so i wouldnt expect anything different. you want to leave chip realm go with lgpt. truly lets you depart with your sound. it can be anything you feed it and still gives you the comfortable mobile composing capabilities.
Only difference is that it uses sample synthesis instead of just simple digital waves.

2.5 can be great tho but just know what you are getting into. it can only go so far sound wise.

If nanoloop 2.x sounds chippy and thin, use headphones.
Seriously, there is nothing Game Boy specific in nanoloop 2.x's sound, it's a softsynth. Of course it's limited due to the limited CPU power of the GBA and the 8-bit DAC, but compared to the original GB, sound is very different and the range is very broad. The great advantage, especially for mobile composing, is that you can create sounds instead of just loading them from a fixed sample library.

I'm sorry for advertising nanoloop here. I just couldn't leave this "a game boy is always going to sound like a game boy" statement uncommented.

New York, NY

Get both!
Sorry. I'm a big fan of 1x and 2x.

xo

Montclair, NJ

Delete this thread please. It's not gonna work out, I'll just stick with 1.6.

Philly, PA, USA
oliver wrote:

If nanoloop 2.x sounds chippy and thin, use headphones.
Seriously, there is nothing Game Boy specific in nanoloop 2.x's sound, it's a softsynth. Of course it's limited due to the limited CPU power of the GBA and the 8-bit DAC, but compared to the original GB, sound is very different and the range is very broad. The great advantage, especially for mobile composing, is that you can create sounds instead of just loading them from a fixed sample library.

I'm sorry for advertising nanoloop here. I just couldn't leave this "a game boy is always going to sound like a game boy" statement uncommented.

yeah have to agree, dude, WDUWSTS, you know what sounds that shit can make, it a little bare but shit gets heavy.

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩
wedanced wrote:

2.x still sounds chippy and thin

I disagree

A Versus B wrote:

Delete this thread please. It's not gonna work out, I'll just stick with 1.6.

psh....psh!!...PPPSSSHHHH!!!!!!   

lol, im just searching for a cash trade with SOMEBODY is all....You really should keep it big_smile

Last edited by shitbird (Jan 30, 2012 9:33 pm)

San Francisco

lol think you guys misunderstood my poorly written statement.

in 1.x series a gameboy is always going to sound like a gameboy (original gameboy).

gba has updated sound features including wat is basically a simple lo rez sample sound output (hire rez then a dmg tho). i assume that nl 2.x uses its program to create digital information and the sample channels are used to output the info in a analog form rather then the sounds being hardwired like in a dmg, sid, and 2a03 or something as the gba has no specified fm sound chip.

as for the gba and 2.x.... well i find the noise channel to be thin and not to have the same punch/crunch of the original's noise channel it sounds like the noise is being shaped with filters only and isn't as dramatically effected by pitch regulations. I also miss the short noise loops that create the more metallic sounds that you can hear. maybe i am just not implementing it right. /me shrugs

also the fm may not sound like a regular 8bit chip but it still has that 2op fm sine based sound like the early fm chips seen in old computers tho it is implemented differently. For me the metallic tones that is put out by the fm does sound thin like tinking little cans and stuff. its probably not fair to say that it is only capable of sounding thin and those kind of timbers because you get into the lower octaves you can get some dirtiness.

anyways. believe it or not i actually really have been into 2.x lately and i know i seem to give oliver a hardtime but i do actually quite enjoy the software. I use the 1.x, 2.x, and ios versions. i am kinda am just a critical guy guys sometimes.
enjoy some proof.

West Yorks, UK

wedanced, there is a key combo that will change the white noise from the thin one you mention to thew metallic esque sound of the 1.x seriues noise in the second mode. there is also a third noise mode if i remeber correctly. i havent used 2.x for a long time so im not suree of the keys you need to press or if there is really a third noise mode. but look into it man! could just be select

San Francisco
Domu wrote:

wedanced, there is a key combo that will change the white noise from the thin one you mention to thew metallic esque sound of the 1.x seriues noise in the second mode. there is also a third noise mode if i remeber correctly. i havent used 2.x for a long time so im not suree of the keys you need to press or if there is really a third noise mode. but look into it man! could just be select

there is one where you just push select and another where you do left shoulder and b i believe. yeah i feel like it still doesn't get that pop.